Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Montevideo (Closed) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton Montevideo (Closed) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Montevideo (Closed) [Master Thread]

At US$49.00 per night, I could not resist staying at this property for two nights. It is an incredible bargain, especially since my final bill, which included a telephone call, was less than US$100.00 for both nights total. This total amount included all taxes and fees, a buffet breakfast every morning and valet parking (not including any tips, of course).

This property, located at 1275 Ejido Street, is located closer to central Montevideo and the Cuidad Viejo section than the Sheraton Montevideo Hotel. It is located fewer than two blocks south of Avenida 18 de Julio, which is the main east-west avenue through Montevideo.

This property officially opened on April 11, 2005, so everything was practically brand-new. This property is better and more impressive than any Four Points by Sheraton that I have ever stayed at in the United States: it has 10 floors of guest rooms plus a lobby. Not unlike in a luxury hotel, the interior of the hotel has a spacious atrium that can be overlooked from any of the floors, and the three elevators have windows through which one can view the trip up or down while riding them.

The staff was okay, I suppose — but Alejandro was the shining star of the staff. He parked my rental car, brought my luggage up to my room, showed me around the room, checked to ensure that everything worked in the room, explained different things to me and ensured that he would be available for anything that I needed. Try to speak Spanish to him and he will tell you he prefers to speak English, as he wants to learn how to speak English properly. He was extraordinarily helpful with my day trips to Punta del Este and Colonia del Sacramento. I gave him plenty of tips, as he was worth every Uruguayan peso. Ask for him if you plan to stay at this property. He will take excellent care of you and attend to you in any way possible.

The neighborhood in which this property is located seemed to be less than desirable upon first glance, but I have had no problems whatsoever. Automated teller machines, as well as markets and other businesses, were within walking distance of this property.

The room was clean and spacious but nothing extraordinary, although it was missing an alarm clock for some reason. There was a full mini-bar and the bathroom was a typical European-style bathroom with a bidet. I had a view of Ejido Street, which is not saying much, but if I looked out of the extreme right side of my window south on Ejido Street, I could see the Rio de la Plata in the distance several blocks away.

Do not pay attention to the vague directions at the Starwood Internet web site pertaining to this hotel, which has no usable map. I can give you directions to this hotel if you intend to drive a car and are interested. It is easy to pass up the hotel once arriving by car, as there is a building that is closer to the street than the property and therefore obscures the main sign to the hotel. This is further exacerbated if a bus is parked in front of the property, which is why I passed by the property the first time I drove up to it. Ejido Street is a one-way street northbound, so one has to drive around the neighborhood to get back on to this street to reach the hotel. Look for the tall red brick building on the right side of Ejido Street. The property is located immediately across the street on the left side.

Breakfast included scrambled eggs so runny you could pour them, bacon that resembled ham, a variety of breads, fruits (none were fresh — one could tell that they came out of a can), cereals in burlap sacks that made for a nice decoration, cakes and juices. It is certainly not the best breakfast I have ever seen, but it is far from the worst, as I was able to fill myself.

Although the official currency of Uruguay is the Uruguayan peso, all of the prices in the hotel were quoted in United States dollars.

Overall, I would recommend this property — especially if one can procure the US$49.00 rate.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 2, 2005 at 10:20 pm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:48 am

Programs: UA
I just completed two stays at this property. I would say that the quality has dropped.

Last edited by Fiumicino; Feb 28, 2007 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
I also had a great stay at this property. No upgrade but a great room and friendly staff. I paid $49.00 per night which is amazing value for a very nice 4 Points property.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Enjoyes Four Points Montevideo

My short take on Four Points Monevideo, sent this to TripAdvisor yesterday.

We stayed for one night at Four Points in Montevideo in December of 2006 at the end of our Argentina/Uruguay trip. The price of our king room was US$70:- including breakfast.

This hotel still feels very new (built in 2005 if I am correct), rooms are modern and clean. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the pool/fitness center though. Hotel is situated an easy 10-15-minutes walk from the old city. Service at the hotel is also very good and most of the staff speak good English.

In the evening we were wondering where to go for dinner and got an excellent recommendation from the duty manager. We had a dinner at "Che Montevideo" by the river on Rambla M. Gandhi, 10 minutes taxi drive from hotel. The restaurant has tables both inside and outside and is very popular because of the location. Both service and food were excellent too! Ask the reception to make a reservation for you, you won't be disappointed.

We found Four Points to be excellent value for money and won't hesitate to stay there again the next time we are in Montevideo.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:23 pm
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
I have stayed at both the 4 points and the Sheraton, and the 4 points is by far the nicer of the 2 hotels. $49 a night is amazing value, it is often around half the price of the Sheraton, but worth a whole lot more. The Sheraton is looking really tatty, and has the usual warmer-tray hot breakfast, which is horrible. 4 points have a great fresh breakfast, with freshly cooked eggs. I have stayed at both hotels a few times (including the Sheraton last week - my employer booked it), and for the life of me I can't work out the price disparity.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:24 pm

After reading this thread, I chose to stay at Four Points this month. It's a nice place and the staff is really great. It's close to the port, downtown, and the airline offices in Independence Plaza.

