Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I don’t think anyone can tell you if it is worth it or not for you. Just personal opinions are all you’ll get and my guess is they will be pretty lopsided.

I get wanting to experience two pretty amazing hotels. And also to do so when the rates are reasonable.

That said, I’d not do this. First I would pick one or the other. Second I would pick the Gritti.

Without regard to which you pick you would lose so much time changing hotels. Two hours is my guess. I’d rather have that two hours to experience Venice vs a hotel no matter how nice it is.
bhrubin and margarita girl like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:30 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
For years we have preferred the Danieli, where we have stayed 5 times since 2003. Our very first visit there was magical. Although I was only Gold on a reward stay they still upgraded us to a beautiful lagoon view suite where we were able to watch fireworks off our balcony ( it was the anniversary of the Arsenale) In 2007 we spent 2 weeks in Venice for our anniversary, 7 nights at Gritti and 7 nights at the Danieli. We loved the Gritti Palace but the Danieli blew us away by upgrading us to their Royal Suite which at the time sold for over 6000 euros a night- our best upgrade ever. It was a large apartment with a huge living room with parquet floors, a gorgeous Murano chandelier, a working fireplace and a large outdoor balcony with sweeping lagoon views. The hotel went out of their way on that visit to make our time there special, securing us excellent seats at the Opera, and gifting us champagne and fruit almost daily.

In October 2017 we were excited to return to the Danieli to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and looked forward to the trip with great anticipation.

But for the first time ever we were disappointed. The hotel did upgrade us to a lagoon view suite, but the room was old and tired. And although on prior visits, scheduling our trip for the end of October meant that the city was less crowded and more relaxed, this time the area near the Danieli was hectic and packed with tourists and had much less charm. Worst of all though was the change in the staff. Everyone seemed tired and unhappy, even depressed. It felt like a completely different hotel. On two occasions we had drinks at two other Starwood properties- Gritti Palace and Palazzina G- and we vowed to stay at one of those properties on our next visit.

After such wonderful past stays we are sad to say that we can no longer recommend the Danieli.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thank you all for the comments. Looks like the Gritti Palace wins hands down!
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Any chance for a platinum upgrade to a canal view suite in November?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Hmmm, on a given Sat night in November, the Danieli is selling a standard room (Premium Deluxe) for EUR 285 and the Gritti is selling a 280-431sf "Venetian 70" room for EUE 659. I presume the Venetian 70 is at least one category up from the Gritti's standard rooms, but the cost differential here seems to say a lot and I am surprised that they are both Category 7 hotels?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Hey peeps, I'm just about to plunk down 180K points for a 3-day Venice stay. Given it's the same number of points for the Danieli or the Gritti Palace, which would you go with now? I have Suite Night upgrades that I can apply to the stay. Ease of transportation to the airport is somewhat of an issue since we have an 11:30 am departure and I have bike (in a case).....

thanks for any up-to-date advice....
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Hey peeps, I'm just about to plunk down 180K points for a 3-day Venice stay. Given it's the same number of points for the Danieli or the Gritti Palace, which would you go with now? I have Suite Night upgrades that I can apply to the stay. Ease of transportation to the airport is somewhat of an issue since we have an 11:30 am departure and I have bike (in a case).....

You may want to search the Gritti Palace thread to learn more. There is a lot of comparison as well as the transportation options to/from VCE.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato

Personally I will go for The Gritti Palace.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Gritti....value is often double than Danieli on a paid night. Just a magic place! Alilaguna boat transfer to the airport is just next door from the entry of the hotel. I'm sure the bell boy can give you a hand! Just an amazing place!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Gritti....value is often double than Danieli on a paid night. Just a magic place! Alilaguna boat transfer to the airport is just next door from the entry of the hotel. I'm sure the bell boy can give you a hand! Just an amazing place!
Just curious about Alilaguna and the transfer to the Gritti. We are staying here in June and last time we went to Venice 2 years ago (Europa) we took Alilaguna and it took at least 1 1/2 hours to reach the hotel. Is it the same circuitous route to the Gritti with lots of stops or is it a direct service? We definitely won't do that long trip again, so we're looking to see if we should just take a water taxi or there's a faster Alilaguna.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
The ride should take you around 50 minutes....there are few stops....but beside a private transfer...and around 100 euros boat taxi fee....Alilaguna is the second best choice!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Marriott Bonvoy in Venice (Cat 8)

I have two nights booked in Gritti Palace for NYE, I couldn't find flights on the 2nd so I am adding an extra night in Venice, however when I went to look I saw there is 4 Cat 8's in the city (is that a record?)

So I am debating firstly if I am to use points which one out of St Regis, Danieli, Plazzina or do another night in Gritti Palace would anyone consider the best?

If I am to pay cash, the rates for the night I am looking at are Plazzina - 330 Euros, Danielli - 350 Euros, St Regis- 459 Euros and Gritti Palace is 699 Euros.

If anyone could help advise having experienced the properties or Venice it would be much appreciative.

(I will be with my wife and 2 year old son and before you state I know Gritti Palace isnt family friendly however at 60k Points per night it was hard to say no!).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@AbuCordoba the Gritti is one of the best in the world, let alone in Venice. It’s a lot more intimate and a lot less frenetic than the much larger and much more touristy area of the Danieli. The new StR will be wonderful in due time, but it still has to prove itself and get itself up to proper form as a newly reopened hotel with a new and improved brand. For the foreseeable future, I doubt anything will challenge the Gritti.

FWIW, we like the Gritti even more than the vaunted Aman Venice...and we are Amanjunkies.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
I have two nights booked in Gritti Palace for NYE, I couldn't find flights on the 2nd so I am adding an extra night in Venice, however when I went to look I saw there is 4 Cat 8's in the city (is that a record?)

So I am debating firstly if I am to use points which one out of St Regis, Danieli, Plazzina or do another night in Gritti Palace would anyone consider the best?

If I am to pay cash, the rates for the night I am looking at are Plazzina - 330 Euros, Danielli - 350 Euros, St Regis- 459 Euros and Gritti Palace is 699 Euros.

If anyone could help advise having experienced the properties or Venice it would be much appreciative.

(I will be with my wife and 2 year old son and before you state I know Gritti Palace isnt family friendly however at 60k Points per night it was hard to say no!).
We were singularly unimpressed with our recent stay at the Danieli (see master thread for review), and regret that we were unable to use our points at the highly-regarded Gritti Palace. While late December should not be as crowded as June, I would still prefer the Gritti location which is quite central but not overflowing with throngs of people. For 60k points it's an easy choice.

I regret that we did not give serious consideration to the relatively new JW. The pool would have been a huge plus in the summer and the rooms look way nicer than the ones we received at the Danieli. I think proximity to St. Marks is overrated, particularly for longer stays. YMMV.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
We land late in Venice before a cruise the next day. Booked the Airport Courtyard and have a vague memory that when I booked the room it was a Package that included transfer to the cruise port. Now I see no record of that benefit in my record and don't see a port transfer listed in any of the packages available.
Anyone use this Courtyard in the past and receive this benefit ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.