FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/597060-le-meridien-angkor-cambodia-closed-renovations.html)

cko64 Jul 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8125109)
There is supposed to be a huge floating city which can be reached by boat. Did not make it there.

You mean the fishing villages at Tonle Sap Lake? We had a boat tour to the lake, it was ok.

BTW, we loved the Le meridien Angkor, so much better than LM Phuket or BKK. The staff were wonderful. We would go back in a heart beat.

todd-r Aug 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by acnev (Post 7044747)
Due to a mixup we were told breakfast was included (this was due to the hotel thinking that one of the rooms was paid v/s points). Found out at checkout that since we were on points that we were not entitled to a free breakfast.

Does anyone know if breakfast is included if staying on cash+points?

yyliu88 Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r (Post 8283427)
Does anyone know if breakfast is included if staying on cash+points?

no, but u will get 50% coupon for breakfast as PLAT

RTWSTARALLIANCE Aug 23, 2007 4:32 pm

IIRC the whole breakfast spead was something like $15 US. It was not much. Have you considered a package and keep your points. It was a good deal in my opinion.

mario33 Nov 27, 2007 11:57 pm

1) I noticed (from pictures) that the hotel building is only 3 storey.

Are all the rooms located on 1st & 2nd floor (i.e. 2nd & 3rd floor "to" americans), or is there a risk I might end up on a ground floor room ?
I dont particularly like ground level rooms unless its pool access ;)

2) I have read conflicting reports regarding the hotel spa. Did anyone try it lately and how does it compare with spas in Thailand ?

3) Anything else to do within the "resort" apart from the spa ? I dont intend to spend the entire day at the ruins (this is not my first trip to Siem Reap)

Thanks.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Nov 28, 2007 7:13 am

The pool is not directly outside the first floor. You know what I mean. There are enough rooms that I feel confident if you did not want to be on 1 you would not have to be. I don't know about americans being the only ones on 2 and 3.

That is kinda a loaded question. How about this. The Hotel's Spa offers spa services.

Nothing else to do. A little shopping of course.

anamaniac Nov 28, 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8801915)
I don't know about americans being the only ones on 2 and 3.

I believe what he meant was that what normally is the 2nd and 3rd floors for americans is normally 1st and 2nd floor in other countries. ie. Its Ground, 1st, 2nd, and so on...

SEA2BA Nov 28, 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by anamaniac (Post 8802382)
I believe what he meant was that what normally is the 2nd and 3rd floors for americans is normally 1st and 2nd floor in other countries. ie. Its Ground, 1st, 2nd, and so on...

I just got back on Saturday from a stay here. My room was on the 2nd floor but I ddi walk all the way around on the ground floor and I'm fairly certain (but not 100 percent) that pretty much everything I saw on the ground floor was conference rooms, dining rooms, restaurant, spa, etc. -- not any sleeping rooms. But I'm sure if you put in your reservation a note to choose a higher floor they would honor it.

Regarding the spa, I did not use it but did peruse the menu. As you can imagine they offer all the usual things but at 10x the price of the street places.

Any other specific questions just ask.

SEA2BA

CO FF Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm

I just sent my inlaws there for 3 nights on an award. All their other stops in a 15 day trip were mid-range or rustic in nature, so they considered this hotel in a local perspective rather than a "first world" one.

They reported excellent facilities & service. No issues with water, bugs, service, etc. So, apparently most of the "bugs" have been worked out...

They also said that they didn't quite understand what the desk clerk meant when they checked in, and were asked what platinum amenity they wanted. ;) Fortunately, when she explained it to them, they took the points for me!

ajnaro Nov 29, 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8284117)
IIRC the whole breakfast spead was something like $15 US. It was not much. ...

I was just at this hotel in October. The breakfast is now spectacular, with a very full range of choices from American to Japanese to local. I found the hotel to be outstanding in every way -- no issues at all.

mario33 Dec 25, 2007 4:09 am

Originally Posted by SEA2BA (Post 8802635)
Regarding the spa, I did not use it but did peruse the menu. As you can imagine they offer all the usual things but at 10x the price of the street places.

I was given a little red-card which entitles me to 50% off for 1hr foot or body massage. Not sure whether every guest received this little red-card but I saw another guest using it. The facilities (and treatment) were a bit disappointing, with treatment rooms so small they need to position the massage bed at an angle in the rooms. I would actually hestitate to refer to this facility as a "spa"; probably a gym with adjoining massage rooms would be more appropriate :(

mario33 Dec 25, 2007 4:25 am

Originally Posted by SEA2BA (Post 8802635)
I just got back on Saturday from a stay here. My room was on the 2nd floor but I ddi walk all the way around on the ground floor and I'm fairly certain (but not 100 percent) that pretty much everything I saw on the ground floor was conference rooms, dining rooms, restaurant, spa, etc. -- not any sleeping rooms. But I'm sure if you put in your reservation a note to choose a higher floor they would honor it.

You are correct, there were no guest room on the 1st floor (ground floor to non-americans).

While we did receive a corner suite upgrade on the 2nd floor, the suite (and I assume most rooms on this floor) was very dark due to the windows not being full-height and also due to the overhanging roof eaves above the windows. Its also a shame for a property that projects itself as a "resort", that none of the rooms or suites have a balcony.

The corner suite main bathroom was a long walk from the sleeping area with an L-shaped corridor leading to the bathroom. The decor, however, was simple but elegant in modern asian style (with artworks/sculptures reflecting the local heritage)

Another minor irritant in the suite was the use of very heavy bedspread on the beds. We had to seek housekeeping's assistance each time we need to remove the cover. From the website though it appears that the superior/deluxe rooms doesnt have this "feature". The beds were however quite comfortable (not too hard) for a Le Meridien property.

Service was also quite good, infact I found it much better than properties in Thailand of similar rating. Every little request was promptly delivered with a smile, and the staff dont hang around your room waiting for you to tip them .....

BiziBB Jan 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Bump for an upcoming visit to REP.

As an infrequent SPG guest I'm not sure about whether I can qualify to get the 'Stay 4, free night' offer, but would be interested in strategies, beginning with a stay in Siem Rep, then KL, then Colombo.

The notes about alternative accommodations in Siem Reap are also appreciated!

BiziBB Jan 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Seeing as this thread has no response, I'm be more specific.

The USD$155/nt for 2 nights offer, plus 1 free night sounds great!

TA notes this is the closest hotel to Angkor Wat? Is this correct?

Please add any advice or tips from recent experience - I'm following this in the Asia forum for Angkor Wat but please add any notes about hotels here!

We're looking forward to our stays in Siem Rep and KL!

mario33 Jan 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB (Post 9070355)
TA notes this is the closest hotel to Angkor Wat? Is this correct?

I would say its the last hotel before the ticket gates to Angkor Park. Angkor Wat is a few miles from the gates.

Not much saving of time if you have a car and driver; along the same stretch Victoria will probably take an additional 4-5min, the Raffles and Amansara an additional 3-4min, while the Sofitel and Tara an additional 2-3min.