Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question about 2022 status extension

Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I saw Marriott is extending status into 2022. I have lifetime platinum, however I'm currently Titanium with 48 nights in 2021 (10 redeemed, 38 bonus).

My assumption is that when status is extended next year I will not get to choose 5 suite nights, and so I should do a cheap mattress run of 2 nights before end of year if I want them. Is this correct? Or do I get 5 suite nights each year as part of having lifetime platinum and/or the titanium extension?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by getagb
I saw Marriott is extending status into 2022. I have lifetime platinum, however I'm currently Titanium with 48 nights in 2021 (10 redeemed, 38 bonus).

My assumption is that when status is extended next year I will not get to choose 5 suite nights, and so I should do a cheap mattress run of 2 nights before end of year if I want them. Is this correct? Or do I get 5 suite nights each year as part of having lifetime platinum and/or the titanium extension?
Yeah your assumption is most likely correct. You could also get a credit card.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by getagb
The Annual Choice Benefit is not granted for attaining Platinum and Titanium Elite status.

It is earned by achieving 50 and 75 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs).

Big difference.

So no, the Terms and Conditions are clear that one does not get 5 Suite Night Awards (SNA) merely for a status extension or credit-card-based status grant. One has to get the 50 or 75 EQNs.
margarita girl and nexus7556 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:10 pm

Is Marriott extending the bonus of 50% of the elite night credit to 2022 for holding status in 2021, like they did for 2021 after having status in 2020?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jayfaz
Is Marriott extending the bonus of 50% of the elite night credit to 2022 for holding status in 2021, like they did for 2021 after having status in 2020?
There have been no announcements yet.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:25 pm

When did they announce this bonus last year, margarita girl

Last edited by Jayfaz; Dec 6, 2021 at 4:25 pm Reason: tag
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jayfaz
When did they announce this bonus last year, margarita girl
Announced on Jan 11/21, posted on Feb 1/21.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The Annual Choice Benefit is not granted for attaining Platinum and Titanium Elite status.

It is earned by achieving 50 and 75 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQNs).

Big difference.

So no, the Terms and Conditions are clear that one does not get 5 Suite Night Awards (SNA) merely for a status extension or credit-card-based status grant. One has to get the 50 or 75 EQNs.
Does this also apply to people with lifetime (Titanium) status?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this also apply to people with lifetime (Titanium) status?
no, it is BIB 50 nights or 75 nights.. lifetime status doesn't do anything except you keep that status..if you want the SNA you'd need to earn it even with your lifetime status..
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In other words, "Yes, the same rule applies."

According to the Terms and Conditions, the Annual Choice Benefit is awarded solely for the achievement or 50 or 75 nights, and not for one's status (annual or lifetime).

Yet how I wish one could still qualify for Lifetime Marriott Bonvy Titanium Elite status, even with increased qualification requirements. ​​​​​
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:42 am

I'm a bit confused with I think a similar situation. I currently am stuck at 69 nights but I haven't used by 50 night annual choice.

Should I use the 5 night credit and mattress run for one more night to get the 75 and then take the SNA? It seems like all that would benefit me is banking a few extra nights toward lifetime platinum (I'm at 8 years but only 474 nights/600).

Are there pros and cons to either direction? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on myself next year?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dblue
I'm a bit confused with I think a similar situation. I currently am stuck at 69 nights but I haven't used by 50 night annual choice.

Should I use the 5 night credit and mattress run for one more night to get the 75 and then take the SNA? It seems like all that would benefit me is banking a few extra nights toward lifetime platinum (I'm at 8 years but only 474 nights/600).

Are there pros and cons to either direction? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on myself next year?
Yes. Mattress run the one night and use your 50-night gift for 5 elite nights.

I would personally take the free night certificate instead of SNAs, but YMMV...

If Marriott repeats the complimentary elite nights, then definitely receiving 37 as a Titanium would make 2022 quite easy for re-qualification. (but this is not guaranteed) As you may or may not know, there are no more soft landings...
bosman likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:49 am

Yeah the complimentary elite nights seems like the big potential advantage. Thanks!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by dblue; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:56 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.