Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Conflicting/Confusing Cancellation Policy (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conflicting/Confusing Cancellation Policy (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: American, Marriott, Hyatt
They had given a temp credit when I first opened the dispute. The credit is now on my statement and the dispute center has it marked closed and says "As a result of our investigation, we have credited your account. This adjustment can be found on an upcoming statement." I believe the difference with mine and some of the others is this was a refundable deposit. Continue to be shocked I had to go through all this just to get my refundable deposit back. Apparently these Marriott hotels are owned by Ledra Hotels in Greece...I would be very careful booking with them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SoCal Travel
They had given a temp credit when I first opened the dispute. The credit is now on my statement and the dispute center has it marked closed and says "As a result of our investigation, we have credited your account. This adjustment can be found on an upcoming statement." I believe the difference with mine and some of the others is this was a refundable deposit. Continue to be shocked I had to go through all this just to get my refundable deposit back. Apparently these Marriott hotels are owned by Ledra Hotels in Greece...I would be very careful booking with them.
Good result.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
Six weeks later and no refund. I have opened a dispute with Amex and they will temporarily credit my account pending contact with the hotel.
The hotel suddenly realized that there was a problem with the original attempt to refund and they are trying again. Of course neither the alleged temporary Amex nor the refund show on the Amex app. Fantastic!
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Ugh I am having a similar issue to some outlined here. Booked the Library Koh Samui late last summer using Citi Prestige 4th Night Free before they restricted that feature (have to book through OTA now - no elite benefits, capped, etc.) for a stay in 3 weeks. Saw the Marriott statement regarding Covid (obviously I am cancelling my trip) and of course in the fine print Design Hotels (which this is) are excluded. I have emailed the hotel who says they will "postpone" but now have gone dark on me. As this was not a cheap booking I really would like to be made whole here.

Any advice? I think best option may be to call Titanium desk and seek their help since hotel has gone dark. It may be too late to dispute charge on my Citi card since it was booked ~10 months ago
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by mccorry
I am struggling with this too. I am torn over making a non-refundable pre-paid reservation over Christmas in a Ritz Carlton in Asia for a quite amazing deal, but I'm concerned about what might happen if I cannot travel.

The relevant cancellation policy, as you noted, is:

For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and June 30, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.

I had interpreted this to mean that as long as I made the reservation by June 30, it would be cancellable up to 24 hours before, even if the stay itself was in December, say. I think this is the same as your interpretation. However, I think it *is* equally valid to interpret this as the phone rep has done to you, that even for a new reservation made for, say, December, the 'today to June 30' window refers to the latter clause in the sentence (change or cancel) rather than the former clause in the sentence (when you make the new reservation).

I think they could have been much clearer in this, to be honest. It would not have been that hard.
Glad I found this thread. I think we are looking at the same Ritz in Asia that has really good prepaid rates. Willing to pay it if I can still cancel up to a day of actual date due to Covid but if the terms is that i have to cancel by June 2020... it's a no go..
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:13 pm

Six weeks later and no refund. I have opened a dispute with Amex and they will temporarily credit my account pending contact with the hotel.
Things have gotten even weirder. After opening a dispute with Amex, I got an email from the hotel de berri claiming they needed my cc number to credit the refund (there had allegedly been a problem getting the money to me which they apparently forgot about until the dispute was opened). I give the cc number and nothing happens. Then all of a sudden a preauthorization charge from the hotel appears on my Amex for almost $10,000 (ten thousand dollars!). I get on the phone with Amex and they tell me, well it's just a preauthorization and so doesn't really turn into anything until it turns into a charge, but they will "watch" it. I email the hotel and they ask for my phone number. A few hours later I get a call saying that they have initiated the refund (with their bank) but to refund the money they had to open a new entry into their system, and that I should not worry about the preauthorization and all would be cleared up soon. So I am still waiting for a refund and not quite certain whether there is something really strange going on or whether the hotel is run by a bunch of incompetents.

Timeline: request to cancel (and approval) April 23
Apology for the delay: June 7
8700 Euro pre-authorization June 17
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:00 pm

Things have gotten even weirder. After opening a dispute with Amex, I got an email from the hotel de berri claiming they needed my cc number to credit the refund (there had allegedly been a problem getting the money to me which they apparently forgot about until the dispute was opened). I give the cc number and nothing happens. Then all of a sudden a preauthorization charge from the hotel appears on my Amex for almost $10,000 (ten thousand dollars!). I get on the phone with Amex and they tell me, well it's just a preauthorization and so doesn't really turn into anything until it turns into a charge, but they will "watch" it. I email the hotel and they ask for my phone number. A few hours later I get a call saying that they have initiated the refund (with their bank) but to refund the money they had to open a new entry into their system, and that I should not worry about the preauthorization and all would be cleared up soon. So I am still waiting for a refund and not quite certain whether there is something really strange going on or whether the hotel is run by a bunch of incompetents.

Timeline: request to cancel (and approval) April 23
Apology for the delay: June 7
8700 Euro pre-authorization June 17
Finally things worked out here and my refund arrived in my Amex account. Thanks to the folks at Hotel de Berri but this was an odd way to get a refund.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I was just told by the phone rep that, if I make a prepaid/nonrefundable booking right now for, say, Nov 30th, then I have to cancel by June 30th in order to avoid cancellation penalty.
I was actually under the impression that I'd have until Nov 29th to cancel without penalty.
She told me that, after June 30th, all the normal prepaid booking conditions are restored and are applied to even the ones I make in May/June.

