Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Mexico City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just back from a couple of nights at the W. This was our first visit to Mexico City and we chose the W due to location and a great deal via BRG. We don't usually seek out W's (except Hong Kong and Taipei) as I get less patient with them over time and we now travel with a small-ish child, but this stay was largely a hit.

We arrived early morning (redeye) and our room wasn't ready, but after selecting breakfast as our Platinum amenity, we were told to go ahead and get breakfast, which was above and beyond and very much appreciated. Service was pretty spectacular as we were greeted by name by all of the staff throughout the meal (and they continued to do so the next day). Very solid buffet for a North American property and the ability to order eggs from the menu.

Room ended up being ready mid-day. We upgraded to a Fantastic Suite using SNAs, though calling it a suite is very much a stretch (as is mentioned upthread). It was a junior suite at best, but still very nice. Huge floor to ceiling windows on two sides and fun decor as seen in ray1111's review upthread.

Location was great for us as there is a small park with a huge playground just north of the property and, as mentioned, many great dining options in the neighborhood. We loved being able to trek out to other areas during the day and stay close to the hotel for dinner each night.

We loved Mexico City and can't wait to get back. I'd be tempted to stay at the St. Regis on a future visit as it looks beautiful (and probably more to our tastes), but it would be hard not to return to the W after the great service and location.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
A few other notes:

Immigration at MEX was a disaster on arrival. 90 minutes to clear, masses of shoving people.

Took a taxi from MEX using Sitio 300. 300MXP and very easy, though some traffic. Driver even bought some churros from a vendor on the way.

At the hotel's recommendation, we used Uber several times. It was great and very cheap. Return to the airport was 168 MXP. Trip to Zocalo was 105 MXP. St. Regis to W was 40MXP (we got tired walking back from Zocalo).

We had a lunch at Porchetta and dinners at Comedor Jacinta and Agua y Sal, all of which are within a 5-10 minute walk of the W. I'd highly recommend all.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have an opinion on the W vs the JW for a Marriot Plat? 3 night weekend getaway with spouse. Better amenities, better chance of upgrade? Price for basic king room is comparable.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Anyone have an opinion on the W vs the JW for a Marriot Plat? 3 night weekend getaway with spouse. Better amenities, better chance of upgrade? Price for basic king room is comparable.
I've not stayed at the JW Marriott myself, but my Polanco Mexican friends (who tend to know what's what) swear by the JW Marriott and made me commit to staying there on my next visit to Mexico City.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I've not stayed at the JW Marriott myself, but my Polanco Mexican friends (who tend to know what's what) swear by the JW Marriott and made me commit to staying there on my next visit to Mexico City.
Agreed. JW Marriott Mexico City seems a much more solid, all rounded-up property.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I cannot recommend the JW. The service is good, but the hard product is disappointing. Windows are single paned and transmit lots of traffic noise from Chapultepec. Fitness center is possibly the smallest I've ever seen at a major hotel. Sold me a "suite" which was really just a 350 sq ft corner room with an armchair. Lounge is extremely meh.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I misread, the JW is actually around 200 USD/night and the W is around 300USD. Sounds like we will go with the JW. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I haven't stayed at the W so I can't compare. But, the JW was disappointing. As a Plat Premier, I received a basic upgrade and the lounge is pretty blah for a JW. On the positive side, the staff are very helpful. At a comparable rate, i'd check out the W. For $100 difference, I might stick with the JW.

They are basically next to each other. Polanco is a great neighborhood! Great restaurants and great museums. Enjoy!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Anyone stayed here recently and can report ?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:48 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
W Mexico City = Good Fit for W Brand

W Mexico City

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

W Mexico City

Campos Eliseos 252 Chapultepec Mexico City, MX 11560

W Mexico City = Good Fit for W Brand (19 Photos)

W Mexico City

During a mattress run in Mexico City I tried W to compare with other Marriott options and a few from other hotel chains as well.  While W is of a different style than most, given what W is intended to be I thought this hotel was quite good and I can recommend it.  

