Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Branding/Name changed from Courtyard to Sheraton Kaua'i Coconut Beach Resort on 9 October 2019.

Property is Cat 6 as of 3/3/21.

Resort fee: USD$36.79 incl tax per accommodation, per night (effective 9 Oct 2019)
Hotel resort fee inclusions (may be listed elsewhere in this description as complimentary or available for a surcharge):

*Beach loungers
* Fitness/yoga classes
* Sporting facilities or equipment
* Business center/computer access
* Phone calls (limited)
* Self parking for one vehicle
* Welcome amenities: free appetizer of either wings, firecracker shrimp, or shishito peppers
* Sanitizing Station consisting of UV wands and gallons of hand sanitizer

Platinums and higher get 1000 arrival points -or- $20 per person daily breakfast menu credit (up to 2 guests) in restaurant. 15% "service charge" is added.
Buffet still closed (Jul 2021)

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Solid hotel

Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach

650 Aleka Loop Kapaa, HI US 96746

CY Marriott Kauai - Solid hotel (0 Photo)

Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach

The property is situated in what is known as the Coconut Grove district due to it's former glory as a Coconut plantation area.  There is 2 good open air mall area close to the hotel.  At these 2 malls, there are sufficient eateries and a supermarket and other shops.  There is a beach front of the hotel, however during my visit this time, it was during the trade winds period, so the sea was rather rough and you could constantly hear the wind blowing.

Check In

Arrived rather late, so I was helped immediately and within 5 mins I was off to my room.  As usual, there was a resort fees -which at least did not feel too ripped off as it covered additional items to what a normal Elite guest will receive at any Courtyard hotels.  

Room

The room was a corner room facing the beach and the pool.  Room was spacious and airy.  There is a microwave and fridge in the room with a coffee making facilities.  There is a small balcony, just big enough to sit 2-3 persons.  

As in humid weather, after my last visit 2 years ago to the property, it was clear that the room was getting a bit dated, but everything was sitll working fine.  Only more evidence of wear and tear was the exterior or surfaces exposed directly to the weather.  Other than that, good room temperature control and comfortable bed.  In fact during this windy period, it was actually nice to just leave the window open as it kept the room at a decent temperature.

Bathroom was ok in size with good water pressure and temperature.

Wifi signal was OK in the room, although there was a few occasions where it did get slow especially in the evenings.  

Amenities

You can grab the bicycles provided by the hotel (not too many of them, about 6-7 bikes) which is included in the resort fees.  It was good to use them to cycle to the malls in the are and if you want further afield to Kapaa town (not at night though).

The gym area was ok, with the usual equipments and the pool area was large.  It does get crowded especially in the weekends, but reduces significantly during the weekdays.

The hotel arranges lots of daily activities (all covered in the resort fees) including yoga sessions.  

Dining

The hotel has some good pupus hours and every day, they have different themes/promotions.  

With the resort fees, it covers one welcome drink, a Mai Tai.  Besides this, also tried the Pina Colada (during the Pupus hour) which was OK.  As expected, most of the cocktails here are pre-made.  

Overall

All in all, this property is still quite a solid property on the island.  Staff in general are friendly and helpful.  I would return to this property if I needed to be in the area, although at times the prices can be rather on the high side especially during the high season period.

CY Marriott Kauai - Solid hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just noticed in the Wiki that Plats get's free breakfast, in my case I was not offered anything (nor did I ask since I always assume until the new program kicks in, CY does not need to offer anything except the points).

I believe the resort fees is now 25 USD (if my memory does not fail me).

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Jun 26, 2018 at 2:19 pm Reason: Add info on Breakfast for Plat
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:00 pm

Can this property accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids in one room?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I have an upcoming reservation here and just noticed this on my reservation:

Please note – Hotel redesign in progress April-July 2019. Construction noise daily from 9am-5pm. Pool and select amenities will be temporarily closed with alternate options available.
Anyone have details on the alternate options? Very disappointed that this only showed up now—about two months out. Surely they knew about their construction plans a while back. Had I known when I was planning this trip I likely would've booked elsewhere. Now it may be too late to find a comparable option.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I have an upcoming reservation here and just noticed this on my reservation:

Anyone have details on the alternate options? Very disappointed that this only showed up now—about two months out. Surely they knew about their construction plans a while back. Had I known when I was planning this trip I likely would've booked elsewhere. Now it may be too late to find a comparable option.
Got the same email last week and thought it was pretty cheesy to send it two days before my seven day cancellation deadline. I kept the room as I prefer the location in Kapaa as opposed to Poipu/Lihue. Plus I was able to take advantage of a price drop on a garden view room of $60/nt savings (6 nights). I'll be there Thursday 5/2 and report back here. If the construction is too obnoxious there seems to be plenty of availability at other properties in case I decide to bail.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by BigJC
Got the same email last week and thought it was pretty cheesy to send it two days before my seven day cancellation deadline. I kept the room as I prefer the location in Kapaa as opposed to Poipu/Lihue. Plus I was able to take advantage of a price drop on a garden view room of $60/nt savings (6 nights). I'll be there Thursday 5/2 and report back here. If the construction is too obnoxious there seems to be plenty of availability at other properties in case I decide to bail.
I didn't even get an email. Just happened to log in to check on my reservation and noticed it.

