FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/606824-st-regis-san-francisco-master-thread.html)

Sam P. Goodman May 31, 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 11831171)
Perks: As noted above. We did receive something special in our suite when we returned this evening.

Why so secretive? Care to share what something special means? A plate of chocolates? A duffel bag full of starpoints? A coupon good for dinner with William?;)

RTWSTARALLIANCE May 31, 2009 7:16 pm

Sorry nothing so interesting or lucrative (aka points). It was our 10th wedding anniversary and the hotel made us a mini wedding cake. It along with a bottle of champagne was in the suite when we returned. Nice touches.

Dim sim was not bad. A place on Commercial Street I believe down from Chinatown. Maybe someone knows the name. Good variety and reasonable price. Not the cheapest but the place was supper clean.

peteropny May 31, 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 11834830)
Dim sim was not bad. A place on Commercial Street I believe down from Chinatown. Maybe someone knows the name. Good variety and reasonable price. Not the cheapest but the place was supper clean.

City View Restaurant?

parsetdx Jun 2, 2009 12:21 pm

Hey all -

Thanks for the informative and detailed reviews. I especially liked seeing some of the great pics that were taken.

I'm looking at using 2 free weekend nights from the current promotion at this property for a Friday and Saturday night stay in August. I have one simple question (and I think I already know the answer):

Is there any reason why I would choose any other downtown SF hotel besides the St. Regis for my trip? I generally try to maximize my points and freebies and it seems like taking the CAT 6 St. Regis is a no-brainer, but I thought it was worth asking just in case.

My girlfriend and I will be in Napa for the week and then we're heading down to SF for the weekend before we fly home to enjoy the city a bit and take in a Giants game. We're young professional types looking for good location to dining and nightlife (and the subway - which I believe was already mentioned as right by the hotel).

Thanks in advance!
Josh

peteropny Jun 2, 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by parsetdx (Post 11844364)
Is there any reason why I would choose any other downtown SF hotel besides the St. Regis for my trip? I generally try to maximize my points and freebies and it seems like taking the CAT 6 St. Regis is a no-brainer, but I thought it was worth asking just in case.

My girlfriend and I will be in Napa for the week and then we're heading down to SF for the weekend before we fly home to enjoy the city a bit and take in a Giants game. We're young professional types looking for good location to dining and nightlife (and the subway - which I believe was already mentioned as right by the hotel).

Well the St Regis is understated elegant.

Since you both are young professional types - not sure if you're into the hip / trendy bar scene - but that would be more at the W - but that is only about a 1/2 block away from St Regis so not really a good reason to use your nights there instead.

While I wouldn't say that the St Regis is an especially good location for dining & nightlife, its really not that far to the the Union Square area (maybe 4-5 blocks - very walkable) - San Francisco City proper is pretty compact anyways - so excluding the airport properties & the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf - all "downtown" properties are really within 7 blocks or so of each other (that's going from Westin St Francis to Le Meridien - most of the other ones are actually within 3 blocks of each other).

ps9a Jun 2, 2009 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by parsetdx (Post 11844364)
Is there any reason why I would choose any other downtown SF hotel besides the St. Regis for my trip?

If you're talking about SF Starwood properties, then the St. Regis is definitely a no-brainer... you're not going to find any Starwood remotely close to it's luxury or service anywhere else in the Bay Area. If you're looking outside Starwood, the Four Seasons is great, though in a slightly worse location, and a lot less trendy IMO. Go Phils!

caymancanuck Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Underwhelmed to say the least

I did a two night stay June 8-9 for my birthday. I was really looking forward to this after a memorable experience at the ST. Regis NYC for my birthday last year.

I arrived at the St. Regis SF after spending time at the St. Regis in Singapore the week before so my expectations were high. I had informed the hotel and my Starwood Ambassador that it was my birthday during my stay and I received zero recognition.

At check-in there was no recognition of my platinum status outside of the key holder and no upgrade was offered.