W is located in Polanco which will probably please several visitors and is a hot bed of international chain hotels.  W is right next door to JW Marriott and no far from Las Alcobas (Luxury Collection), InterContinental, and Hyatt Regency.

Room

I booked the entry level room and was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite as Ambassador Elite.  The room was not very spacious at 50 sqm and it was more like a larger room because there was no separation between the living room and the bedroom.  That said, the room was a good fit for the W brand because it was certainly not boring and bland.  I liked that the room was very bright with large windows and a nice city view, in fact there was even a window behind the toilet.  The window in the shower / bathtub area was perhaps less convenient however because due to the shape of the building there was a view of other rooms of the hotel from there so it was necessary to pull the curtains.  The room was nicely decorated with a local flavor including the large painting on the living room wall and the strip above the bed which contained several pieces of local art (wood animals) set in a lit glass enclosure.  There was no carpet at all and the floor was almost entirely shiny white tiles, making the room even brighter.  There was also a small balcony but the door was locked and it was necessary to call housekeeping to have access to it and it was more to stand up and enjoy the view - there was no chair there.  This hotel is not that recent but they entirely renovated it in 2015 and it showed; they did quite a good job with the renovations.  The one thing they could never change and which is the weakness of the room in my opinion: the ceiling was very low.  This might be an issue for tall guests.  

IMG_7184.jpegIMG_7185.jpegIMG_7186.jpegIMG_7187.jpegIMG_7189.jpegIMG_7190.jpegIMG_7191.jpegIMG_7192.jpegIMG_7193.jpegIMG_7194.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

Dining

The restaurant of the hotel was not very big so I wondered in times of high occupancy how they handle breakfast in that single room.  Anyway during my stay it was quiet, the menu was entirely a la carte with decent options and the food was delicious.  I also had lunch at that same restaurant which was excellent as well.  

IMG_7198.jpegIMG_7199.jpegIMG_7200.jpeg1_IMG_7201.jpegIMG_7209.jpegIMG_7210.jpegIMG_7211.jpeg

On the ground floor was the Living Room bar with some music which made the reception area a bit noisy.  One odd thing is that it was not possible to order drinks only, it was necessary to order at least one snack.  

IMG_7195.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well with speeds of 30-50 Mbps.

Overall

Overall W is a nice hotel, I liked the room design, dining was above average, and loyalty recognition was good with the suite upgrade.  I can recommend this property to people who like the W brand in general because it does what a W is intended to be quite well.  

W Mexico City = Good Fit for W Brand

Would you like to write a review on the W Mexico City?

No, thank you.
Yes
Kacee and 1999driver like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
First time at a W for family and myself. We stayed for four nights and used a mix of points and free night certificates. Upon arrival, they offered me an upgrade to a higher floor due to the fact that all suites had king beds only. I asked them to put me in a king bed and send a rollaway for son. Upgrade received was a Cool Corner room and it worked fine but a bit tight for three of us with the rollaway bed. Without the rollaway bed, it would be perfect. The room was totally different that what I am used to but it had a cool vibe. I really liked the fact that the shower had a shaving mirror and I wish that more hotels had that feature since I use one at home.

I chose the breakfast amenity and it comes with the full buffet, eggs cooked to order or oatmeal. They had the normal spread of breads, fruits, bacon or sausage, mixed vegetables and some Mexican hot dishes. On our second day, the vegetables had cheese on them so I asked them to make another plate of veggies for my family without cheese. They complied and at no charge. So every morning from that day out, we would get a full plate of sautéed veggies without cheese along with our eggs, fruit, bacon and breads. The cappuccino was also included with almond milk. My son wasn’t charged for his breakfast but my daughter was. I don’t remember how much the charge was but it was minimal because I think they charged her a kids breakfast.