I'm planning to call later today and find out what the alternate options are for pool/spa access. My stay isn't till late June so I'm not sure how reliable any info I get today will be.

I booked with points so no discount for me. OTOH, sounds like room renovations are all complete so one plus of staying here would be newly refreshed accommodations.
tjo4 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:08 am

I didn't even get an email. Just happened to log in to check on my reservation and noticed it.
Actually it wasn't a specific email regarding the renovations but just an honorable mention at the bottom of the "Plan for your upcoming stay" email they send out a week or so before your scheduled arrival. I booked it in mid-February and there was no mention of renovations at that time.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Just back from a six night stay. To summarize, the property grossly understates the reconstruction project that is currently underway. The entrance/front desk area is walled off and being demolished. There is a makeshift entry with a couple of check in desks, concierge desk and drink cooler set up. The entire courtyard/pool area and old restaurant are currently being demolished. This includes jackhammering all of the concrete out from the pool deck area. It appears the building nearest the ocean with the suites is under renovation also. Several large dumpsters are set up in the parking lot. From what I saw and the progress in the week I was there I would say July is an extremely optimistic timeline for completion. The courtyard area is fenced off from the beach with approx. 10 foot high construction type fence. Heavy equipment and trucks with 30 cubic foot roll-off dumpsters are in and out of there during the day - they drive around the north side of the property to access on the beach side. The one day we spent the entire day at the hotel (Saturday) it appeared work was suspended due to heavy rain. Other than that, the time we were in the room during the day we could hear the jackhammering from concrete removal and the various saws going in the old lobby area and we were allegedly in the "quiet building". A temporary bar and restaurant are set up in the old Paddle Room which itself is in desperate need of an overhaul. Every single review of the property for the last two weeks is a complaint about the construction and lack of communication regarding it. I booked in February and there was no mention of the project then. I was not aware of it until the "Plan for your upcoming stay" email they send out about week prior to check in.

That being said, we chose to stay much in part due to the nightly rate and preference to the Kapaa area. The brief time we spent at the hotel beach the noise was pretty obnoxious. As Platinum I was offered an ocean view room which I turned down due to not being available until day 2. They also waived the $20 "destination fee" and gave $20 food/beverage voucher for each day. The voucher can be used for alcohol only if food ordered on the same ticket. Use of the pool at the neighboring Kauai Coast Resort is offered to all guests with the requirement you must sign in at their front desk. We did not check it out but would venture that it is a bit more than the "4-5 minute walk" than the front desk stated at check in.

Book with caution!
Old May 12, 2019, 2:31 pm

Yikes.

I think I'm about 50/50 on keeping my reservation here for late June. Comparable hotels run about $1000/5 nights, so I'm getting 1cpp on my points here. During the day I'll be out exploring. Between the pool at the Kauai Coast Resort and a day pass to the Grand Hyatt pools I'm covered there. Plus, newly renovated rooms and it sounds like I'd have a decent shot at getting the resort fee waived as an elite. Good base to explore the east and north coasts. Cons, sounds like catching a nap during the day would be near impossible.

OTOH, I could burn another 140k points on the Westin in Princeville or just pay for a non-chain hotel. The Kauai Beach Resort in Wailua looks tempting at under $200 a night. Also some nice options on VRBO for similar rates, which also gives me a kitchen that could cut down my food costs a bit.

I'm planning five nights here or potentially switching to another hotel in the area or up in Princeville. After that I have 3 nights at a B&B on the south shore.

Frankly none of the other Marriott options seem like very good value. The Marriott in Lihue is $400 + 200k and the Sheraton is 320k for five nights.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: MR Plat Prem., WN Companion Pass
I just returned from seven nights at this property. My wife and I generally venture out during the day, so the lack of a pool was no issue. We were upgraded to a "Premium Oceanfront" room which was not affected by the construction in the lobby or the pool area. The F&B credit was a nice touch and the destination fee was waived as a Titanium. I would be cautious staying at this property as some folks were near the lobby and/or pool view--those rooms, although remodeled, would not be good until construction is wrapped up. Personally, I would book this property again today and will definitely once the conversion to Sheraton is complete.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:08 am

Checked in last night. I'm in a south-facing room away from the construction and haven't heard a peep.

The pool is still just a big hole in the dirt. I'm skeptical they'll hit their planned July completion date. The lobby looks close to finished though. The check-in desks were installed today.

The remodeled rooms are nice. I agree with others that the balconies are laughably small. I'm staying solo so it's fine but way too small for even two people.

If I had any plans to return to Kauai in the next year I'd be tempted to make a speculative award reservation now in the hopes it's honored after the reflagging.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:17 pm

Thinking about staying from July 9-16 in an ocean view room. Any updates?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Thinking about staying from July 9-16 in an ocean view room. Any updates?
I would do it. They opened up the new lobby two weeks ago. I doubt the pool will be ready by then though.

Call after you book and ask for a room facing away from the construction.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:40 pm

Guessing the Sheraton Poipu is a better redemption than here?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

The pool is still just a big hole in the dirt. I'm skeptical they'll hit their planned July completion date...
Your skepticism was warranted! We were considering a stay the first week of September. The hotel's website now says construction will be finished in August 2019, but I wanted to be sure, so I called the hotel. The answer to the question, "When will the pool be finished?" was immediately "End of September."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.