FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/774016-sheraton-imperial-kuala-lumpur-malaysia-master-thread.html)

Melodsal Jan 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Great hotel with excellent staff that know me by name. I love the Japanese restaurant here.

I am surprised you expected to be upgraded here: I have been staying here every month and have never once been upgraded to a suite- it may be a problem of allocation between smoking and non smoking. I have asked before and they have always apologized and said that only smoking suites were available.

yosithezet Jan 15, 2016 9:44 pm

I get suites maybe 30% of the time here.

Kenji Jan 19, 2016 5:38 am

Suite upgrade success 100% in the past years

Shareholder Jan 19, 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Kenji (Post 26042109)

Same here, but I tend to visit on off-peak periods. (Sorry to mislead you MG.) Very welcoming staff. I enjoy taking the monorail from KL Sentral now that it's linked through an air conditioned mall. My best remembrance of staying here was one of the early visits, albeit not upgraded to a suite, but room had a spectacular view of the Petronus Towers during an electrical storm. Recorded on video several minutes of lightening strikes, amazing!

saltytheseagull Jan 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Where should I eat breakfast? In the lounge or the restaurant?

yosithezet Jan 19, 2016 5:48 pm

I prefer the lounge as I'm usually grabbing a quick bite before heading to meetings.

margarita girl Jan 19, 2016 9:57 pm

I haven't been to the lounge for breakfast but I'm sure it can't come close to the size and variety available in the restaurant!

Melodsal Feb 4, 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kenji (Post 26042109)

Now I know who has been getting all the upgrades here!

It's probably fair to say that upgrades here may depend on stay patterns and duration.

josep Apr 7, 2016 3:20 pm

Going to KL for a couple of nights.
As SPG Platinum for a stay on points, would you choose the Sheraton or the Aloft?

kodansha999 Apr 7, 2016 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by josep (Post 26452546)
Going to KL for a couple of nights.
As SPG Platinum for a stay on points, would you choose the Sheraton or the Aloft?

I prefer the Aloft, its newer and service is better IMO.
As SPG Platinum you'll get upgraded to higher floor with free mini bar and welcome drinks. The breakfast is good too.

Sheraton on the other hand is really aged, service may not be consistent.
The lounge is not big and the staffs gets overwhelmed when it's busy.

estnet Apr 7, 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 26452892)
I prefer the Aloft, its newer and service is better IMO.
As SPG Platinum you'll get upgraded to higher floor with free mini bar and welcome drinks. The breakfast is good too.

Sheraton on the other hand is really aged, service may not be consistent.
The lounge is not big and the staffs gets overwhelmed when it's busy.

Totally disagree, when was the last time you stayed at the Sheraton?

The lounge is HUGE (just renovated last year) with the biggest choice of food I have ever seen at "happy hour". There are self serve wines, so not sure what you are saying about staff being overwhelmed unless you mean they don't clear the tables as promptly as they might? Plus the view is great.
The rooms have been renovated as well. Platinum ug include large suites and breakfast in either the lounge or regular restaurant and you still get Plat amenity points.

Aloft is newer, but their rooms are smaller and the appeal is to younger people in general (staff wears blue jeans, etc). That said the GM there is excellent so I expect the service is too. When I stayed there shortly after it opened there were no real Platinum benefits offered (no free breakfast, etc) but I think that has changed

travelswithmyself Apr 7, 2016 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 26453674)
Totally disagree, when was the last time you stayed at the Sheraton?

The lounge is HUGE (just renovated last year) with the biggest choice of food I have ever seen at "happy hour". There are self serve wines, so not sure what you are saying about staff being overwhelmed unless you mean they don't clear the tables as promptly as they might? Plus the view is great.
The rooms have been renovated as well. Platinum ug include large suites and breakfast in either the lounge or regular restaurant and you still get Plat amenity points.

Aloft is newer, but their rooms are smaller and the appeal is to younger people in general (staff wears blue jeans, etc). That said the GM there is excellent so I expect the service is too. When I stayed there shortly after it opened there were no real Platinum benefits offered (no free breakfast, etc) but I think that has changed

My stay was Jun 2015; when was yours? Food selection was decent but not outstanding nor huge in variety - you want to talk huge and great quality, check out Le Meridien KUL.

Rooms - booked SIX rooms - no suite upgrade, rooms large but old-styled and with that musty look and feel.

Sorry don't agree at all with your review :P

Anyway, I would choose the Aloft for the convenience out of the airport Ekspres. If I wanted a lounge etc I would go for the LeM.

kodansha999 Apr 7, 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself (Post 26453719)
My stay was Jun 2015; when was yours? Food selection was decent but not outstanding nor huge in variety - you want to talk huge and great quality, check out Le Meridien KUL.

Rooms - booked SIX rooms - no suite upgrade, rooms large but old-styled and with that musty look and feel.

Sorry don't agree at all with your review :P

Anyway, I would choose the Aloft for the convenience out of the airport Ekspres. If I wanted a lounge etc I would go for the LeM.

I really thought that should be Le Meridien's lounge. Huge and renovated last year with the biggest selection of food during happy hour. :p

travelswithmyself Apr 7, 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 26453737)
I really thought that should be Le Meridien's lounge. Huge and renovated last year with the biggest selection of food during happy hour. :p

Exactly! Maybe he/she got it mixed up...

[Edit] Maybe it _has_ been renovated since - the pictures on SPG.com - the first pic looks like the old lounge, the second looks different...

[Edit] Rooms look the same though ... certainly not renovated

ean2015 Apr 7, 2016 10:41 pm

In fact this is true that the lounge for Sheraton Imperial KL is rather poor and crowded during peak hour.

If you are a platinum member, highly recommend you to choose LeMeridien KL instead as most of their room has been renovated and your chances of getting upgraded is higher too. But during off-peak hour, Sheraton KL tends to be more friendly but it is not consistent each time I visit Sheraton KL.

So it is a hit and miss...