Was this rep correct or incorrect?
Hyatt has very similar language for their policy and the Hyatt rep confirmed that I would have until 24hrs prior to arrival to cancel a nonrefundable booking if made by June 30th.
And, reading Marriott's rule over and over, I'm just unable to interpret it the same way that the rep is.
I got an email confirmation from Marriott customer service that the Marriott phone rep above was incorrect and that I am indeed able to cancel such booking up until 24hs prior to arrival.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone any recent experiences of dealing with Marriott hotels and cancelling non-refundable bookings? I have a prepaid/non-refundable booking made some time ago with the RC in Bali. Bali has announced that they are to remain closed to international visitors until the end of the year--now my booking is very close to the end of the year so I'm inclined to let it ride for the moment.

However, I reached out to the hotel to see if they had any clarity on dates and they indicated that if Bali is closed when I'm due to stay they would allow me to rebook for up to 6 months. Obviously, I would contest that offer and request a full refund based on my understanding of the policy. I was surprised that an RC would respond as such.

Just curious to hear what the current lie of the land is from Marriott from anyone else...
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:00 pm

Well, a negative change of events for my issue with Domes of Elounda. AMEX had sent me an email saying they had positively resolved my dispute...then reversed their decision 30 days later. I re-disputed and it they once again turned me down citing Greek Law.

I guess I am mostly disappointed in Marriott how they never stepped up during this whole fiasco. They have the energy to go beg the financial markets and congress for money, but then won't step up and help an elite customer get a refund (keep in mind, my reservation was fully cancellable and refundable). So now I have given this hotel chain an 18 month interest free loan...and who know if I ever see it again. Just know that booking direct with Marriott does not mean Marriott will stand behind you. You are booking with some unknown hotel company. Probably not an issue in the US, but be aware overseas...they will not stand behind you. They are really not much more than a poor mans Kayak.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for getting me to book direct in the future. From now on I will only book with AMEX or an OTA from which I got refunds on every reservation I had. No reason for me to carry a Bonvoy card either. I'll probably stay at a Marriott again since they are so big I will have to, but it certainly won't be my top choice.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Outrageous treatment by AmEx!
Well, a negative change of events for my issue with Domes of Elounda. AMEX had sent me an email saying they had positively resolved my dispute...then reversed their decision 30 days later. I re-disputed and it they once again turned me down citing Greek Law.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for getting me to book direct in the future. From now on I will only book with AMEX or an OTA from which I got refunds on every reservation I had. No reason for me to carry a Bonvoy card either. I'll probably stay at a Marriott again since they are so big I will have to, but it certainly won't be my top choice.
The way AmEx treated you, I would never use them again!

"Greek law." What about domestic U.S. law?

If it were me, I would stop using AmEx, transfer any remaining reward points from that account, and refuse to pay AmEx the amount withheld by the Domes of Elounda for services not provided. And if AmEx reported a charge-off on my credit report, I would dispute it with all three reporting agencies.

AmEx seem at least as much to blame here for this gross violation of consumer rights.

Good riddance AmEx!
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:30 am

I should clarify...while AMEX did not support me on the credit card side...very disappointing and I do plan on canceling my card, they were good on the travel side. We booked 9 hotels on our trip, all cancellable and refundable. 3 in Italy, 6 in Greece. We had deposits at 6 of the 9 hotels. 5 of the 6 returned our deposits promptly, including four that we had booked through AMEX travel. They were very helpful in obtaining all refunds. I had three reservations with Marriott in Greece, the Domes of Elounda was the only one to withhold the deposit.

The major piece is that I am in the right. Cancellable and refundable deposit being held by the hotel despite cancelling within the specified time frame. Booked by US citizen with US company on a US website with a US credit card...being held up by Greek Law...it's just wrong.

Overall a pretty lousy experience. I just can't get over what a lousy decision even if I was in the wrong (I'm not) it was for Marriott. Piss off an elite customer who stays 15-20 nights a year and spends 40k on the credit card in normal times. Was the 18 months of interest on my $5,300 worth it? My guess is I'll cut stays to 3-5 nights (can't completely avoid them) and cancel my card. Seems dumb. Their CEO is too busy begging for money from Wall St and congress to run his business I guess.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:53 am
Suspended

The major piece is that I am in the right. Cancellable and refundable deposit being held by the hotel despite cancelling within the specified time frame. Booked by US citizen with US company on a US website with a US credit card...being held up by Greek Law...it's just wrong.
I'm not trying to rub it in, but I think you'll find that, ultimately, your contract was with a Greek hotel and a contract that was subject to the local laws. I've tried to replicate a booking to check, but I can't. I do agree it sucks, though.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not trying to rub it in, but I think you'll find that, ultimately, your contract was with a Greek hotel and a contract that was subject to the local laws. I've tried to replicate a booking to check, but I can't. I do agree it sucks, though.
The credit card T&Cs trump that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:02 am
Suspended

IANAL but I'm not sure how credit card T&Cs override a national law. If Amex's policies are to refund you whatever the case, then that's one thing, but Amex can't force a counterparty to break a law.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.