FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/597060-le-meridien-angkor-cambodia-closed-renovations.html)

SEAUAKID Sep 1, 2006 10:44 pm

Was at Angkor about a month ago. Stayed at an independent, english-speaking boutique hotel called the "Golden Banana" and it was quite lovely. The rooms were very clean and modern, the staff very helpful, and the all-day drivers they arrange were just $13/day. Highly recommend staying there.

NYEsq Sep 2, 2006 3:27 pm

Stayed at Hotel de la Paix about a week ago - had a "Buy 2 get 1 free night" deal, so it was pretty cheap. Had some language issues with the hotel, but enjoyed the same ginger welcome drink as the OP did at the Meridian. Was somewhat forced on us though... interesting idea of service.

Elena Sep 4, 2006 2:34 pm

Here is a another thread with many trip reports on this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514266&highlight=angkor

acnev Jan 18, 2007 3:26 pm

Stayed here using SPG points for 4 nights early in January. Got 2 rooms since there were a total of 4 of us. Did not get an upgrade even though PLT but was very happy to get connecting rooms.

Rooms were very nice especially when compared to the Le Meridien in BKK. The amenities were similar to those described above. No plt gift was offered even though I got one at the Le Meridien in BKK and in SIN on the same trip. Due to a mixup we were told breakfast was included (this was due to the hotel thinking that one of the rooms was paid v/s points). Found out at checkout that since we were on points that we were not entitled to a free breakfast.

Breakfast was a very large spread in the restaurant. Only issue is if you get there after the Japanese tour groups - in which case the place gets very crowded.

The hotel is about 1-2 kms out of town and one can get a tuk-tuk to go into town for $2. This makes it just a little inconvienent especially since the tuk-tuk drivers want to extract as much money out of you as they can. Siem Reap was a surprisingly neat town - fairly clean with lots of places to eat and lots of massage parlours (1 hr foot or body massages cost $6).

The pool was slightly disappointing when compared to the pools at the BKK hotels especially for the kids. It seems like they could have done more with the foliage/lighting.

Overall - a very nice hotel especially as a Cat 2

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 12, 2007 12:05 pm

?s please

Off to REP in a couple weeks. How are Plats being treated? Are there still bugs "living" in the rooms with us? Does one need to wear long pants at the Temples? Has anyone been to the military museum or silk factory? Under reservations is says- lounge access. Do they have a Lounge? Any other information much appreciated. I have two rooms both booked as packages. One for tour of Angkor and the other Khmer Culture. Both seem to be ok deals. FYI. Thanks for all the info.

3Cforme Jul 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8045894)
1. How are Plats being treated?
2. Are there still bugs "living" in the rooms with us?
3. Does one need to wear long pants at the Temples?
4. Has anyone been to the military museum or silk factory?
5. Do they have a Lounge?

1. In February on a consecutive 1 night paid + 2 award-night stay, I was upgraded to a corner suite with bedding as requested.
2.??
3. No. Save them for the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh, however.
4. Not me.
5. Yes, there is a lounge, but hours were quite restricted. Clearly they prefer guests spending money in the restaurants.

This was an excellent stay and great points value for me. No hesitation to return.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 26, 2007 5:44 am

Angkor Wat Le Meridien report 7/2007

Mod. Please feel free to consolidate later after I finish post and people have had a chance to comment.

Preface: In BKK for meeting. Thought I would use this as an opportunity to visit Angkor Wat. Associate and her handicap mother joined me. I was a little hesitant taking on this responsibility. Two rooms needed.

Rate: As stated I needed two rooms for this stay. At first I booked straight away rooms then somehow found the packages which turned out to be a real deal in my opinion. Two night minimum. Two people booked per room.

Room one- $179 which included the room (taxes additional), Angkor private tour with car, driver and guide, airport transfers both ways and buffet breakfast for two.

Room two- $159 which included the room (taxes additional), Khmer show with set or off the menu dinner (note the show does not play everyday so check immediately to work this into your schedule), airport transfers both ways and buffet breakfast for two.

Booking these packages kinda lined up our days. What was very nice is that we had the car, driver and guide for a full day. This allowed us to visit the silk farm (so so). You will never think of silk the same. Did some shopping and had lunch at a decent Chinese restaurant.

As we had a handicap person it was necessary to "employ" additional assistance in certain places. Have lots of small US bills.

