Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in GREECE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 8:35 am

I booked Domes of Elounda and Blue Palace. I am very undecided between the two and have spent hours reading reviews on each on the forums. If anyone has stayed at both and can recommend either, it would be very helpful
Old May 28, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota

DK Eyewitness Travel Guides are my favorites
Originally Posted by david55
Blue Guide for history and archaeology.
Rick Steve's for good practical info on Athens. ( and somewhat the Peloponnese)
Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for off beat.
Originally Posted by Travelosopher

I like Rick Steve’s guides as well. He gives good advice regarding sightseeing, walking tours of city neighborhoods, local restaurants, and transportation tips. I do NOT generally use his lodging recs as I’m often staying at higher end properties and his are more budget accommodations.
Completely agree. Hotels he recommends ( and to some extent the restaurants) have become over run with his followers.

​​​​​​​Just bought 3 of the books you guys recommended. Thanks!
Im looking for more of a tour guide book on places to go and things to see (i.e. beaches, activities etc) rather than a historical a book
Old May 28, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by zagguru
I booked Domes of Elounda and Blue Palace. I am very undecided between the two and have spent hours reading reviews on each on the forums. If anyone has stayed at both and can recommend either, it would be very helpful
I haven't stayed at the Domes but just spent 5 days at the Blue Place 2 weeks ago.. Got a great upgrade as a Plat to a Sea View Junior Suite. Staff all very friendly. Beautiful resort Nearer to the little fishing village of Plaka with lots of seafood restaurants if you want to eat off resort at all. 5 minute walk from the Blue Palace 10-15 from the Domes would be my estimate.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
We stayed at the Blue Palace 3 years ago and my take on the resort can be found in the hotels master thread. Will be at the Domes for 5 nights in 2 weeks. Can report back on comparison after our trip. One thing to keep in mind is that the Domes is cheaper if you are redeeming points and the award gets you a full suite vs the Blue Palace,
Old May 28, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by christianj

We stayed at the Blue Palace 3 years ago and my take on the resort can be found in the hotels master thread. Will be at the Domes for 5 nights in 2 weeks. Can report back on comparison after our trip. One thing to keep in mind is that the Domes is cheaper if you are redeeming points and the award gets you a full suite vs the Blue Palace,

Yes a report in a couple of weeks would be great!
Old May 28, 2018, 1:24 pm

Here is my current plan.

Tuesday - Athens
Wed-Friday - Crete (Domes or Blue Palace)
Friday-Monday - Santorini

Does anyone think thats too little time on each, or should i cut out one of the places. Also, would these islands be the top two islands you would pick for first time travelers to greek? Looking for relaxing with some small daily activities.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Here is my current plan.

Tuesday - Athens
Wed-Friday - Crete (Domes or Blue Palace)
Friday-Monday - Santorini

Does anyone think thats too little time on each, or should i cut out one of the places. Also, would these islands be the top two islands you would pick for first time travelers to greek? Looking for relaxing with some small daily activities.
I'd definitely cut out one location, and I'm someone always being told to cut things out from my itinerary. Travelling around Europe domestic is not easy going like doing shorthaul shuttle flights in the US mid-west. Santorini and Crete are very different as far as islands go - Santorini would almost universally be regarded as much better (and has a much higher end tourism industry), but both islands have their appeal.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:58 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
FWIW we actually have a similar plan to zagguru-- it is also our first trip to Greece

3 nights Grand Bretagne
3 nights Mystique
1 night Grand Bretagne
5 nights Blue Palace

In a perfect world we would have 5 nights in Santorini but we decided to spend a few days in Paris on our way to Greece

Our favorite number of nights per stay is 5. Our usual minimum is 3. Any shorter than that feels rushed to us, although on our recent trip we only had 2 nights at Scholss Fuchl and 2 nights at President Wilson and they were both awesome visits.

BTW Thanks @david55 for the Blue Guide suggestion!
Old May 28, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'd definitely cut out one location, and I'm someone always being told to cut things out from my itinerary. Travelling around Europe domestic is not easy going like doing shorthaul shuttle flights in the US mid-west. Santorini and Crete are very different as far as islands go - Santorini would almost universally be regarded as much better (and has a much higher end tourism industry), but both islands have their appeal.

I figured since we are landing into Athens anyways, why not spend the night there. And from Crete, we are taking the speedboat to Santorini, so i didnt think it would be too terrible.

