Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Happy

Need to ask them if it is OK to store our bags for one day before we check in (go to Salzburg from the West train station which is close to the hotel, return will stay at this Ren.)
My guess is that it would be ok. I've done that at other hotels, although in fairness I was already checked in (was staying at the property, leaving in the middle for a couple of days, and coming back to the property).

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:03 pm

another data point

Just had another data point about Marriott FS on parkring. If you can swing the going rate, it is without doubt far superior hotel (service, location, property, lounge)

All CYs are ok if you dont care for free BF/lounge and location is where you need to be.

There are two Rens.

Ren Shoenb. is recently renovated but unfortunately they did not put lounge in.

Ren Imperial (IRS) has a nice lounge but has wifi issues and some of the worst service across any Marriott properties anywhere in world (in real life experience of one person) However, Sharon loves this property and that should be taken into consideration (I always do )) If rate here is half of parking location and one has access to lounge then it is no brainer to stay here. If rates are comparable or even 30-50 euro apart, I would jump to parkring location of FS Marriott.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:00 pm

I'd actually agree with the above if prices are similar. The only caveat being is that IRS is so large it has a lot more opps for upgrades than Marriott. If someone cares about upgrades better chance w/ IRS and. It's not far away from ring. It should be noted I've stayed at Marriott and like it too. I haven't had service issues @ IRS,but acknowledge others have. if prices are dif and they usually are I'd go w/ ren irs. The only way I'd stay at the ren near schonbrunn though is of it was cheap,just because it's farther away.

Having said all that, this comes to mind 're properties in wien #firstworldproblems

Cheers
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:36 pm

what are the chance of lounge access as a lowly silver at IRS?

was able to get a 98 Euro paid rate so i'm not complaining, and considering the cost of alternative hotels i'm downright pleased.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m_l
have you tried - [email protected] ?
Thanks. I just tried it and it has the same undelivable error.
renaissance wien ([email protected])
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: marriott.com

[email protected]
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

No, this is not the one I used. I used one from previous email exchange,

[email protected]. and [email protected]

Both are returned as non-delivery. Note the fdm1 and fdm2 might stand for front desk manager.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess is that it would be ok. I've done that at other hotels, although in fairness I was already checked in (was staying at the property, leaving in the middle for a couple of days, and coming back to the property).

Cheers.
We have done the stay - away - return for another stay thing with several hotels across chains. At Westin Milan they made us signed a form to relieve the hotel for any loss / theft during the storage period. Other hotels didn't.

We have done the store bags before stay in Hyatt properties in Tokyo. The one we checked out, delivered the bags to the one we checked in after returning. I dont expect this kind of service in Europe but hope they would let us drop off our bags a day before stay. That is why I think it is better to email the hotel first.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 15, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd actually agree with the above if prices are similar. The only caveat being is that IRS is so large it has a lot more opps for upgrades than Marriott. If someone cares about upgrades better chance w/ IRS and. It's not far away from ring. It should be noted I've stayed at Marriott and like it too. I haven't had service issues @ IRS,but acknowledge others have. if prices are dif and they usually are I'd go w/ ren irs. The only way I'd stay at the ren near schonbrunn though is of it was cheap,just because it's farther away.

Having said all that, this comes to mind 're properties in wien #firstworldproblems

Cheers
IRS usually is 1/2 of the Marriott. Rein Wein is only good if you need to use the Westbahn station - that is the station used for train between Vienna and Salzburg, plus the west-bound train to Germany.

Because it is far out, naturally the rate is cheaper than IRS. It is similar to the CY Messe which has a further out location on the opposite direction! Though we would try the Hilton Vienna Danube that is one more metro stop on the U2 but is right by the Danube. Got a Waterfront room there and see if we enjoy a different, away from the city, environment.

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
what are the chance of lounge access as a lowly silver at IRS?

was able to get a 98 Euro paid rate so i'm not complaining, and considering the cost of alternative hotels i'm downright pleased.
0. But you can always pay for the Club Access. Some may consider worth it for 60 extra Euro to have a Junior suite and club access.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Imperial Riding School, Vienna

MR Notes: While I was well recognized upon my arrival, this hotel also has a really great team I feel. They also usually will upgrade you to an IC room *ahead* of your arrival if you mention that request in your Virtual Concierge request. My stay also posted automatically without any follow-up.

Review: This is my only repeat property visit during our entire trip. It is a great property that happens to also be a great value (my room rate was less than 100 euro per night, no LNF and fully refundable). On my last trip, I must have been upgraded to an IC suite as I had a huge living area in my room, while this was more a standard room above the IC lounge. As many know, the IC lounge (executive/concierge lounge) is one of the best lounges I’ve seen with food almost all day including significant dinner time dishes in the evening. The wifi it appears also works best in the IC part of the building.

Nearby: So, you can walk to the hotel from the Rennweg station which is on many train lines.

