Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Saigon Grand Opera Hotel [Ho Chi Minh] Vietnam - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

SPG member benefits provided in August 2017 by member Sheraton Saigon Hotel and Towers.

SPG member discount at Hotels venues:
  • 15% discount on Food bill (lunch & dinner only, not breakfast) at Saigon Caf Buffet Restaurant
  • 15% discount on Food bill at Level 23 Signature Restaurant and Li Bai Restaurant
  • 15% discount on Food bill, from 10AM to 11PM at Mojo on Dong Khoi and The Lounge
  • 15% discount on Food and 15% discount on non alcoholic Beverage at Level 23 Nightspot and Wine Bar.
  • 20% discount all Spa service.

Club Lounge Benefits:
  • Private and personalized registration and check out in the Lounge
  • Buffet breakfast served from 6.30am until 10.00am in the Lounge.
  • Happy Hours drinks and hors doeuvres each evening from 5.00pm to 7.30pm
  • One hour complimentary use of the Club Lounge meeting room (subject to availability)
  • Wireless and Broadband Internet connection and workstations at the Club Lounge
  • Facsimile and photocopying services available
  • Light pressing of three garments per stay upon arrival
  • 24 hour Butler service and Concierge services available
  • Choice of international newspapers in the lounge
  • Sheraton Fitness Gym featuring latest Techno gym equipment for selected workout stations
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Saigon Grand Opera Hotel [Ho Chi Minh] Vietnam - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ajca
I stayed in an old tower room a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed by almost every aspect of the hotel. The old tower rooms are very, very old and musky. At breakfast I got yelled at by a staff member for sitting at a table they had made up for lunch. And it got worse from there...

I may give them another chance in a couple of weeks - but if I do it will be in a grand tower room and I will email the GM (who did write a nice response to my complaints) and hopefully end up being looked after well.

Looking forward to Le Meridien Saigon hopefully opening one day so we have another SPG choice in town!
This doesn't sound very promising, ajca! Do you think I should be looking into another hotel near by, like the Caravelle, or give the Sheraton GT rooms a try?

Good luck if you go back in a few weeks -- it does seem that the grand tower rooms are much nicer than the old tower as they have been more recently renovated. The photos of the old tower room from travelswithmyself leave a lot to be desired.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:57 pm

Though my only stay was more than a year ago, I have to say that the old tower rooms were really not that bad IMO, just out of fashion . They were clean and the a/c worked. They didn't have that musty smell some of the old Sheratons in Indonesia have.

I particularly liked the high ceilings and airiness.

I viewed the grand tower rooms which are much newer but they felt dark and constricting after being in the old tower. But they are definitely much more modern if that's your thing.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by zzap
This doesn't sound very promising, ajca! Do you think I should be looking into another hotel near by, like the Caravelle, or give the Sheraton GT rooms a try?
The Sheraton Grand Towers rooms do look good in the photos so I reckon worth giving it a try... having said that they seem to be nearly as expensive (or sometimes more expensive) than the Park Hyatt around the corner.

The Park Hyatt is really in a class of its own in Saigon so if given the choice I would take the PH over the Sheraton any day (and you could book through Visa Luxury Hotels or Virtuoso and get more or less the same benefits you'd get through SPG Platinum, although without the points)

I have not stayed at the Caravelle but it doesn't look great in the photos and Vietnam is really not a place where you can expect a presumably locally owned and managed property to be good.

The new Pullman Saigon Centre looks quite good - very modern - and for the price of a Sheraton GT room you could get a big suite there. But its location is not as central at the Sheraton.

Intercontinental is another option but it is rather bland.

So all up I think the Sheraton Grand Towers is worth a try - unless you can get the Park Hyatt cheaper.

Good luck if you go back in a few weeks -- it does seem that the grand tower rooms are much nicer than the old tower as they have been more recently renovated. The photos of the old tower room from travelswithmyself leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks! Will report back!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajca
T
So all up I think the Sheraton Grand Towers is worth a try - unless you can get the Park Hyatt cheaper.
I have had good stays at the Sheraton Grand Towers and also nice upgrades from suite to a larger suite. This Tower was originally built I think as luxury apartments and the build quality is quite high and fairly spacious.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I had booked a room in the Grand Towers and was upgraded to their largest suite. Honestly, it was a great room and I was truly disappointed when I had to leave.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I had booked a room in the Grand Towers and was upgraded to their largest suite. Honestly, it was a great room and I was truly disappointed when I had to leave.
Great to hear! I'll book a GT room, cross my fingers that I get upgraded, and report back in a few weeks with my experience.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Great to hear! I'll book a GT room, cross my fingers that I get upgraded, and report back in a few weeks with my experience.
I was there last Christmas with two rooms my mom staying in one. Both rooms (C+P) booking. After checking in I paid 75 USD/room and night to upgrade to Grand Tower since the rooms in ordinary tower is in desperate need of renovation. Both rooms got upgraded to an Executive Suite which were very nice. The Tower Lounge is nice indeed but not on par with for instance Westin Chaoyang in PEK or Grosvenor House in DXB...