Transportation: We came in from BKK on Bangkok Airways. The service by this carrier was exceptional. I mean exceptional. I did not think by no means it was cheap but it is the only carrier on this routing. They do have a Lounge at BKK which is open to call flying. I had sent an e-mail prior to our arrival so the Hotel had a van waiting for us. This was included in our package. The driver was holding a placard outside arrivals. Note departure fee of $25 US per adult.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: We were upgraded from a superior room to a deluxe room on two. I e-mailed and asked about a upgrade but that did not happen. Before leaving for BKK I looked online and corner suites (2), Royal Suite was showing available. I guess someone dropped some cash before we arrived. I was not happy with their explanation. We ended up with connecting rooms which worked out ok.

Perks: None that I could see. I found info about "Lounge" access. The Hotel DOES NOT have a Club lounge. They do have a bar which they call a Lounge. I understand it that you can have soft drinks or beverages their comp with P status or certain room types.

Lounge: n/a

Room: We had two interior facing rooms. Both the same with flipped floor plans. You enter onto wood dark floors. To the right is a closet with one robe and slippers. There is a luggage area. Next was the bathroom. Followed by a king bed, wood day type bed with pollows, small windows facing courtyard, desk, old style tv with dvd player (will play N A format) followed by a cabinet with a frig. Each day we were given fresh fruit and two bottles of Nestle water.

Bathroom: Single basin sink with separate shower and tub. Nothing exciting.

Internet: This was bad. The Hotel offers wireless internet. You either buy one hour cards at $6 per or 24 hour internet at a little over $20 per day. I think during our stay I was able to get on three times. This being where it is service is not reliable. In room is not wired and the signals were weak.

Gym: The gym is near the Spa. Outside. Looked nice.

Spa: We had a number of treatments. I thought the treatments in the Relaxation spot versus the Spa were better let alone better priced.

Eating venues: The breakfast buffet was excellent. $15 per adult. The evening meal was good. The last night we had dinner in the Italian restaurant. We ended up ordering off the regular restaurant menu.

Local markets: There is a small center on the opposite side of the Hotel street. I would not chance crossing it.

Local area: Angkor Wat and Siem Reap.

Negatives: Just the internet for me.

Closing: I would stay again. Given the condition of my friends mother the Hotel was very good and helpful. Everyone so pleasant and always coming to her aid when needed. The Temples were special.

DownUnderFlyer Jul 26, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks for this report. Siem Reap now has some really nice properties to chose from even so the local population is still very poor. I might try the Meridien next time if I will not stay at my favourite Hotel de la Paix. ^

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 26, 2007 6:53 am

It should be noted also. Given the numerous flights daily on Bangkok Airways it would be very easy to make Angkor Wat a day trip. Knowing what I know now it is what I would have done if it was just myself.

SEA2BA Jul 26, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks for the detailed report. I have a reservation at this hotel in November for my first visit to Angkor Wat. Very much looking forward to seeing the temples!

SEA2BA

boazs Jul 26, 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8122254)
It should be noted also. Given the numerous flights daily on Bangkok Airways it would be very easy to make Angkor Wat a day trip. Knowing what I know now it is what I would have done if it was just myself.

I think the ruins of the great city of Angkor deserve more than a day trip - if you have the time, of course. A week is great, but three days is the minimum, in my opinion.

360guy Jul 26, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks again RTWSTARALLIANCE for another great trip report. I always enjoy your attention to details.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 26, 2007 1:42 pm

Thank you. You are welcome. Enjoy doing it but off memory since could not log in in REP.

I had a couple of issues and spoke with the GM. Upon return to BKK had a nice detailed reply from the GM after our conversation.

BTW. At REP the PG (Bangkok Airways) flights only board 30 minutes before departure. The is a foot massage place which is like $20 US for 60 minutes with a number of shops. Regards from the Conrad Bangkok. Like home.

SEA2BA Jul 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 8124829)
BTW. At REP the PG (Bangkok Airways) flights only board 30 minutes before departure. The is a foot massage place which is like $20 US for 60 minutes with a number of shops.

Good to know, as I'll also be using PG to get between BKK and REP. I found last year in Vietnam that we stuck to U.S. standards for getting to the airport before a flight and invariably found ourselves there way too early with little to do for hours. Being a foot massage addict (always a must-do on my SIN layovers) good to know I will be able to fill my time at REP!

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 26, 2007 2:21 pm

There is supposed to be a huge floating city which can be reached by boat. Did not make it there.