FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Urgh, Chinese property charged card under another property, no hotel bonus points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2035955-urgh-chinese-property-charged-card-under-another-property-no-hotel-bonus-points.html)

Cathay Dragon 666 Mar 15, 2021 12:39 pm

Urgh, Chinese property charged card under another property, no hotel bonus points

Stayed at a Marriott property in China that apparently has two properties running side-by-side by the same owner. Have been staying there forever and never had a problem. But this time, the front desk agent apparently took the wrong credit card machine (they have to run to the back room to get a dedicated machine for foreign cards) and swiped my Bonvoy card with another property's machine. It shows up on my credit bill as "JIUDIAN" (Chinese transliteration for hotel), and thus AMEX will only offer 2x points on the charge. Urgh.........

SPN Lifer Mar 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Did they give you a receipt?

CIT85 Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Get the hotel to refund original charge and then process the charge to the correct hotel?

cfischer Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 (Post 33102384)
It shows up on my credit bill as "JIUDIAN" (Chinese transliteration for hotel), and thus AMEX will only offer 2x points on the charge. Urgh.........

they will or they have? Often an initial posting will correct itself when it finally posts.

pmarrsouth Mar 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Seems like a no-brainer fix for the hotel. Either they rectify the situation to your liking or you notify Amex that you are being charged for a service (hotel stay) which you did not do

Cathay Dragon 666 Mar 15, 2021 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 33102526)
Get the hotel to refund original charge and then process the charge to the correct hotel?

Yes, that's the solution, but I don't trust giving my credit card info over the phone in China, and the place is very far away....

Cathay Dragon 666 Mar 15, 2021 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33102484)
Did they give you a receipt?

I've asked for an email receipt, so far non-arrival....

Cathay Dragon 666 Mar 15, 2021 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 33103055)
they will or they have? Often an initial posting will correct itself when it finally posts.

It's posted as 2X on AMEX and a call to AMEX say I would need to notify the hotel to rectify the situation, the hotel wanted me to give credit card info over the phone, which I don't feel comfortable doing in China...

SPN Lifer Mar 16, 2021 10:14 am

You need to provide that info somehow, and telephone is probably safer than e-mail.

Having been twice victimized by credit card fraud myself, it is not that hard to get the issuer to cancel a card and reissue with a new number.

It helps to review one's pending charges frequently.

Jimgotkp Mar 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 (Post 33103517)
It's posted as 2X on AMEX and a call to AMEX say I would need to notify the hotel to rectify the situation, the hotel wanted me to give credit card info over the phone, which I don't feel comfortable doing in China...

Did they offer to email you a CC Authorization Form? I did this a few times for other reasons and the hotels sent the forms to me via Sertifi which was convenient.

travelinmanS Mar 17, 2021 8:50 am

I’m now just using Alipay in China for all my hotel stays. Saves a lot of hassle and time at the front desk and checkout and the front desks aren’t used to dealing with cards anymore, especially since they locked most foreigners out a year ago.

I know it’s sacrilegious to say on here but I’m willing to trade earning some credit card points for much less hassle.

Cathay Dragon 666 Mar 21, 2021 11:41 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 33106924)
I’m now just using Alipay in China for all my hotel stays. Saves a lot of hassle and time at the front desk and checkout and the front desks aren’t used to dealing with cards anymore, especially since they locked most foreigners out a year ago.

I know it’s sacrilegious to say on here but I’m willing to trade earning some credit card points for much less hassle.

It's not "some" credit card points. I stay over 100 nights out of the year and I usually dine in at the hotel restaurants for the duration of the stay, both are major points accumulators.