Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Earning Marriott Bonvoy points with Uber rides and Uber Eats [*US only*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : Earning Marriott Bonvoy points with Uber rides and Uber Eats [*US only*]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:49 am

FYI. uber/amex has silently updated the amex uber eats pass benefit on the US plat/gold/green and are now forcing people to use amex as a payment form to keep the benefits.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33178307-post73.html

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
i applaud your IT team to get the data sync functioning so quickly w/ uber. my test purchases today have already posted to my marriott account. i was expecting the standard 14 year waiting period like your double EQN promo.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 15, 2021 at 2:19 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Room service is not a profit center.
https://viewfromthewing.com/why-hote...-room-service/
And this promo is spot on to help their franchisees turn that around...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hotel room service is primarily for the subset of business travelers who submit all itemized receipts. Since the share of those travelers is quite low, I can see hotels preferring this promotion since it's a small potential nudge to a much wider audience.

And in reality, it's probably not going to cannibalize room service sales anyway. When I was that traveler, arriving late night at a hotel on a business trip, I'd just take the ease of ordering up a burger & a beer from the hotel over perusing various delivery apps and then facing a longer wait for delivery than with room service. Still getting 20+ Marriott points per dollar for that, so it's not like 6 pts/$ is going to pull me away.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by stimpy
Shame it is only for premium Uber. I'm Uber Diamond and could make a fair amount of points if it included Uber X. As it is however there's no point in linking my accounts.
But also, nothing to lose by linking, right? I still take the occasional UberXL, and order a fair amount of UberEats, also. This promo probably won't influence my behavior, but it's nice to get a few incidental points here and there.

Originally Posted by pinniped
And in reality, it's probably not going to cannibalize room service sales anyway. When I was that traveler, arriving late night at a hotel on a business trip, I'd just take the ease of ordering up a burger & a beer from the hotel over perusing various delivery apps and then facing a longer wait for delivery than with room service. Still getting 20+ Marriott points per dollar for that, so it's not like 6 pts/$ is going to pull me away.
This. In the before times, I'd use room service every so often - either on work trips where I just didn't feel like dealing with finding food, or on leisure trips if we wanted an easy/early breakfast while getting ready or something. I'm charging all that to my room so getting points and convenience. Or, if I was tired of the same burger/salad/whatever and still didn't want to go out, I'd use UberEats or Doordash. The menu/convenience factors are driving my choice, not points earnings.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:38 am

Completely useless promo, since UberX and only $25 (pre tax, tip, etc) UberEats count.

All things being equal, I still will take Lyft since Hilton and Delta points accumulate no matter the ride.
bosman and Pretzelsandpeanuts like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lockman21
Completely useless promo, since UberX and only $25 (pre tax, tip, etc) UberEats count.

All things being equal, I still will take Lyft since Hilton and Delta points accumulate no matter the ride.
Yea, almost everywhere I use an app-based ride service, Uber is my backup. In the US, I go with Lyft as my primary. I did that for years when I just didn't like Uber as a company. Now I realize they're kind of interchangeable - neither one is exactly a beacon of good - but it seems like drivers who drive for both prefer Lyft. So if they seem to like it better, I try to use it first and only go to Uber if I can't get a Lyft.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:15 pm

For non-US residents you can also not earn points when you are using Uber/Eats in den US as it requires US phone number...that's bad. At least points while in the US would be something as for international "Bonvoyers" the opportunities of collecting are limited in comparison to US.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
FYI. uber/amex has silently updated the amex uber eats pass benefit on the US plat/gold/green and are now forcing people to use amex as a payment form to keep the benefits.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33178307-post73.html

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
i applaud your IT team to get the data sync functioning so quickly w/ uber. my test purchases today have already posted to my marriott account. i was expecting the standard 14 year waiting period like your double EQN promo.
I opted to pay with my AmEx Bonvoy Business earlier but even that doesn't get Eats Pass benefits anymore so no crazy stacking there. Guess I'll just have to use my Gold moving forward.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by CaptJOB
I opted to pay with my AmEx Bonvoy Business earlier but even that doesn't get Eats Pass benefits anymore so no crazy stacking there. Guess I'll just have to use my Gold moving forward.
yea. exactly. amex gold is the only one making sense for UEP benefits. or green. for those who only have plat, the benefit totally sucks at 1x.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:51 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Or 20% off Uber GC from time to time. Load up the boat when you can.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This is also a great way for someone like me who doesn't stay at Marriott much to keep points from expiring
Once you can get to Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Silver Elite (250 nights, 5 years Silver Elite or above), you won't have to worry about that anymore. 🙂
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Did an Uber Eats order (4/15) and noticed points posted already a few hours later.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by lockman21

Exactly my thoughts!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by bosman
Exactly my thoughts!
The 2000 bonus points for doing one $25 takeout pickup is an easy win, will likely do this for everyone in the household. The amount of Marriott points for regular ongoing Uber use wont affect my patterns but will likely contribute a couple hundred points per year.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Or 20% off Uber GC from time to time. Load up the boat when you can.
wow, that's rare. I stocked up on 15% and thought that one was spectacular. Please PM me on where you get 20!

Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Did an Uber Eats order (4/15) and noticed points posted already a few hours later.
Same here! $31 today over lunch. Checked right now and 63 points were credited!
Let's see, if the bonus credits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.