FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Question about 2022 status extension (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2060937-question-about-2022-status-extension.html)

getagb Dec 3, 2021 10:16 pm

Question about 2022 status extension

I saw Marriott is extending status into 2022. I have lifetime platinum, however I'm currently Titanium with 48 nights in 2021 (10 redeemed, 38 bonus).

My assumption is that when status is extended next year I will not get to choose 5 suite nights, and so I should do a cheap mattress run of 2 nights before end of year if I want them. Is this correct? Or do I get 5 suite nights each year as part of having lifetime platinum and/or the titanium extension?

escapefromphl Dec 3, 2021 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 33782259)
I saw Marriott is extending status into 2022. I have lifetime platinum, however I'm currently Titanium with 48 nights in 2021 (10 redeemed, 38 bonus).

My assumption is that when status is extended next year I will not get to choose 5 suite nights, and so I should do a cheap mattress run of 2 nights before end of year if I want them. Is this correct? Or do I get 5 suite nights each year as part of having lifetime platinum and/or the titanium extension?

Yeah your assumption is most likely correct. You could also get a credit card.

SPN Lifer Dec 4, 2021 3:36 am

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 33782259)

The Annual Choice Benefit is not granted for attaining Platinum and Titanium Elite status.

It is earned by achieving 50 and 75 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs).

Big difference.

So no, the Terms and Conditions are clear that one does not get 5 Suite Night Awards (SNA) merely for a status extension or credit-card-based status grant. One has to get the 50 or 75 EQNs.

Jayfaz Dec 6, 2021 4:10 pm

Is Marriott extending the bonus of 50% of the elite night credit to 2022 for holding status in 2021, like they did for 2021 after having status in 2020?

margarita girl Dec 6, 2021 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jayfaz (Post 33790572)
Is Marriott extending the bonus of 50% of the elite night credit to 2022 for holding status in 2021, like they did for 2021 after having status in 2020?

There have been no announcements yet.

Jayfaz Dec 6, 2021 4:25 pm

When did they announce this bonus last year, margarita girl

margarita girl Dec 6, 2021 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jayfaz (Post 33790630)
When did they announce this bonus last year, margarita girl

Announced on Jan 11/21, posted on Feb 1/21.

MSPeconomist Dec 6, 2021 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33782603)
The Annual Choice Benefit is not granted for attaining Platinum and Titanium Elite status.

It is earned by achieving 50 and 75 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs).

Big difference.

So no, the Terms and Conditions are clear that one does not get 5 Suite Night Awards (SNA) merely for a status extension or credit-card-based status grant. One has to get the 50 or 75 EQNs.

Does this also apply to people with lifetime (Titanium) status?

1mileman Dec 6, 2021 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 33790695)
Does this also apply to people with lifetime (Titanium) status?

no, it is BIB 50 nights or 75 nights.. lifetime status doesn't do anything except you keep that status..if you want the SNA you'd need to earn it even with your lifetime status..

SPN Lifer Dec 7, 2021 4:27 am

In other words, "Yes, the same rule applies."

According to the Terms and Conditions, the Annual Choice Benefit is awarded solely for the achievement or 50 or 75 nights, and not for one's status (annual or lifetime).

Yet how I wish one could still qualify for Lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status, even with increased qualification requirements. ​​​​​:cool:

dblue Dec 7, 2021 8:42 am

I'm a bit confused with I think a similar situation. I currently am stuck at 69 nights but I haven't used by 50 night annual choice.

Should I use the 5 night credit and mattress run for one more night to get the 75 and then take the SNA? It seems like all that would benefit me is banking a few extra nights toward lifetime platinum (I'm at 8 years but only 474 nights/600).

Are there pros and cons to either direction? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on myself next year?

craigthemif Dec 7, 2021 8:46 am

Originally Posted by dblue (Post 33792325)
I'm a bit confused with I think a similar situation. I currently am stuck at 69 nights but I haven't used by 50 night annual choice.

Should I use the 5 night credit and mattress run for one more night to get the 75 and then take the SNA? It seems like all that would benefit me is banking a few extra nights toward lifetime platinum (I'm at 8 years but only 474 nights/600).

Are there pros and cons to either direction? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on myself next year?

Yes. Mattress run the one night and use your 50-night gift for 5 elite nights.

I would personally take the free night certificate instead of SNAs, but YMMV...

If Marriott repeats the complimentary elite nights, then definitely receiving 37 as a Titanium would make 2022 quite easy for re-qualification. (but this is not guaranteed) As you may or may not know, there are no more soft landings...

dblue Dec 7, 2021 8:49 am

Yeah the complimentary elite nights seems like the big potential advantage. Thanks!