Other tips: I realize that Google maps does not have the trams in its routing/transit system. The trams are a great (better) alternative to get to places like the Opera house area and other points around town. Once you learn the tram numbers by the hotel, you will find them very convenient.

Rasheed
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:06 am

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For future reference - I called Marriott and the customer service rep could not find any regular email address for Ren Wein either. She said that was strange. In any case, she found 2 personnel's email addresses:

[email protected] (google shows she is the area manager for this Ren and the CY messe)

[email protected] (google shows she is the front desk manager at Ren Wein)

I emailed ms natascha on the bag storage request and got a positive reply.

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks. I just tried it and it has the same undelivable error.
renaissance wien ([email protected])
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: marriott.com

[email protected]
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

The following email addresses are also invalid.

[email protected]. and [email protected]

Both are returned as non-delivery. Note the fdm1 and fdm2 might stand for front desk manager.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At the Imperial Riding School right now. This is a very good hotel overall...amazing value compared to most other area hotels.

The lounge is top-notch...we've spent quite a bit of time there each day. With temps at 95-100F every day of our stay here, it's been great to have a midafternoon source of water. They have beer in the fridge all day, but it's so freaking hot that all I can do is drink lots and lots of water.

We did not get upgraded, but I was specific in my request for two adjacent two-twin rooms. I did indeed get that, rooms clean and ready for a noon check-in, but that probably took me out of the running for upgrades, which is fine with me.

The hotel stretches the idea of "walking distance" to the town center a little bit perhaps. It's running distance for *me*, someone who likes to go for a run in various cities I visit. But most readers here would likely be taking a short Uber or a tram ride into the city. That said, it's great value for an excellent hotel a 10 minute tram ride into the city. The hotel is extremely well-connected to public transit (both surface trams and trains) going in every direction from the Rennweg station.

If you arrive at VIE, you'll see guys in green shirts selling City Airport Train tickets for 12 euro. It's a nonstop train to Wien Mitte. If you're headed to the hotel, *don't* buy this ticket. Instead go all the way down to the regular OBB trains and get on the local train (the S7). It stops at Rennweg, which is directly adjacent to the hotel. CAT claims to take 16 minutes to get to Mitte, where you'd need another train to backtrack to Rennweg. The S7 makes a few stops, but gets to Rennweg in about 20 minutes, and you don't have to change trains. It's a 4.40 ride, unless you buy a Vienna Card that includes it.

We bought Vienna Cards for our stay. Unlimited public transit, and very minor discounts on attractions. We did *not* buy the Vienna Pass, which is a totally different thing that includes unlimited admission to a bunch of stuff, but requires you to sightsee a ton to pay for itself. (The Vienna Pass does not include Belvedere or a real Spanish Riding School show, two of the top 4 or 5 things you need to do in Vienna.)

Only minor knock on the hotel is that they've outsourced the management of the pool to a third party that does *not* do "hospitality." They are generally unfriendly to hotel guests (the pool obviously sells local memberships too). The pool itself is dank and small and fully indoors...this isn't a hotel you want to select based on having a great pool. The website flatters the pool.

We did not try the City Barbecue, although it does seem to attract a crowd. I don't think it's actual barbecue in any American regional sense...looks like direct-grilled meats, fish, and side dishes. Although the lounge did have some nice dry-rubbed wings one night, so maybe this place actually has a chef who knows a little bit about proper 'cue.

Overall a good hotel. Perhaps even a great one if you don't cross swords with the dragons manning the pool.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:45 pm
jxd

I managed to snag a LNF rate at the courtyard messe for 60E a night in august, is it a good rate for this property?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
At the Imperial Riding School right now. This is a very good hotel overall...amazing value compared to most other area hotels.

even a great one if you don't cross swords with the dragons manning the pool.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by jxd
I managed to snag a LNF rate at the courtyard messe for 60E a night in august, is it a good rate for this property?
Sounds like it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:07 pm

which Marriott in Vienna for a platinum member?

We are there for 4 days and the going rate is about the same at each Renaissance-- approx. 144 euros. We were also going to use points 2 days. Which M has the best location? Amenities? Concierge Lounge? I think I know but opinions please!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by sueveh
We are there for 4 days and the going rate is about the same at each Renaissance-- approx. 144 euros. We were also going to use points 2 days. Which M has the best location? Amenities? Concierge Lounge? I think I know but opinions please!
If you're talking about the two Rens, hands down the IRS. It's closer to the city center & it has an executive lounge. The Ren Wien is farther out & no lounge.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pinniped
Thanks for the great report. We opted for the FS Marriott on a recent stay, but I would be happy to try IRS on a future trip.

The FS was a very nice property, and we were upgraded to a larger "park view" room (as a Plat, on points). The lounge has a great view and decent food, but the quantity is really limited. The lobby area is also nice, and you can't beat the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.