Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by westinlongbeach
Hello Mendy7511,

Thank you for your review. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with us. Here at The Westin Long Beach we do our best to accommodate our guests especially our SPG Platinum members. We are also puzzled to know suites were still available on our online booking system being that our property was at full capacity on the day of your arrival. Rest assure that we have brought this to the attention of our reservations team so that they may check our online booking engines to avoid misleading future guests.

We also tried our very hardest to provide you with Platinum amenities such as an upgrade to a harbor view room as well as cancelling a second reservation without penalty. We are sincerely sorry if our offerings did not meet your expectations.

We invite you to reach out to us so that we may discuss this situation further. It is our hope to welcome you back to The Westin Long Beach so that we may provide you with the pleasant and refreshing stay you deserve.

Thank you again for your time and understanding. Be well.

Respectfully,
The Westin Long Beach

T 562.436.3000
E [email protected]
Wow, signed up just to reply to my post!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by westinlongbeach
Hello Mendy7511,

Thank you for your review. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with us. Here at The Westin Long Beach we do our best to accommodate our guests especially our SPG Platinum members. We are also puzzled to know suites were still available on our online booking system being that our property was at full capacity on the day of your arrival. Rest assure that we have brought this to the attention of our reservations team so that they may check our online booking engines to avoid misleading future guests.

We also tried our very hardest to provide you with Platinum amenities such as an upgrade to a harbor view room as well as cancelling a second reservation without penalty. We are sincerely sorry if our offerings did not meet your expectations.

We invite you to reach out to us so that we may discuss this situation further. It is our hope to welcome you back to The Westin Long Beach so that we may provide you with the pleasant and refreshing stay you deserve.

Thank you again for your time and understanding. Be well.

Respectfully,
The Westin Long Beach

T 562.436.3000
E [email protected]
I suppose if you already went through the trouble of signing up to Flyertalk to defend your hotel, maybe you can respond to my other 2 concerns with the hotel.
  1. weird rate changes outlined in another thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21285558-post1158.html
  2. The amenities listed on your site (and in the room) include an in-room spa. when I tried to book a treatment, I was told "we don't offer this at the hotel, you will have to look off site".
Looking forward to your comments.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:48 am
Used to be highman123

Here's my review:

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275...ch_la_area.php

I just spent one night at this property. Long Beach is part of LA County but actually feels more like Orange County.

I had a good stay there but the location is too remote for me so I wouldn't come back again unless I'd have business in the immediate vicinity.

Pros:

- immaculate, renovated rooms & suites, I really liked my executive room

- friendly staff, all interaction with the staff was on par and staff seemed knowledgeable

- good rates ($100) for a weekday in L.A. in rather busy fall season

Cons:

- sloooow Wifi, I hate hotels with slow Wifi and this hotel throttled it at 0.6 Mbit which is slower than your 3G cell phone connection, why are we Platinum when Wifi is unusable?

- Long Beach is not really close to anything in LA

- really mediocre breakfast even for US standards, with just coffee and pastries as Platinum amenity

- there is no lounge for Platinums

- overall almost no Platinum recognition
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
I agree with the last two posters Mendy and Mighty about the almost-nil recognition of platinum status at Westin Long Beach. The breakfast option, for example, boiled down to a waiter at breakfast telling me to eat 'anything cold' from the full buffet - which amounted to fruit, bread, and sweet yogurt.

Beware of the rate changes after booking. This has been mentioned many times in this thread. For me, my rate increased from $97 base without taxes nightly to $120 without taxes upon confirmation). It was a "favor" at the front desk to change it back to the rate I booked.

Lastly, the hotel will try to upcharge you as much as possible. First, my internet charges were not waived even though I am platinum. I had to call the front desk to have this updated. Second, my laundry charges came back higher than what was listed on the laundry sheet. Isn't $12 enough to wash a pair of pants? How can you stand to further increase these already inflated prices? Not only is it even less of a value, it is either incompetent or dishonest. Three of my items were overcharged, and I had to call to have the charges adjusted. I almost didn't look at the laundry receipts, and I feel sorry for those who didn't look at their charges as they were almost certainly overcharged (about $1 dollar per item).

The manager called me and was cordial, but did not offer anything whatsoever other than 'we are looking into it.' Of course, I know I am not the first to have these problems (read the earlier posts on this thread). I assume that this has 'been looked into' before and obviously the problems persist.

Dishonest or incompetent? Hard to say, but neither is in line with the majority of Westins that offer excellent customer service, and are upfront with not only correcting their mistakes but doing something extra for their best customers.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by sky_priority
I agree with the last two posters Mendy and Mighty about the almost-nil recognition of platinum status at Westin Long Beach. The breakfast option, for example, boiled down to a waiter at breakfast telling me to eat 'anything cold' from the full buffet - which amounted to fruit, bread, and sweet yogurt.

Beware of the rate changes after booking. This has been mentioned many times in this thread. For me, my rate increased from $97 base without taxes nightly to $120 without taxes upon confirmation). It was a "favor" at the front desk to change it back to the rate I booked.

