Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
My folio from the Dolphin is definitely a Sheraton folio but I seem to remember reading somewhere that in the beginning Disney forbade branded shops, restaurants and hotels in WDW. Every element of the Disney World was to be “imagineered” rather than branded so you had “Ample Hills Creamery” rather than Haagen Dazs and the “Boardwalk Bakery” rather than Greggs! As Disney has sought ever more diverse means of monetising its world so the brand names such as Starbucks have crept in but I think the unbranded Swan and Dolphin is a product of the earlier days and contracts which still apply.

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Mar 14, 2019 at 6:15 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
As Disney has sought ever more diverse means of monetising its world so the brand names such as Starbucks have crept in but I think the unbranded Swan and Dolphin is a product of the earlier days and contracts which still apply.
Actually, even now the Starbucks shops in the parks have masked branding, with the one in Hollywood Studios being called The Trolley Car Cafe on the signs and maps, for example. There is some Starbucks branding on the shops, but it's made to be secondary to the theme.

I think the only exception is the shopping and entertainment district of Disney Springs.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott LTT+Amb., BA GGL, Flying Blue LTP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We are regulars @ Swan & Dolphin (We do 4 or 5 stays a year in those 2 properties since about 20 years). We are currently in the middle of a 6 days stay the Dolphin. That was our first checkin under the new brand BonVoy. As an ambassador, we've been treated about the same than we were as SPG platinum. On this checkin, they gave us the choice between a suite with limited view, and a regular room with Balcony/firework view. We chose the view. (5-6 years ago our suite upgrade rate was about 90% and it was 2 bedroom suites with nice view) - now, suite upgrade is more close to 5 %). We book usually a resort view, and we are 90% upgraded to a Balcony/firework view.

Even if Swan and Dolphin are 2 different hotels, they are totally linked. That means that you can charge your expenses to your room on both properties, you can use the gym or the pool in both properties. For the breakfast amenities, they give you one coupon for 2 per day. You can use them either in Fresh (Dolphin) or in Garden Groove (Swan) whatever hotel you stay. We do prefer Fresh (Dolphin) as they have now homemade freshly squeezed orange juice, and the waiters are really friendly! I recommend Garden Groove for the weekends as they have Disney Characters on Saturdays and Sundays. (Menu are about the same in Fresh and Garden groove - except for orange juice)The Continental breakfast gives you access to every cold items (Pastries, fruit, etc). If you want hot items (Eggs, saussages, wafles, etc) , you have to upgrade $8 per person.

Rooms are about the same in Swan (Westin) and Dolphin (Sheraton). Honestly, I don't really see a big difference between the 2 hotels. We prefer Dolphin: it's bigger. You have a direct access to the Dolphin Gym (Swan Gym has no inside access- If it rains, you get wet to get in) and the Laundry is located inside the Dolphin. But some can prefer the "intimacy" of the Swan :-)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Ericdeparis
We are regulars @ Swan & Dolphin (We do 4 or 5 stays a year in those 2 properties since about 20 years). We are currently in the middle of a 6 days stay the Dolphin. That was our first checkin under the new brand BonVoy. As an ambassador, we've been treated about the same than we were as SPG platinum. On this checkin, they gave us the choice between a suite with limited view, and a regular room with Balcony/firework view. We chose the view. (5-6 years ago our suite upgrade rate was about 90% and it was 2 bedroom suites with nice view) - now, suite upgrade is more close to 5 %). We book usually a resort view, and we are 90% upgraded to a Balcony/firework view.

Even if Swan and Dolphin are 2 different hotels, they are totally linked. That means that you can charge your expenses to your room on both properties, you can use the gym or the pool in both properties. For the breakfast amenities, they give you one coupon for 2 per day. You can use them either in Fresh (Dolphin) or in Garden Groove (Swan) whatever hotel you stay. We do prefer Fresh (Dolphin) as they have now homemade freshly squeezed orange juice, and the waiters are really friendly! I recommend Garden Groove for the weekends as they have Disney Characters on Saturdays and Sundays. (Menu are about the same in Fresh and Garden groove - except for orange juice)The Continental breakfast gives you access to every cold items (Pastries, fruit, etc). If you want hot items (Eggs, saussages, wafles, etc) , you have to upgrade $8 per person.

Rooms are about the same in Swan (Westin) and Dolphin (Sheraton). Honestly, I don't really see a big difference between the 2 hotels. We prefer Dolphin: it's bigger. You have a direct access to the Dolphin Gym (Swan Gym has no inside access- If it rains, you get wet to get in) and the Laundry is located inside the Dolphin. But some can prefer the "intimacy" of the Swan :-)
Four or five times per year? Wow. You must really like Disney.

Is there any difference in furnishings, TVs, or services (turndown service, as an example)?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Four or five times per year? Wow. You must really like Disney.

Is there any difference in furnishings, TVs, or services (turndown service, as an example)?
LOL -- @Ericdeparis is far from the only one who likes Disney a lot.

The one main difference I've noted is the Dolphin rooms with two beds are listed as having two doubles, while at the Swan they are two queens, even though the basic rooms at the Swan are listed as being slightly smaller (340 sq.ft. vs 360 sq.ft.)

Other than that, you'd have a tough time telling their rooms apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.