I agree with others that I can't wait for the LM SGN to open, without the Grand Tower the Sheraton would be a sad story.

One night we went for drinks and dinner at the Park Hyatt next door seems to be an awesome property..
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:15 am

I stayed at Sheraton Saigon in a standard, not grand tower, club room in May and was very disappointed, having been a resident and greatly enjoyed its level 23 cocktail bar for the views over the years. The property is tired and despite having enforced a smoking ban since late last year has the stale 'morning after in a nightclub' smell of old smoke pervading all the common areas - though thankfully not the room itself. To be honest it was all a bit depressing after a month in VN enjoying plenty of other great hotels, though the food in the lounge wasn't bad.

On alternatives in Saigon:
- Caravelle - fairly simple rooms but great views and fantastic food and breakfasts. The sunday brunch has always been fantastic too
- Sofitel is also a very nice property in one of the only 'green' areas of Saigon, good food and smart rooms
- Not stayed at the Pullman mentioned above but while the location isn't right on the Dong Khoi / Nguyen Hue downtown area its a pretty interesting area to explore and not far from Ben Thanh market
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have had good stays at the Sheraton Grand Towers and also nice upgrades from suite to a larger suite. This Tower was originally built I think as luxury apartments and the build quality is quite high and fairly spacious.
Same here. I've stayed at the property over thirty times, including a couple of months ago and think it's fine. It's only slightly over a decade old.

I've stayed at the PH numerous times as a Hyatt Diamond and while I agree it is a step up in quality from the Sheraton the rates usually reflect this.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Same here. I've stayed at the property over thirty times, including a couple of months ago and think it's fine. It's only slightly over a decade old.

I've stayed at the PH numerous times as a Hyatt Diamond and while I agree it is a step up in quality from the Sheraton the rates usually reflect this.
I also like the Park Hyatt a lot- and you are correct that typically the rates do reflect this difference.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:47 am

I stayed at the regular tower for my two nights and then upgraded myself to the Grand Tower for the remaining several days. We were upgraded to suites in both towers (as plat) and we were very glad to have moved.

As many others have already noted, the quality of rooms, the bathrooms, the exec lounge and the service in general are far superior in the Grand Tower. My biggest problem with my initial suite in the old tower was the water pressure - it was way too weak!
It wasn't that the old tower was bad per se, it was just that the Grand Tower was much better.

Would I pick Grand Tower over the PH at the same price? Definitely not.

The main reason is because at the Sheraton, the service is only up to the PH level at the Grand Tower. The moment you step out of the Grand Tower and head to one of Sheraton's restaurants or cafes, you are met with your typical (actually arguably weaker than typical) Sheraton level of service. Same goes for the pool and its service which is shared between the two towers... as well as the bellhops, the gym etc etc which are all shared between the two towers.

At the PH (where my friend stayed at the same time I was at the Sheraton), well, it's PH level of service all the way through from the entryway to the rooms. And so for the same price, I would pick the PH.

Wifey's Korean blog has photos for those interested:

Arrival, Old tower check-in, (shared) pool, gym:
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220272585664

Old Tower Exec Suite (including bathroom with very weak water pressure):
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220351897462

Grand Tower Exec Suite:
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220352767739

Main restaurant (Old Tower) Breakfast:
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220353143571

Old Tower Club Lounge:
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220353834577

Grand Tower Lounge:
http://blog.naver.com/dalgizoa/220354498590

Last edited by jaejaez; May 9, 2015 at 9:26 am
Old May 9, 2015, 8:45 am

I just had a stay here too. They gave me the same suite in the old tower which I had previously. And frankly I was very pleased with it. Having read so many negatives here and on the SPG website, I was beginning to wonder if my memory was wrong regarding the quality of the rooms.

Yet when I entered I was pleasantly surprised. Furnishings seemed to have been upkept very well. Yes old-fashioned but still in good shape with no scuff marks. Bathroom was on par with the ones in the SGS (refurbished suites). Water pressure was excellent especially the mid-level massage sprays - almost painful I might add. But then I wasn't on the 20+ floor like JJ... more like 10 floors down.

Again, I love the high ceilings. My group went over to the LeM to have a look-see - we were shown a standard room and while we were in agreement that those rooms were much more modern somehow we preferred the airiness of the Sheraton.

Ah well, I said as much previously. To each his own. I turned down the offer to upgrade to the Grand Tower, partly because I was planning to be out almost all the time, but also because I was satisfied.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:08 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
thanks for the reports !

lounge offerings look great ! booked a stay there....

LM has no lounge i guess ?
Old May 9, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by cln
LM has no lounge i guess ?
LM's lounge is not open... probably needs another month or so.

It's a bit small, but the view is great though...
Old May 9, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Ah well, I said as much previously. To each his own. I turned down the offer to upgrade to the Grand Tower, partly because I was planning to be out almost all the time, but also because I was satisfied.
Is the "offer to upgrade to the Grand Tower" still at US$75?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.