Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
This hotel has no pool, correct? Seems odd for a hotel in LA.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:52 am

How is the quality of the evening lounge food presentation?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Its also a great location; some really good restaurants within just 2 blocks. Subway underneath the building. Whole Foods 1 block away. But the best part is District on the lower level; they make amazing and unique cocktails.
Stopped by The Bloc the other day (not staying at the hotel) and enjoyed this bar. It's not obvious that it's a hotel bar when you come in from the mall side, and it seemed to hold up well on its own.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Staying here with an electric car. Confirmed 2 days ago that valet (now $52/night) can charge the EV. Upon arrival, I'm told the charger they have is broken. I asked them to figure out how to charge the car overnight -- I'm sure there is a plug somewhere in DTLA. They're blaming "third parties" and aren't solving the problem. Since it's after 11pm, we are trying to get to sleep so that we can continue our trip by car in the morning. It seems incredible that the hotel and valet are incapable of delivering on the expectation that $52 provides.

Beware if you need to charge an EV here!
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Beware of prepaid reservations with them. I was trying to get LNF rate and booked non refundable rates (after next day). I canceled within the allowable time, but no refund until I called them to get the refund. Other hotels, normally process the refund right away. Not these guys.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Really enjoyed my weekend stay here. This is not an old/tired Sheraton I would expect. Nicely renovated, nice rooms, good staff, nice lounge, very good location.

On points this is often the same as the Courtyard/Residence LA live and I would stay here over those two properties without hesitation.
Adelphos and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Solid experience. Lobby and lobby bar are newly renovated and don’t look tire at all. I was upgraded to a suite as a Gold. Central location near most DTLA landmarks. I would stay here again if I needed to be in the location.

Last edited by Adelphos; Jan 28, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Booked a standard room here, got upgraded to the "One Bedroom Suite" on arrival. The FD agent didn't mention anything about elevator noise at check-in; as others have posted, these suites are all laid out in an "L" shape around the elevators and the elevators are pretty loud as they go by. I later called down to ask if there were other rooms available but was told the hotel was at full occupancy. I checked-in late so I'm guessing I only got the upgrade because other guests rejected the room.

I did swing by the FD on my way out the next day to ask for a room change, but there were probably 15+ people in line waiting to check in so I didn't bother. I wasn't looking forward to the hassle of changing rooms anyway so just stayed in the same room.

The suite layout is also very odd; the only bathroom is in the living room of the suite. The bedroom doesn't have its own bathroom. Due to this awkward layout and the fact that the room is so noisy from the elevator anyway, I feel like this room would actually be better as a single large room than as a true suite.

The room is clearly recently renovated, but one major failure is the recessed curtain. While it is recessed, the top of the blackout curtain actually hangs lower than the recessed area, making it totally useless and lots of light gets in.

Other than the FD experiences, staff seemed motivated and friendly. I probably wouldn't stay here again even if I had to be downtown, though.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:06 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Any stays here post covid?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:31 pm
formerly smoaky

Any recent stays here? I got a great rate but a little worried about the property based on trip advisor reviews. I am platinum but doesn't seem like that counts for much here?

Is there a self-parking option? I read above that it's over $50 per day for valet; staying a week and I am not keen to pay $350 plus tips.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
During my three-night stay in November 2019, I learned there is much cheaper parking right next door, used by the adjacent shopping mall patrons. Valet is the only option on premises.

In those pre-Covid days, I thought the lounge was wonderful, and enjoyed walking around town, including past City Hall to the Cathedral, with my wife and older young-adult son.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Stayed last weekend at the Sheraton Grand LA. Unfortunately the lounge on the 26th floor remains closed, indefinitely.
At least, Plat and above get a good breakfast in the District restaurant.
They have a special Elite menu - no prices. And you get no bill to sign.

No room cleaning during a 2 day stay (as expected). Overall hotel is clean and in good condition.
I would still recommend.
Masks still required in lobby and common areas, even though mask mandate is over. Not an issue in my view.

The outside area surrounding the hotel, which used to be good, continues to decline with all the street people. Some yelling at people etc.
This I think is the reason for continued reduced business and lack of events at the hotel.
Like this in Seattle and San Fran as well.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I’m halfway through a 2 night stay - booked 2-3 days in advance for just over $200 per night, which included a $30 per night F&B credit. The price further came down to $179 day of arrival so it would’ve paid to wait. I applied 2 SNAs at booking which cleared immediately.

The lounge is open during the week, but closed on the weekends (completely locked up, can’t use it for coffee/etc.) so I was given breakfast chits for District restaurant for my family of 3 for each of the two days. There is a separate menu for the coupons, but it has several options - all choices include coffee/juice, a fruit plate, and an entree (breakfast sandwich, pancakes, traditional egg breakfast, omelette - probably 8 choices total but I didn’t have my phone to take a menu picture). The portions were huge and the quality was fine, friendly service as well. Like Cova mentioned above, you don’t get a bill to sign and the chit specifies that a tip is included for staff.

At check-in, we were told we could use the entire $60 credit at once (didn’t have to use it $30 per day) so we had dinner at the hotel as our son was tired. The food was pretty good and it was nice to be able to sit outside on the plaza.

The one-bedroom suite is a true suite, although the bathroom is fairly small - I assume no larger than the typical room. The suites all back up to the elevators (I was warned of this at checkin) so you do hear the elevators rumbling in the room - this was solved by white noise. There is also some street noise but it didn’t bother me.

I was proactively offered a late checkout at checkin, but didn’t need it. The area around the hotel is a bit weird in terms of homelessness, but personally I don’t find it any weirder than it was pre-COVID. My last stay was in 2018 (I think) and it seems pretty similar to then. DTLA isn’t my favorite but it was convenient for this trip and the hotel worked well.. overall I’d say this was one of my better/most full service experiences with Marriott since COVID started.

Last edited by River in Sight; Apr 16, 2022 at 9:10 pm
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:36 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I finally had a stay here with the lounge open. The new hours are baffling (and shorter)… Breakfast is 6:30-9:30 M-F, and Evening Hors d’oeuvres are 18:00-20:00 Su-Th. I’m not surprised given how the property always views this as a cost centre. The water bottles are 8oz sized and the sausage quality is worse, but all of the other fixtures remain. Knowing chits are still given out on the weekends, I’d time out my stay accordingly because the offerings at The District are way better than the lounge pre/post-COVID.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any recent stays? Have always gotten great treatment at the Bonaventure.

this is a tad further from the Disney Center but $35 cheaper on the night I’m interested. How do they compare in terms of rooms and upgrade (without using TSU). (I’m lifetime Titanium).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.