Lastly, the hotel will try to upcharge you as much as possible. First, my internet charges were not waived even though I am platinum. I had to call the front desk to have this updated. Second, my laundry charges came back higher than what was listed on the laundry sheet. Isn't $12 enough to wash a pair of pants? How can you stand to further increase these already inflated prices? Not only is it even less of a value, it is either incompetent or dishonest. Three of my items were overcharged, and I had to call to have the charges adjusted. I almost didn't look at the laundry receipts, and I feel sorry for those who didn't look at their charges as they were almost certainly overcharged (about $1 dollar per item).

The manager called me and was cordial, but did not offer anything whatsoever other than 'we are looking into it.' Of course, I know I am not the first to have these problems (read the earlier posts on this thread). I assume that this has 'been looked into' before and obviously the problems persist.

Dishonest or incompetent? Hard to say, but neither is in line with the majority of Westins that offer excellent customer service, and are upfront with not only correcting their mistakes but doing something extra for their best customers.

I'm going to assume that others also assumed and didn't call CS to report the issues at this property.

Are you going to contact CCS?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I stayed here last week (as a Platinum) based on limited choices for where I needed to be. I looked at the Sheraton Cerritos and just flipped a coin. Based on the earlier reviews, I was thinking it wouldn't be so good of a place.

On the contrary actually, as I had a lovely stay. I looked at MightyTravels review and my room was twice that size.

Parking is $18 daily with in and out. It was pretty ample and I found it convenient.

Checkin & Platinum recognition:
When I checked in, they recognized my status and went looking for a suite. They didn't have one for my entire stay and the view wasn't that great so I opted out of the suite and took a partial Queen Mary View King room on the 15th floor instead. Because they offered the suite for part of my stay, I didn't consider this to be a "upgrade failure".

In addition, they asked me what I'd like as a Check in amenity. They said because they don't offer a lounge that they'd give me double platinum amenity points instead which I took. I also took advantage of "Green choice". Both the double Plat amenity and Green points posted last night. This hotel is also part of the "double starwood points promotion" so I earned that as well. All and all for a 4 night stay, I earned nearly 7,000 starpoints

The staff deserve major kudos for their hospitality. They were super friendly and welcoming.

Internet: It was available via wifi and plenty fast. Fast enough to stream youtube without hiccups. I never had an issue here. It was stable and quick.

Room: Immaculate and renovated. Reminded me a bunch of the Westin Toronto Downtown which I love.

I liked it so much I plan to stay here next week to requalify for Starwood Platinum.

The lone negative is the A/C doesn't get that cold.

I agree this place isn't very close to LA but it's close enough to anything remotely decent in Long Beach as far as restaurants and bars are concerned so it's imminently walkable (Beechwood BBQ & Congregation Ale House are good choices). To me that is a major bonus because I don't need to get out and brave LA traffic at night when I'm hungry and want to visit a restaurant.

I recommend this place.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I stayed a 2nd week which requalified me for Platinum. Overall, the same experience as previous except the front desk clerk didn't bother checking for any upgrades.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sky_priority
Dishonest or incompetent?
There's an easy test for that. Do they ever get it wrong to their disadvantage?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
We just had a perfectly fine stay here this past weekend. Platinum upgrade (pre-arranged) to a xx47 room which is the open-concept suite on the south end that others have mentioned. A junior suite really. Only 1 TV. Some view if the water. I think the references in the old posts to Queen Mary views are out of date as some tall buildings have been built since then. I think only a few rooms on the north end up high would have Queen Mary views now.
We really enjoyed the area. Queen Mary. The Aquarium. Shops on 1st Street just south of the hotel including some nice little boutiques.
Yes the pool is small but it was never crowded. Nice and warm and a hot spa.
Called for sheets for the sofa bed and they offered to make it up, which was nice. The entire hotel seemed very clean and well maintained to me with just a few exceptions (like the railing around the pool deck).
We didn't eat in the hotel.
Used the westin workout gear. Had a nice run southbound along the ocean to the next pier. 5 miles round trip.
We arrived at the hotel Saturday afternoon and found street parking east of the hotel. Didn't have to pay or move the car on Sunday.
Not a global destination but a fun exploratory getaway.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:13 am
Suspended

if i'm going on a cruise, is it easy to get there form the hotel? can you walk? does the hotel have transportation?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
if i'm going on a cruise, is it easy to get there form the hotel? can you walk? does the hotel have transportation?
No, you'd probably have to take a taxi. I'm assuming your boat docks at San Pedro?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:15 am

Any know how large the in-room safes are? Can I fit a 15" laptop and a DSLR?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Has anyone applied a suite upgrade at this hotel? If so, what did you get? Is it just the "junior suite" or the bi-level suite?

I realize that people are mostly reporting getting upgrades to the junior suite, but I couldn't tell whether that was using a suite upgrade cert or just a pure freebie.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BigE
Has anyone applied a suite upgrade at this hotel? If so, what did you get? Is it just the "junior suite" or the bi-level suite?

I realize that people are mostly reporting getting upgrades to the junior suite, but I couldn't tell whether that was using a suite upgrade cert or just a pure freebie.
I stayed there 2 weeks ago and received an upgrade to the executive suite as a platinum (didn't use SNAs).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
From a purely (carless) leisure perspective, is this a decent property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.