The neighborhood is safe to walk around and lots of places to eat. We had stayed at the JW next door during our last visit but I didn’t care for it too much. We spent most of our day out doing tours since it was a first time for our kids to Mexico City and the hotel was used as a place to sleep and freshen up. WiFi was good enough for my son to play online games with his friends.

We plan on visiting Mexico City more often in the future and will more than likely choose this hotel as our base.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Wow, I had a MARVELOUS stay in my Marvelous Suite at the W Mexico City - the product, both hard and soft, was on point, and I would highly recommend this gem of a property! Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Used a SNA to upgrade myself into a Marvelous Suite, which is their 2nd highest suite type, and are bi-level loft suites with balconies on the top floor of the property - these are very similar to the WOW Suites at the W Montreal - the SNA was submitted the day before arrival and cleared at 5 PM hotel time the day before arrival (so 3 hours after the 2 PM deadline)
  • The suite was great - spacious with a nice green table for sitting, 1.5 bathrooms (main is upstairs), automated window shades, and a nice balcony looking out over Polanco (I had to sign a balcony waiver)
  • THE BED WAS MARVELOUS, FANTASTIC, WOW, WONDERFUL, EXTREME WOW (how many more W-isms can I use?) - seriously, the mattress was so plush, the pillows were great (at least the two non-feather ones that I used), the linens were soft, and the covers were the perfect thickness for Mexico - I went to bed early and did not want to get out of bed in the morning
  • Shower pressure was pretty decent (it fluctuated a tad), but temperature was strong, and there was a door so you had a nice steam room effect
  • Delivered a nice welcome gift of sparkling wine and a fruit, cheese, and nut plate
  • Lots of redundant light and AC controls next to the bed
  • Service at check-in from Andres was very friendly and efficient
  • Service at check-out from a female agent was fantastic (I wish I got her name) - probably one of the best interactions I've had in a while - lots of questions on how I enjoyed my stay, where I was traveling to, what my favorite items at breakfast were, some items to try at Starbucks, when I would be back - incredibly personable and fun conversation
  • Had to ask, but no issue with 4 PM late checkout, which I did use - no knocks, and I left at 3:40
  • The hotel uses a valid USD-MXN exchange rate, so I was actually charged in MXN at a level that came out to my USD cash price (yeah, Marriott Reforma, it can be done)
  • Welcome gift breakfast for Elites is the buffet in the 1st floor restaurant - nice buffet, but all eggs are made-to-order - I had a ham and cheese omelet, really crispy bacon, crispy hashbrowns, tasty smoked salmon, and a really good raisin cinnamon roll (better than the matcha roll I had first) - tips are extra, but otherwise, it was taken care of with no hassle
  • Really comfortable and plush W-branded slippers
Cons:
  • No Internet TV OS
  • There is a bit of wear-and-tear - one of my sink drain covers wouldn't raise, for example - but nothing terrible
Overall, I would highly recommend the W and look forward to returning at some point!

Photos:

Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do the bathrooms here still have hammocks in them?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Have a booking here in April for family. Hoping someone can help with a couple of details:

- Is there a lot of difference between the Wonderful, Spectacular and Fabulous rooms? Descriptions all seem to be the same, so kind of assuming it's mostly floor/view, but would appreciate any insight
- I notice the rooms are a pretty good size (listed at 387 sq. ft), but the max. capacity is officially 3, so booked as if we were 3 - haven't done this since kids were probably <3 or 4. Any reason why we shouldn't be able to be in a room with 2 adults/2 kids (they are 9 and 5)? We've seen much smaller hotel rooms, even with smaller beds, that have a max. of 4. So wondering if this might be an issue.
- I also notice the rates are listed in USD vs. MXP...why is this? I'm used to rooms, at least in the final step of booking, showing in the local currency amount. Is the room rate actually based on USD, or is it a MXP rate converted? Trying to figure out if the charge at check out might change somewhat...if it's based on MXP. We are also staying our last night at the Courtyard MEX before an early flight out, and that room also in USD, so figure it could be the same there? Just want to know what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.