Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Pool, Sauna, and Health Club Admittance Policy
  • The health club is closed on the first Thursday of every month.
  • Due to health club regulations and safety reasons, children under 12 years old are not allowed to enter the pool, even if accompanied by an adult.
  • An entrance fee applies for use of the pool, sauna, and health club.
  • Guests who have a tattoo may not be permitted to use the hotel’s pools or other facilities where the tattoo might be visible to other guests.
Club Lounge
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Aventine
That's not right. Foreign guests would love Shiseido as well. I know I would like the choice at least.
Absolutely and to be honest we would not have noticed had we not asked housekeeping for some additional bath salt products and they replenished our room with both Shiseido and the standard Sheraton offerings.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget

Absolutely and to be honest we would not have noticed had we not asked housekeeping for some additional bath salt products and they replenished our room with both Shiseido and the standard Sheraton offerings.

It simply be down to the fact that rennovated/refurbished rooms at the hotel have better quality amenities.
I had the same exact same thing happen at the Sheraton Miyako in Tokyo. Different soaps and shampoos (even better slippers) in the more modern rooms.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How would you compare this hotel with the Moxy and Courtyard if the price is similar? What about the area the Sheraton is in compared to these? I'll be staying 2 nights in December (just before Christmas). I already have 2 nights booked at the Courtyard after my trip to Kyoto so I guess it's between the Moxy or the Sheraton (both around 13k yen each inclusive of taxes, Sheraton is Premium Double, Moxy the standard Sleeper room). I'm Platinum. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
How would you compare this hotel with the Moxy and Courtyard if the price is similar? What about the area the Sheraton is in compared to these? I'll be staying 2 nights in December (just before Christmas). I already have 2 nights booked at the Courtyard after my trip to Kyoto so I guess it's between the Moxy or the Sheraton (both around 13k yen each inclusive of taxes, Sheraton is Premium Double, Moxy the standard Sleeper room). I'm Platinum. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sheraton is Full Service and would include Breakfast Buffet in the Restaurant with a paltry Executive Lounge whereas with Moxy you'd be getting pretty much nothing.

Personally, I'm okay with the Sheraton as it's close to the metro stops and central in Osaka.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Sheraton is Full Service and would include Breakfast Buffet in the Restaurant with a paltry Executive Lounge whereas with Moxy you'd be getting pretty much nothing.

Personally, I'm okay with the Sheraton as it's close to the metro stops and central in Osaka.
Thanks for your insight!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia

The Sheraton has the better/more convenient location and larger rooms, but the Moxy in Osaka gives Elites buffet breakfast as well.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger

The Sheraton has the better/more convenient location and larger rooms, but the Moxy in Osaka gives Elites buffet breakfast as well.
Based on my recent experience at the Moxy Copenhagen, Breakfast was not offered but a $10USD credit and the buffet looked paltry in comparison to a full service buffet imho.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Based on my recent experience at the Moxy Copenhagen, Breakfast was not offered but a $10USD credit and the buffet looked paltry in comparison to a full service buffet imho.
... but that was in Copenhagen and not in Osaka, wasn’t it?
Adam1222 and craigthemif like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

... but that was in Copenhagen and not in Osaka, wasn’t it?
Yes but isn’t the Moxy brand supposed to be standardized across the globe?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:09 am

Yes but isn’t the Moxy brand supposed to be standardized across the globe?
Yes. Nevertheless, the Moxy in Osaka still gives free breakfast to Elite Platinum and above. And the breakfast at the Moxy isn’t much worse than at the Sheraton. One difference is that the Sheraton let‘s you keep the Welcome amenity points, and gives you breakfast anyway, while at the Moxy you have to choose.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:32 pm

Yes. Nevertheless, the Moxy in Osaka still gives free breakfast to Elite Platinum and above. And the breakfast at the Moxy isn’t much worse than at the Sheraton. One difference is that the Sheraton let‘s you keep the Welcome amenity points, and gives you breakfast anyway, while at the Moxy you have to choose.
That's good to know should I find myself in Osaka again.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I just completed a 2 night stay here. Was offered 1000 points or gift in addition too breakfast in restaurant. I didn't check what was the gift and took the points instead.

Restaurant breakfast is nice and decent spread. I am a vegetarian so I guess I don't qualify to comment much on food.

Lounge is tiny and generally unattended. There isn't much there except soda in the day. Cocktail hour has lot of liquor including a rose champagne/ sparkling wine. Again can't comment on food.

Hotel location is just great, next to the train station and airport limousine stops here.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I just completed a 2 night stay here. Was offered 1000 points or gift in addition too breakfast in restaurant. I didn't check what was the gift and took the points instead.

Restaurant breakfast is nice and decent spread. I am a vegetarian so I guess I don't qualify to comment much on food.

Lounge is tiny and generally unattended. There isn't much there except soda in the day. Cocktail hour has lot of liquor including a rose champagne/ sparkling wine. Again can't comment on food.

Hotel location is just great, next to the train station and airport limousine stops here.
Agghh. Just lost a long post...
Stayed on a Fri and a Sunday recently. Priced around ¥10,000-¥13,000/couple it is a great deal for people with Bonvoy status, especially with all the Bonvoy point bonuses.

We got a premium upgrade the first time, and a junior suite the second. Rooms had been renovated a couple years ago and were in nice shape. Communication by App pretty efficient. Staff were very nice.

Offered 1,000 points, gift of cookies or restaurant breakfast. Took the points once, and the restaurant breakie the second time (but to tell the truth it was pretty much the same as the lounge breakfast except a sit-down set menu). In normal times they probably have a decent buffet which might be worth it.

The lounge has greatly expanded, now seating 30-40 and overflow capacity across the hall. Plenty of staff working at busy times. Booze is okay, food in small portions but plenty were making a meal of it. Waffles in afternoon.
Plats and above can use the Miyako Health Club (closed on Thursdays) and borrow free workout clothes and shoes. The pool is great, and sauna/bath nice. There is also a 24hr fitness room on B1.

The only issue, which others have mentioned, is the rooms can be warm. The first stay was fine, though we did turn on the AC. The second stay was after the hotel shifted from AC to heat on October 26, and by 12 noon the sun had warmed our room to 27C even with the heat off. We had the mini-window open, but that did little. I imagine rooms on the north side of the building may not be so warm.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
As others have already said club lounge on 18th floor is quite small and somewhat depressing.
9 tables total.
Same size almost as a suite room or some people's living rooms.

Im sure they have more than enough space elsewhere in the hotel where they could make a much bigger lounge.
The hotel building itself is absolutely enormous.
I think this is a case of them having the bare minimum of something called a "lounge" to satisfy the franchise/brand rules, but doing it the cheapest way possible. Hence why prices at this hotel are low for a reason. Good hotel for cheap nights or mattress runs, but very subpar if you like modern rooms and a decent lounge.
In April 2021 they moved the lounge to the 20th floor and it is much bigger.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Nov 2, 2021 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Mariott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Just finished a 2 night stay here. Lounge is indeed on 20th floor and much bigger. Evening cocktail offering isn't bad and had enough for a light meal if you're not looking to go out. Breakfast is solid too but restaurant on the 21st floor will have slightly more options if you elect for it in lieu of 1000 points. Afternoon tea came had pancakes and toppings that were nice. All in all, great value considering I paid a ~$100USD/night rate.

I don't really get the club lounge admittance policy though. I probably went in 5 times over the course of my stay, but was never asked to show any proof of lounge access before entering. Are they running an honor system or do all guests get lounge access now?
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.