Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Back on topic!

I wrote to the Leahi Lounge manager after finding some non-disclosed bacon in the savory mushroom/spinach bread pudding. Turns out there is actually a vegetarian menu offered in the lounge. I've probably spent close to 100 nights at this hotel, and that's the first I've heard of it.

Please stop by our Leahi receptionist desk and let our team know you would like to see the vegetarian menu. We can have the chef make a special order for you for the night time. Please see the option below:

Veggie options

Veggie quesadilla with tomato salsa and guacamole

Steamed vegetables with vegan dumplings

Grilled tofu tacos with avocado and tomatoes

Fried tofu and vegetable stir-fry

Veggie pasta with tomato sauce and penne pasta

I also asked about when the Leahi renovations would take place. Reply is: "The Leahi renovation is tentatively schedule on the 2nd week of Aug till end of Oct."
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I wrote to the Leahi Lounge manager after finding some non-disclosed bacon in the savory mushroom/spinach bread pudding. Turns out there is actually a vegetarian menu offered in the lounge. I've probably spent close to 100 nights at this hotel, and that's the first I've heard of it.

I also asked about when the Leahi renovations would take place. Reply is: "The Leahi renovation is tentatively schedule on the 2nd week of Aug till end of Oct."

MG, so are they working top down or bottom up on the tower rooms ? I t think I am going to try to hold off in the chance of getting a refreshed room.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
MG, so are they working top down or bottom up on the tower rooms ? I t think I am going to try to hold off in the chance of getting a refreshed room.
Appears to be top down from the exterior, but I did see some floor that were partially blocked off when the elevator stopped there. The 30th floor where the lounge is, was also partially blocked.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Originally Posted by clublounger
It'd be nice if ANY of this discussion had something to do with the Sheraton Waikiki.
Originally Posted by edgewood49
it does there are many of us in here that "chat" about everything relevant to staying at the Sheraton and that includes getting to and from the islands.
Chit chat about getting to and from the islands is not considered on-topic for a property master thread.

Folks,
I have deleted several posts which, while interesting, were not about the Sheraton. This is not a thread about Hawaiian travel or a property comparison thread. When your posts start to compare properties that don’t include the property the master thread is about, you should be taking that to a city/region comparison thread.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Mod, MB Forum

Bellerina likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Who knew? Some of the evening items can be a bit sketchy and these look like solid alternatives. MG: once again, you are a font of knowledge about this property!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:58 am

Appears to be top down from the exterior, but I did see some floor that were partially blocked off when the elevator stopped there. The 30th floor where the lounge is, was also partially blocked.
Thanks that's usually the way exterior rehab is done ( one of my companies specialties) if their doing the balcony surfaces usually you do the rooms at the same time. This is the first real restoration of the tower that I have seen in all the years of going to the islands for work and pleasure. Should put this place back near the top again.

Keep us posted.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Finally I have stayed at Sheraton Waikiki for 7 nights from 21-28 April. I was using 7-night NC6 certificate to stay there (booked before this became a Cat 7).

They upgraded me to Diamond Head ocean view room from City view room, even I am a lowly Gold member. The room is small and definitely in need for renovation, but the 2 double bed is enough for 2 adults and 2 small kids. View from the room is fantastic though.

Needless to say, I didn't get free breakfast but then I never expected one. Lawson convenience store downstairs has some good snacks and breads for sale, and is very convenient. Some days we went to Royal Hawaiian bakery to eat, and charge back to our room. Some days we ate at some of the local restaurants etc.

The resort fee was unavoidable and we paid it, even though I don't think they should charge for people staying for awards. It seems to be applicable to USA.

Not sure if it was because of Golden Week or just the fact it is Honolulu, there were tons of Japanese visitors everywhere when we stayed there.

We stayed at level 17, and renovation is ongoing on level 18. some of the levels can only be accessed by 1 side of the lifts. During day time there was some noise but we go out a lot of time so does not affect us. We washed our clothes in the laundry every few days, $5 for washing and $5 for drying. Great for family of 4 like us.

The kids pool with slide is great, even though the one at Marriott Wailea we stayed earlier has far better facility. Then again it is right next to Waikiki beach, and I have to say it is in a super convenient location, next to Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre and all the major shops and restaurants on the main street.

Overall we had a great time at the hotel and Honolulu in general.

Finally on our last day there was Spam Jam Festival on the main street, which was closed to cars. Luckily it didn't affect us in terms of getting to the car park (we hired a car for 7 days). Tons of stalls selling Spam dishes. I am still amazed that there is a festival on SPAM though, especially people a lining up to pay $20 on a SPAM T-Shirt.

We had a great time at Sheraton and once they have upgraded all their facilities I may stay there again. But I am still surprised that this is now a Cat 7 hotel, I just cannot see it. I think it should be Cat 6 at Maximum.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
We had a great time at Sheraton and once they have upgraded all their facilities I may stay there again. But I am still surprised that this is now a Cat 7 hotel, I just cannot see it. I think it should be Cat 6 at Maximum.
The category settings are a combination of desirability and quality - a hotel which is very desirable and often booked out might have a higher category number even if the quality is lacking somewhat. For now I don't pay so much attention to the category numbers but look at the points required per night and divide by 3 to look at what I would have paid under the SPG program which is my barometer for value. 36K/night is 12k/night under the SPG system which is somewhat over-baked for this hotel, it should be 30k/night or 10k SPG pts. When the requirement is out of line with the value, and the nightly cash rate is high, I just look at AirBNB since with LTP, I have nothing to lose anymore.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The category settings are a combination of desirability and quality - a hotel which is very desirable and often booked out might have a higher category number even if the quality is lacking somewhat. For now I don't pay so much attention to the category numbers but look at the points required per night and divide by 3 to look at what I would have paid under the SPG program which is my barometer for value. 36K/night is 12k/night under the SPG system which is somewhat over-baked for this hotel, it should be 30k/night or 10k SPG pts. When the requirement is out of line with the value, and the nightly cash rate is high, I just look at AirBNB since with LTP, I have nothing to lose anymore.
As a cat 7, this hotel is now 60K pts/night.

Last edited by margarita girl; May 7, 2019 at 5:18 am Reason: Incorrect category
Old May 6, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The category settings are a combination of desirability and quality - a hotel which is very desirable and often booked out might have a higher category number even if the quality is lacking somewhat.
Marriott's stated criterion is award demand - more popular properties are priced higher.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As a cat 6, this hotel is now 50K pts/night.
Oh well - absent a good Kama'aina deal, I will keep my 25 years of fond memories of this hotel and move on to greener pastures elsewhere.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:50 am

Oh well - absent a good Kama'aina deal, I will keep my 25 years of fond memories of this hotel and move on to greener pastures elsewhere.

I think there are many of us that are "looking" around or weighing options. Cash and points might work. And then there is the time of year, which in recent memory does not make much of a difference anymore.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:54 pm

As a cat 6, this hotel is now 50K pts/night.
Actually, it is now a Cat 7 hotel, so 60K points per night.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Actually, it is now a Cat 7 hotel, so 60K points per night.
My bad. Thanks for the correction. I never use points in HNL anyhow.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:25 am

My bad. Thanks for the correction. I never use points in HNL anyhow.
I find it is better to use points at Maui than HNL as the hotel room at Maui is much more expensive. I used certs at Marriott Wailea Resort and it is all worth it, and amazingly it is still only Cat 6 even though rooms can be more than $600 USD++ per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.