However, after 1 night, I switched to the Sheraton. The reason is that Four Points couldn't fix my air conditioning. I asked for another room but they wanted to try fixing it.

At this time I realized why the Sheraton is more expensive. It's within walking distance of the nicest beach. If you're there as a tourist, this is a huge plus. Although cabs are cheap, they're not always available, and I'd much rather be able to walk back and forth to various attractions. The Sheraton is also close to the bus station, which is useful for a trip to Punta. Finally, besides being across from a Buquebus ferry office, attached to a mall, and near some stores, it's also within walking distance of restaurant Francis and also La Spaghetteria 23. They were both great restaurants and latter was outstanding. They served me the best meal I had in 3 weeks in South America.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:57 pm
SST

I enjoyed my stay at the 4 Points, but the rates -ahem- have gone up. It was $US110 a night---- and the front desk said nothing about a breakfast included for a platinum. We got a very nice room, but it was on the 1st (US "second") floor. Since we were only there for a night, no great loss, but I suppose a free bfast might have offset the rate increase a little (note: the hotel wasn't full by a long shot, either).

The hotel location is actually pretty convenient for the first-time visitor to Montevideo: safe neighborhood, a block from the main shopping street, leading to the old port area. A crafts market directly behind the hotel, and easy cab availability at the street in front of the hotel were both nice: we'd go back as it's really a nice 4PTS.

Last edited by SST; Feb 26, 2008 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I had a pleasant stay there a couple of nights ago. The lowest rate was $124 (less than the Sheraton) but then I saw it was only 3000 points. SOLD. Instead of my first 2010 stay, my balance is 3000 points lower. It is one of the nicest Four Points I've been to. Maybe the nicest. The upgrade was to a corner room with a large bathroom (jacuzzi tub and separate shower) and instead of 250 points, I decided a plate with meats/cheese and a 1/2 bottle of wine would be better. The location was fine - it was just a 24 hour stay. Early check-in was available (about noon). We were not on a SPG or "Comfy Room" (as they call them) floor so I have no idea what those are all about. We did not partake in the breakfast, so I have no idea how runny the eggs are. The bill (or lack thereof) was pleasant, too!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is breakfast included for Platinums at this property?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am here now...I took the public bus from the airport, which was quite interesting. Only cost about $1.50 and it drops you a few blocks from the property. But, the busses are certainly 3rd-world quality. A taxi is $35-40 to the airport (which I will be doing).

Excellent Plat recognition here, trendy lobby, but if youre not upgraded to an "Extra Comfy Room" (as a Plat, I was not), the furnishings are quite basic and uninspiring. Almost old-looking. Ive seen far nicer Four Points in the US such as the Four Points Charlotte and the Four Points Sacramento Airport. Perhaps the upgraded rooms here are nicer. I was told about the free Internet right off the bat, which impressed me.

The air conditioning in guest rooms is very weak.

I asked about breakfast for Plats, she looked in the computer (I presume to check my rate), and then said, "well I will be happy to include that for you." Not sure if that is the norm for Plats or if she was just being nice. Definitely a very nice Four Points and well-situated for tourists and business travelers!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Just doing a stay at this property. Asked about an upgrade and told I was upgraded, which turned out just to be to the SPG floor in a normal traditional room.

Also inquired about breakfast and was told it isn't a Plat benefit and would be 16USD for continental.

Had to ask about plat amenity and chose meat/cheese platter with wine instead of 250 points or local gift of marmalade.

Aircon is really weak as others have pointed out.

Location is great for sightseeing as is close to the old city.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JD623
Just doing a stay at this property. Asked about an upgrade and told I was upgraded, which turned out just to be to the SPG floor in a normal traditional room.

Also inquired about breakfast and was told it isn't a Plat benefit and would be 16USD for continental.

Had to ask about plat amenity and chose meat/cheese platter with wine instead of 250 points or local gift of marmalade.

Aircon is really weak as others have pointed out.

Location is great for sightseeing as is close to the old city.
Looks like i just missed you...did you get one of the Extra Comfy Rooms? I wonder what the difference is with the regular rooms?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed here in 2008 and it is a very, very nice Four Points. It had a bright, modern lobby with a full-service restaurant and computers with free Internet access. The room was somewhat simple but very clean and fairly large. It also had a decent gym and a nice pool on the top floor with a picturesque view. The neighborhood was okay - it didn't seem any better or worse than other parts of the city but we didn't venture out after dark and had drinks in the evening at the hotel.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Any recent updates on this property?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
mvd hotel

thinking of traveling next month to mvd, anyone have experience with 4 points? apparently sheraton not avail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.