The hotel itself is nothing special and the service was lacking. Room service was very slow and the breakfast was inconsistent from one day to the next.

I will not be rushing back.

bpauker Jun 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by caymancanuck (Post 11918284)
At check-in there was no recognition of my platinum status outside of the key holder and no upgrade was offered.

What kind of room did you book/get? I was there from June 5-7 and received a corner room on the 12th floor overlooking Yerba Buena gardens. I had booked just the day before with free night certs. I didn't get any recognition of plat status either, but it's my understanding that this hotel doesn't particiapte fully in that (no amenity for example). Not sure if that's true. I had a great time there, but I didn't eat anything at the hotel so can't comment - nor was it my birthday.

AlxStevens Jun 23, 2009 1:06 am

Terrific Stay

Just spent one night at the hotel finishing off a weekend in wine country with my wife, using the free night promo.

We were told at the desk that we had been upgraded to an Executive King, which was a very nice room that seemed nicer and larger than what an average room would be.

I especially enjoyed the smart room control device on the bedside that controlled the lights, drapes and temperature as well as serving as the clock and phone.

Disappointed that the flat screen TV didn't have any actual HD channels and that the VOD movies were not HD either.

Ordered room service dinner, very good burger, very not-so-good chicken soup. Though it was interesting that they told me as they repeated my order that "It is currently 7:25, you WILL have your food by 7:55" - and sure enough we did. Also found room service breakfast to be quick and tasty.

One interesting note: I needed a rental car for a day and called the concierge to see what the closest Hertz location was. She offered to book and have the car delivered, and even counting the $10 delivery fee the rate was $50 less than what Hertz was showing me on their website at the same time, and obviously more convenient. At that rate, it's almost cheaper to rent a different car every day than to pay the $50+14% overnight valet rate!

Looking forward to a longer stay, maybe even before then end of the free weekends promo.

BlissWorld Jun 23, 2009 8:26 am

Originally Posted by bpauker (Post 11918642)
... it's my understanding that this hotel doesn't particiapte fully in that (no amenity for example). Not sure if that's true....

It's not true. They are required to give you a welcome amenity. At this property, it usually includes a tray of food with water at turn down.

peteropny Jun 23, 2009 8:46 am

It seems from the recent posts that Platinums no longer get Suite Upgrades at this property?

TravelFreak131 Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 11954663)
It seems from the recent posts that Platinums no longer get Suite Upgrades at this property?

Not true...if you read a few pages back, I posted a complete trip report as well as several pictures of the suite upgrade to the Metropolitan Suite during my stay. Now, given my PC typically e-mails the hotel asking for things for me, but I've always received some sort of upgrade here. Once again I will say...FABULOUS HOTEL, FABULOUS STAFF!!!!

Nachoman Jul 5, 2009 9:49 pm

Anyone know if the St Regis has a private car service? We're going to be spending most of our in dowtown SF, so just taking the Bart around. However we're also heading to Berkely for a wedding, and would like to have a car drop us off and pick us up. Is this something the hotel can organize or provide for us?

chanp Jul 5, 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 12017796)
Anyone know if the St Regis has a private car service? We're going to be spending most of our in dowtown SF, so just taking the Bart around. However we're also heading to Berkely for a wedding, and would like to have a car drop us off and pick us up. Is this something the hotel can organize or provide for us?

I stayed at the Westin Market St and the Palace this weekend, so passed by it a few times. I didnt see their Bentley outside anymore or any sort of car. Id call them to make sure.

ps9a Jul 5, 2009 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 12017796)

If you're spending most of your time in downtown SF, BART, while only a block and a half away, will be of little use to you. The St. Regis does currently have 1 car (it's an Acura now), but it's not going to take you to Berkeley. I'd rent a car or hire a limo, which I'm sure the hotel can do for you, but I'm guessing you'll find a better deal getting the limo on your own.