Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff

Yes, USD (plus tax plus service charge, though also with a 20% discount for platinum members). Prices seem to be fairly standard though maybe slightly on the high side for resorts in the Maldives, which honestly I think is reasonable enough when you consider all the logistics. The W prices are maybe a bit higher but the St Regis prices in many cases don’t seem so far off from what I would expect to pay at a nice hotel on South Beach for example, although on South Beach I wouldn’t necessarily pay that much for every meal during a trip, as one must in the Maldives.
Those prices have been increased by at least 50% since I was there in Februaey this year. Really disappointing.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by porkie

Those prices have been increased by at least 50% since I was there in Februaey this year. Really disappointing.
Those prices have increased by a couple of dollars for most items just since the menu they sent me on 9/1/18!
porkie likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
I've booked a stay in April, those food prices are making me wince, particularly with the inflation.

I'm currently booked on points. They've offered me an upgrade to an Overwater Oasis suite $431 including tax per night.

Can anyone speak to whether it's worth it?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MrM2016
I've booked a stay in April, those food prices are making me wince, particularly with the inflation.

I'm currently booked on points. They've offered me an upgrade to an Overwater Oasis suite $431 including tax per night.

Can anyone speak to whether it's worth it?
Interesting ... my quote for OWV upgrade on points (stay in January) was only $332 including tax. I actually cancelled the booking that quote applied to in order to rebook on different dates, I guess I should get a quote on the new booking too in case prices go up again!

The price jumps on food are surprising too. I would otherwise think it sounds too conspiratorial to be true, but on the St Regis thread some had speculated that some ancillary costs may have increased to make up for the suddenly large number of points bookings after August 18.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Interesting ... my quote for OWV upgrade on points (stay in January) was only $332 including tax. I actually cancelled the booking that quote applied to in order to rebook on different dates, I guess I should get a quote on the new booking too in case prices go up again!

The price jumps on food are surprising too. I would otherwise think it sounds too conspiratorial to be true, but on the St Regis thread some had speculated that some ancillary costs may have increased to make up for the suddenly large number of points bookings after August 18.
I've booked over the Easter weekend so I wonder if that is attracting a premium or whether they are simply, as you say, compensating for the increase in points bookings.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:15 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
RE: Cash upgrades, keep in mind the upgrade price in points is only 20,000 points a night. Depending on how you value Marriott, say 0.8 - 0.9 cents a point, the point upgrade cost is $160-$180 a night (all-in). That may help you with your decision.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Just another data point, finally got around to calling SPG again and as others have reported, I was able to book the OWV directly with points for an average of 68K points per night for 5 nights (60K base award+20K upgrade per night with the fifth night free on the 60K part only), which I'm very happy with.

The W had otherwise quoted me a cash upgrade price on the 60K booking of $332 per night including tax, and I would otherwise have paid it, so 20K points to avoid $332 of spend is a pretty great deal for Marriott points these days IMO.

The St. Regis charges many more points for an overwater suite upgrade, so I have no idea what the rules around this are supposed to be, but I'll take it.
MrM2016 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:39 am

Just another data point, finally got around to calling SPG again and as others have reported, I was able to book the OWV directly with points for an average of 68K points per night for 5 nights (60K base award+20K upgrade per night with the fifth night free on the 60K part only), which I'm very happy with.

The W had otherwise quoted me a cash upgrade price on the 60K booking of $332 per night including tax, and I would otherwise have paid it, so 20K points to avoid $332 of spend is a pretty great deal for Marriott points these days IMO.

The St. Regis charges many more points for an overwater suite upgrade, so I have no idea what the rules around this are supposed to be, but I'll take it.
Thanks for the data point. I'm going to attempt to do the same (got to find the extra 100k points first though!).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Milestalk and bgriff: Thanks for your feedback. I have just successfully booked an overwater suite for 5 nights with the 20k upgrade, so 340k all in (68k/night). I calculate that as >2 cents per point value, so a great redemption.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Milestalk and bgriff: Thanks for your feedback. I have just successfully booked an overwater suite for 5 nights with the 20k upgrade, so 340k all in (68k/night). I calculate that as >2 cents per point value, so a great redemption.
I am also looking to book this property for Aug. I have about 228k points in my account now. I have booked a Spectacular lagoon oasis for cash for the dates I need - when I have the points I will just cancel the cash reservation and book it on points. I was quoted $250++ per night for the nights I wanted - it was a fabulous overwater oasis though. Anyone know the difference between the two? Spectacular costs more in cash about $200 per night for the dates I checked.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:11 am

Thanks for the data point. I'm going to attempt to do the same (got to find the extra 100k points first though!).
Originally Posted by Ksw299
I am also looking to book this property for Aug. I have about 228k points in my account now. I have booked a Spectacular lagoon oasis for cash for the dates I need - when I have the points I will just cancel the cash reservation and book it on points. I was quoted $250++ per night for the nights I wanted - it was a fabulous overwater oasis though. Anyone know the difference between the two? Spectacular costs more in cash about $200 per night for the dates I checked.
I was able to upgrade to OWV for one night for 20k using a separate reservation, not enough points to upgrade to OWV for the other 5 nights.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:40 am

I assume that you will have the points you need prior to December 31? From my research the difference seems to be only location of the OWV - no actual room differences.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:49 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Are you hoping to book the 60K points / night garden villa or the 80K points / night fabulous overwater villa? Holding the spectacular booking in cash won't help you with either -- AFAIK you can't book a spectacular directly with points, so having that on hold doesn't help reserve a spot for you to later use points.

If there are no garden and/or fabulouses on sale for cash, then they wouldn't be available once you save the points either.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:50 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Gunner14
I assume that you will have the points you need prior to December 31? From my research the difference seems to be only location of the OWV - no actual room differences.
If they only want to book the 60K room, in theory it should be possible to do a points advance booking at that rate sometime between when the W cuts over to Marriott's booking engine (scheduled for late November) and December 31.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I am confident I will have the diff made by Dec 31 based on my CC spend and upcoming stays - a 3 night and a 7 night stay.

Are you hoping to book the 60K points / night garden villa or the 80K points / night fabulous overwater villa? Holding the spectacular booking in cash won't help you with either -- AFAIK you can't book a spectacular directly with points, so having that on hold doesn't help reserve a spot for you to later use points.

If there are no garden and/or fabulouses on sale for cash, then they wouldn't be available once you save the points either.
When I called starwood CS they said only GV and Spectacular lagoon oasis were available on points. That's why I booked it on cash. May be the people who have actually booked the OWB can comment which one they booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.