Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
We’re at the KG right now and received a very nice upgrade. Dinner and drinks overlooking Syntagma Square and the Acropolis were quite good last night.

I’ll keep an eye on FT in the next couple days and respond to any queries.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Since there is lots of talk about the itineraries, here is what we did 3 years ago as well as what we are doing this year: (sadly the origin and departure point for most US based travelers has to be Athens due to the limited flights to the islands without 2 stops)

2015 - 2 nights Athens GB, flight to Santorini with 3 nights at Mystique, high speed ferry to Crete and 5 nights at Blue Palace, flight back to Athens and one night at the HIX near airport due to early return flight
2018- 1 night in Athens at the Fresh Hotel, flight to Mykonos with 3 nights at the Santa Marina, high speed ferry to Crete and 5 nights at the Domes of Elounda, flight back to Athens and one night at the Sofitel ATH Airport

We like to relax and just chill in the sun on the beach so the 5 nights in Crete works well for us. One thing to keep in mind is that the transfer to either the Blue Palace or the Domes takes about an hour each way so I would not just do a night or two at either hotel since IMHO it would be too stressful while on a vacation I was taking to relax. As for Athens...I personally think 2 nights is plenty and I would much rather spend time on the islands.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Since there is lots of talk about the itineraries, here is what we did 3 years ago as well as what we are doing this year: (sadly the origin and departure point for most US based travelers has to be Athens due to the limited flights to the islands without 2 stops)

2015 - 2 nights Athens GB, flight to Santorini with 3 nights at Mystique, high speed ferry to Crete and 5 nights at Blue Palace, flight back to Athens and one night at the HIX near airport due to early return flight
2018- 1 night in Athens at the Fresh Hotel, flight to Mykonos with 3 nights at the Santa Marina, high speed ferry to Crete and 5 nights at the Domes of Elounda, flight back to Athens and one night at the Sofitel ATH Airport

We like to relax and just chill in the sun on the beach so the 5 nights in Crete works well for us. One thing to keep in mind is that the transfer to either the Blue Palace or the Domes takes about an hour each way so I would not just do a night or two at either hotel since IMHO it would be too stressful while on a vacation I was taking to relax. As for Athens...I personally think 2 nights is plenty and I would much rather spend time on the islands.

Which did you like better? Blue Palace or Domes?
Old May 29, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We just returned( within the last week) from 5 nights in Santorini ( Vedema), 5 in Crete ( Blue Palace) and 5 in Athens ( King George). Really enjoyed all 3 for different reasons. We rented a car on Santorini and Crete. In Crete I would suggest it's not much more expensive than 2 transfers and certainly opened up a lot of other options. I agree that Santorini is once in a lifetime, as although we loved it we are unlikely to return. Crete was the real dark horse. We expected to spend our time by the pool relaxing but after a couple of hours each day ( it was hot) we hopped in the car and saw lots of wonderful places in the area. Spinalonga, the island fort and former leper colony, is directly opposite the Blue Palace. We took the boat from Plaka , a short walk or drive away, and it was 10 Euros each. It was 135 Euros/ hour for the resort's exclusive boat and apparently 35 Euros from Elounda/ Agios Nikolaus The Dive shop at Blue Palace was great too. Very casual but extremely professional. Recommend the small village of Kritsa too ( if you end up with a car wherever you stay).
Old May 29, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Fizzer
We just returned( within the last week) from 5 nights in Santorini ( Vedema), 5 in Crete ( Blue Palace) and 5 in Athens ( King George). Really enjoyed all 3 for different reasons. We rented a car on Santorini and Crete. In Crete I would suggest it's not much more expensive than 2 transfers and certainly opened up a lot of other options. I agree that Santorini is once in a lifetime, as although we loved it we are unlikely to return. Crete was the real dark horse. We expected to spend our time by the pool relaxing but after a couple of hours each day ( it was hot) we hopped in the car and saw lots of wonderful places in the area. Spinalonga, the island fort and former leper colony, is directly opposite the Blue Palace. We took the boat from Plaka , a short walk or drive away, and it was 10 Euros each. It was 135 Euros/ hour for the resort's exclusive boat and apparently 35 Euros from Elounda/ Agios Nikolaus The Dive shop at Blue Palace was great too. Very casual but extremely professional. Recommend the small village of Kritsa too ( if you end up with a car wherever you stay).
Which company did you rent the cars from?
Old May 29, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by zagguru
Which did you like better? Blue Palace or Domes?
I will be able to tell you in approx. 2 weeks when I take the 2018 trip and stay at the Domes.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:38 pm

Duplicate post
Old May 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

Which company did you rent the cars from?
Hertz through Aegean Airlines, as it was cheaper than from Hertz here. All standard BTW . If you want auto you might have to request it.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:59 pm

https://www.hoppa.com/en/search-results

Has anyone tried this shared shuttle for transfers from the airport to BP/Domes?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:54 am

I will be able to tell you in approx. 2 weeks when I take the 2018 trip and stay at the Domes.

Dont forget to let us know and write a good trip report!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by damon88
FWIW we actually have a similar plan to zagguru-- it is also our first trip to Greece

3 nights Grand Bretagne
3 nights Mystique
1 night Grand Bretagne
5 nights Blue Palace

In a perfect world we would have 5 nights in Santorini but we decided to spend a few days in Paris on our way to Greece

Our favorite number of nights per stay is 5. Our usual minimum is 3. Any shorter than that feels rushed to us, although on our recent trip we only had 2 nights at Scholss Fuchl and 2 nights at President Wilson and they were both awesome visits.

BTW Thanks @david55 for the Blue Guide suggestion!
Have you taken this trip yet?

Also, does anyone know if a heated pool is needed for the last 2 weeks of Aug in Crete and Santorini?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:24 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Also, does anyone know if a heated pool is needed for the last 2 weeks of Aug in Crete and Santorini?
We aren’t going until October

We always travel off season- it becomes more difficult every year to avoid the crowds.

I don’t know about August but a heated pool was important to us in October.

Looking forward to your trip report
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

A lot depends on the location of your room/pool. Most of the rooms face East and the rooms lose most of the sun late morning. We stayed in May ( Blue Place) and our pool was too cold to swim. And our veranda which faced East was in the shade almost all day.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:00 am

Dont forget to let us know and write a good trip report!
I won’t! We are on Mykonos at the Santa Maria now after spending a night at the Fresh Design Hotel in Athens. Heading to Crete later this week.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:35 am

I won’t! We are on Mykonos at the Santa Maria now after spending a night at the Fresh Design Hotel in Athens. Heading to Crete later this week.

Cant wait!

Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.