My other concern is, am I picking the wrong place by going to crete? Should i have chosen a different island like mykonos?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
FWIW we actually have a similar plan to zagguru-- it is also our first trip to Greece

3 nights Grand Bretagne
3 nights Mystique
1 night Grand Bretagne
5 nights Blue Palace

In a perfect world we would have 5 nights in Santorini but we decided to spend a few days in Paris on our way to Greece

Our favorite number of nights per stay is 5. Our usual minimum is 3. Any shorter than that feels rushed to us, although on our recent trip we only had 2 nights at Scholss Fuchl and 2 nights at President Wilson and they were both awesome visits.

BTW Thanks @david55 for the Blue Guide suggestion!

Are you doing Mystique and Blue Palace on points? May I ask why you chose Blue Palace over domes?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not sure whether you do FB or not but there is an EXCELLENT FB page on Greece from a guy named Matt Barrett. There are many threads about itineraries and time at each place. The general consensus is that Crete is a destination in itself that commands as much time as you can give it. ( I can attest to that I lived there for three years) Santorini is amazing visually and 3 days is good...but be prepared for crazy tourists and huge crowds. ( Think cruise lines disgorging passengers every hour of the day). That said I tell people that Santorini is a once in a life time experience. Go see it...but you probably will not go back. Zagguru....Whether you decide to do Santorini this trip or not, I would skip Crete for 3 days....the Blue Palace is not that good to make the flight over for 2 or 3 nights. Crete is about history and good food and the countryside and not so much the resort. ( We stayed at the Blue Palace a few years ago....I liked it , my husband did not...we are trying Domes next spring when we return)

Here is Matt's website....it really is the best guide book of all. Matt Barrett's Guides to Greece and the Greek Islands
zagguru likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
My other concern is, am I picking the wrong place by going to crete? Should i have chosen a different island like mykonos?
The comparison of Crete vs. Mykonos is like Utah vs. Las Vegas. Perosnally, I'd say you'd be missing what most of Greece is like if you only go to Santorini and Mykonos, both of which have become merged into the internationally approved small city list - along with Capri, Cinque Terre, St Tropez, Hvar and the like. Crete is really not my favourite Greek island and it's sort of just a giant rock, but the villages around the Domes and Blue Palace are quite charming.

Athens is great - definitely worthwhile spending a night there as you're flying in.
zagguru likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:17 pm

Not sure whether you do FB or not but there is an EXCELLENT FB page on Greece from a guy named Matt Barrett. There are many threads about itineraries and time at each place. The general consensus is that Crete is a destination in itself that commands as much time as you can give it. ( I can attest to that I lived there for three years) Santorini is amazing visually and 3 days is good...but be prepared for crazy tourists and huge crowds. ( Think cruise lines disgorging passengers every hour of the day). That said I tell people that Santorini is a once in a life time experience. Go see it...but you probably will not go back. Zagguru....Whether you decide to do Santorini this trip or not, I would skip Crete for 3 days....the Blue Palace is not that good to make the flight over for 2 or 3 nights. Crete is about history and good food and the countryside and not so much the resort. ( We stayed at the Blue Palace a few years ago....I liked it , my husband did not...we are trying Domes next spring when we return)

Here is Matt's website....it really is the best guide book of all. Matt Barrett's Guides to Greece and the Greek Islands
Thanks for all the tips. Yes we are definitely doing Santorini. We would prob do the Domes of Elounda if we go to Crete too.
In your opinion, if we skip crete, which other island would you suggest we substitute? In all likeliness, we are only going to Greece once, hence why i would like to do 2 islands to get the most out of it.

Last edited by zagguru; May 28, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 8:20 pm

The comparison of Crete vs. Mykonos is like Utah vs. Las Vegas. Perosnally, I'd say you'd be missing what most of Greece is like if you only go to Santorini and Mykonos, both of which have become merged into the internationally approved small city list - along with Capri, Cinque Terre, St Tropez, Hvar and the like. Crete is really not my favourite Greek island and it's sort of just a giant rock, but the villages around the Domes and Blue Palace are quite charming.

Athens is great - definitely worthwhile spending a night there as you're flying in.

Yup! thats why we decided 1 night in athens

But yea im really starting to second guess Crete
Old May 28, 2018, 9:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Although others might disagree I always like Athens and spend at least 3 nights when we come to Greece. But then I majored in Classical Archaeology in college so it is in my blood. Another thought is to go to Nafplio ( car or bus) about 90 minutes out of Athens on the Peloponnese coastline. Considered one of the most picturesque small cities in Greece..... it is charming, very Greek , and has great food. If that doesn't appeal to you I might think of the island of Hydra. No cars and very charming.easy to get to in a few hours from Piraeus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.