Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

Hi, folks! Apologies for not finding a China-wide MB thread, but figured I would post this from the China forum, as well, to get a wide variety of opinions.

I loved my time in Shanghai, so I’m thinking of taking a longer trip at some point later this year with a real visa. My biggest passion in travel is visiting different hotels, so I always stay at a different hotel every night. Luckily, China seems to have no shortage of Marriott properties to try. I’m looking for opinions on different cities to either make sure to visit or to avoid. If it matters, I’m very visibly a Westerner with no Chinese language skills (sadly). Outside of hotels, I enjoy walking around cities, parks, shopping malls, etc, to observe the day-to-day culture and feel of a city.

As mentioned, I have been to Shanghai (which I would love to visit again), Hong Kong, and Macau. I definitely want to visit Beijing and Shenzhen. Presumably, I should also visit Guangzhou from Shenzhen. Other cities I’m seeing with lots of hotel options seem to include:
  • Changsha
  • Changzhou
  • Chengdu
  • Chongqing
  • Fuzhou
  • Haikou
  • Hangzhou
  • Huzhou seems to have a circular Sheraton
  • Nanjing
  • Nanning
  • Ningbo
  • Qingdao
  • Sanya? I’m not a huge resort person, but maybe Hainan is worth visiting?
  • Shenyang
  • Suzhou
  • Tianjin
  • Wenzhou
  • Wuhan
  • Xi’an
  • Xiamen
  • Zhongshan
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
one day stays !

I would do at least 2 day stays, but somewhat understand your desires. I usually prefer only hotels with ELs.
-My 2023 favorite in Beijing is the Weston on 3rd ring in Chaoyang, but best BJ stay in 2023 was the Hyatt regency in Chaoyang for one night, (i needed to burn two free Hyatt nights due to expiration issues) And the grand Hyatt is dated & poor EL service.
- Sanya, see the threads, only made about 7 stays there of all the Marriott brands since 2009. many are dated now, but some new Marriott luxury brands need visits. the 2023 favorite is the JW in the city, the only Sanya Marriott resort with an EL, which has fabulous food & service.
- Best 2023 new Marriott resort hotel on the ocean is in Beidaihe, only a couple hours by train from Beijing. Hotel web site pics are true, this resort has no EL, as most Marriott resorts don't.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Feb 8, 2024 at 7:52 am Reason: splng
Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), United Silver
Here are some popular properties among the Chinese frequent flyer communities that come to my mind, stayed at all of them except the W Xi'an
- RC Nanjing (China flagship RC city property, excellent hardware and club lounge. Superb location. Nanjing is also a city with points of interest worth visiting)
- CAST Nanjing, Autograph Collection (Located with in the Garden Expo Park which is a point of interest itself. Make sure to ask for the private hotspring room, it has a massive tub on the balcony)
- W Shanghai (Best view over Pudong, great NUA redemption opportunity)
- St. Regis Qingdao (Highest St. Regis proprtty in China, stunning ocean view)
- Sheraton Hangzhou Qiandao Lake (Property is a bit old but IMO the best lake view in eastern China)
- EDITION Sanya (if you plan on go to Sanya and stay at only one MB property, this is the one to go to. Very good upkeep and maintenence, modern design, great service)
- Shanhaitian Resort Sanya, Autograph Collection (Rooms are on the smaller side but stylish and great ocean view. )
- W Xi'an (Flagship W property in China. Very spacious rooms and suites)
- JW Marriott Changsha (Brand new proprty with excellent lounge. Location is a bit off though)
- Westin Chongqing (Flagship Westin property in China and central location. Usually very generous with suite upgrade)
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
I will hopefully have intel on Hangzhou and Shangyeng in a couple months. Last year in Shanghai, I really enjoyed my stay at Marriott Shanghai Riverside. I was treated exceptionally well as a Titanium - though, I suppose that is the norm in Asia.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I finally made some bookings for my 3-week trip in July (will be staying at some Hyatts, too). I was hoping to visit Changsha and Qingdao, as well, but it seemed that even the Flex Rates at properties in those cities (as well as in Xi’an) wanted to take full deposits with some listing a need to mail in a check or money order (not sure what that’s about). Oh, well, looking at these - any stinkers?
  • St Regis Shenzhen
  • W Guangzhou
  • JW Chongqing
  • Westin Chongqing
  • Sheraton Chongqing
  • W Chengdu
  • St Regis Chengdu
  • JW Chengdu
  • Westin Beijing Chaoyang
  • St Regis Beijing (I’ve heard this one is old)
  • Westin Beijing Financial Street
  • W Suzhou
  • RC Shanghai Pudong
  • St Regis Shanghai
  • Portman RC (I’ve heard this one is old)
Jiatong and Singapore_Air like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:13 pm

Hi ElevatorEnthusiast

yes hotels in Qingdao and Xian for some require those as per municipal government but on the other hand I had no issues with booking hotels in both cities like the Ritz Xian without the check order. not sure if its the country you created your account in?

to answer your question, skip the St Regis Shenzhen as its very old and looking at almost 10 years, location is excellent though. there's going to be another St Regis later this year in Shenzhen Bay. W Guangzhou can skip but the hotel is very generous with elites with room upgrades. Chongqing hotels sadly I haven't been. Chengdu has great hotels and if you are looking at Marriott, perhaps only St Regis. else if you are open, you can try temple house and the Waldorf. St Regis Beijing is old old and I would recommend not staying there, there have been many plans to renovate but owner is reluctant due to money issues. St Regis Jingan is by far the weakest St Regis I have stayed. the Portman Ritz was the very first Ritz that opened in China in 1998 but rates are attractive compared to the other one in Pudong which is still holding very well in terms of room quality. W Suzhou is nice with by the lake but I will consider either the niccolo or the new four seasons suzhou on the man made island
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I finally made some bookings for my 3-week trip in July (will be staying at some Hyatts, too). I was hoping to visit Changsha and Qingdao, as well, but it seemed that even the Flex Rates at properties in those cities (as well as in Xi’an) wanted to take full deposits with some listing a need to mail in a check or money order (not sure what that’s about). Oh, well, looking at these - any stinkers?
  • St Regis Shenzhen
  • W Guangzhou
  • JW Chongqing
  • Westin Chongqing
  • Sheraton Chongqing
  • W Chengdu
  • St Regis Chengdu
  • JW Chengdu
  • Westin Beijing Chaoyang
  • St Regis Beijing (I’ve heard this one is old)
  • Westin Beijing Financial Street
  • W Suzhou
  • RC Shanghai Pudong
  • St Regis Shanghai
  • Portman RC (I’ve heard this one is old)
Likely adding Shenzhen Marriott Nanshan to this list - it looks like a nice Marriott.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Likely adding Shenzhen Marriott Nanshan to this list - it looks like a nice Marriott.
In my experience before and during Covid, the Marriott Nanshan is a much better hotel in Shenzhen with an excellent lounge service and certainly better than the St. Regis with its rather poor elite offering in the evening and some erratic service issues.

The W Guangzhou was actually my go-to hotel there as it is one of the few Ws that has an executive lounge with free booze in the evening and they were very generous with the suite upgrades. I'm not a fan of Ws generally but the lounge, suites, and spa made up for the nightclub vibe in the lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.