Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Urgh, Chinese property charged card under another property, no hotel bonus points

Urgh, Chinese property charged card under another property, no hotel bonus points

Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

Stayed at a Marriott property in China that apparently has two properties running side-by-side by the same owner. Have been staying there forever and never had a problem. But this time, the front desk agent apparently took the wrong credit card machine (they have to run to the back room to get a dedicated machine for foreign cards) and swiped my Bonvoy card with another property's machine. It shows up on my credit bill as "JIUDIAN" (Chinese transliteration for hotel), and thus AMEX will only offer 2x points on the charge. Urgh.........
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Did they give you a receipt?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Get the hotel to refund original charge and then process the charge to the correct hotel?
SPN Lifer and littlevoices like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
It shows up on my credit bill as "JIUDIAN" (Chinese transliteration for hotel), and thus AMEX will only offer 2x points on the charge. Urgh.........
they will or they have? Often an initial posting will correct itself when it finally posts.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Seems like a no-brainer fix for the hotel. Either they rectify the situation to your liking or you notify Amex that you are being charged for a service (hotel stay) which you did not do
bbbb, SPN Lifer, Sohan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
Get the hotel to refund original charge and then process the charge to the correct hotel?
Yes, that's the solution, but I don't trust giving my credit card info over the phone in China, and the place is very far away....
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Did they give you a receipt?
I've asked for an email receipt, so far non-arrival....
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
they will or they have? Often an initial posting will correct itself when it finally posts.
It's posted as 2X on AMEX and a call to AMEX say I would need to notify the hotel to rectify the situation, the hotel wanted me to give credit card info over the phone, which I don't feel comfortable doing in China...
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
You need to provide that info somehow, and telephone is probably safer than e-mail.

Having been twice victimized by credit card fraud myself, it is not that hard to get the issuer to cancel a card and reissue with a new number.

It helps to review one's pending charges frequently.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
It's posted as 2X on AMEX and a call to AMEX say I would need to notify the hotel to rectify the situation, the hotel wanted me to give credit card info over the phone, which I don't feel comfortable doing in China...
Did they offer to email you a CC Authorization Form? I did this a few times for other reasons and the hotels sent the forms to me via Sertifi which was convenient.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im now just using Alipay in China for all my hotel stays. Saves a lot of hassle and time at the front desk and checkout and the front desks arent used to dealing with cards anymore, especially since they locked most foreigners out a year ago.

I know its sacrilegious to say on here but Im willing to trade earning some credit card points for much less hassle.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Im now just using Alipay in China for all my hotel stays. Saves a lot of hassle and time at the front desk and checkout and the front desks arent used to dealing with cards anymore, especially since they locked most foreigners out a year ago.

I know its sacrilegious to say on here but Im willing to trade earning some credit card points for much less hassle.
It's not "some" credit card points. I stay over 100 nights out of the year and I usually dine in at the hotel restaurants for the duration of the stay, both are major points accumulators.
SPN Lifer and reggiekush like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.