FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2000878-has-anyone-ever-received-suite-upgrade-marriott.html)

emma dog Dec 16, 2019 1:50 am

My stays this year we’re entirely in US and Canada, and almost exclusively at full service hotels. The only suite I received was “purchased” using a SNA.

arlflyer Dec 23, 2019 6:13 am

At first pass this would seem like one of those overly dramatic / uninformed thread titles meant to stir the pot. But then I blink my eyes and am like, wait, this is Marriott in 2019, totally valid question. And the answer on my end is no, I haven't in the last 9+ months. I've had SNAs turned down after being confirmed (email received and room type changed on website / app). I've had properties with multiple open suite types for my whole stay tell me that there are no "upgrade rooms available". And I have a cash stay at an RC coming up this week which I am VERY tempted to flip to a Waldorf Astoria property because my room has been "upgraded" to something with a "view" (this is in a city mind you), despite suites being open, and of course since it's Marriott the way to reward people who spend 100+ nights and $20k+ is to not give them breakfast or lounge access at your most aspirational properties (What's the opposite of a halo effect? A pitchfork effect maybe?).

2020 is looking to me as the year of "Hilton Strikes Back" - perhaps even double up with Hyatt - and I'm looking forward to the call from my Ambassador or maybe even Corporate about why I'm "not staying with Marriott as often"...though by the time they get to me they'll probably already know the answer from having heard it from thousands of others in the same boat.

*Paging Mr. Rubin to come flying in talking about how he's currently at the top level of the St. Regis Wherever bathing in his private pool full of Dom and ice cubes that he gets every week...but oh wait, he can't :D*

flyme2 Dec 23, 2019 7:59 am

Seventeen suite upgrades this calendar year thus far, two from SNA's. Regions were North America, Central America, Europe, MEA, China and SEA.

kaizen7 Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31868685)
I've had properties with multiple open suite types for my whole stay tell me that there are no "upgrade rooms available". And I have a cash stay at an RC coming up this week which I am VERY tempted to flip to a Waldorf Astoria property because my room has been "upgraded" to something with a "view" (this is in a city mind you), despite suites being open,

Sadly this seems to become more and more common even in Asian market who supposedly treat elites better.

Some hotels prefer to keep those suites empty and hoping someone will book the suite on 2nd or 3rd or 4th day of a member stay.

Currently I stay at Raffles Singapore. No upgrade for the stay but I will not complain as the hotel fully booked and there are no availability at their own website.

Yet stay at some Bonvoy hotel in the same city, no upgrade/1 cat upgrade only even when other type of eligible suites shown as available.

escapefromphl Dec 23, 2019 8:50 am

No suite upgrades for this Titanium in '19, tried unsuccessfully several times to use SNA's before burning them on an ocean view room in Hawaii.

BarryL Dec 23, 2019 8:53 am

Marriott and upgrades.. HAHA, that's funny. As LT Titanium it's a rarity. I usually have to beg at full service hotels for an upgrade regardless of stay type (paid/points) or length.

mctaste Dec 23, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31868685)
At first pass this would seem like one of those overly dramatic / uninformed thread titles meant to stir the pot. But then I blink my eyes and am like, wait, this is Marriott in 2019, totally valid question. And the answer on my end is no, I haven't in the last 9+ months. I've had SNAs turned down after being confirmed (email received and room type changed on website / app). I've had properties with multiple open suite types for my whole stay tell me that there are no "upgrade rooms available". And I have a cash stay at an RC coming up this week which I am VERY tempted to flip to a Waldorf Astoria property because my room has been "upgraded" to something with a "view" (this is in a city mind you), despite suites being open, and of course since it's Marriott the way to reward people who spend 100+ nights and $20k+ is to not give them breakfast or lounge access at your most aspirational properties (What's the opposite of a halo effect? A pitchfork effect maybe?).

2020 is looking to me as the year of "Hilton Strikes Back" - perhaps even double up with Hyatt - and I'm looking forward to the call from my Ambassador or maybe even Corporate about why I'm "not staying with Marriott as often"...though by the time they get to me they'll probably already know the answer from having heard it from thousands of others in the same boat.

*Paging Mr. Rubin to come flying in talking about how he's currently at the top level of the St. Regis Wherever bathing in his private pool full of Dom and ice cubes that he gets every week...but oh wait, he can't :D*

It is strange logic to me that spending $20k in a year somehow entitles you to a free $1k/night (or more) suite at RC.

kaizen7 Dec 23, 2019 11:17 am

perhaps Bonvoy want to change their T&C and remove the terms : upgrade to the best available room including select suites?

Or the said RC are more than welcome to deflag themself and becoming independent. With that, they will never have issue with overentitled Bonvoy elites demanding upgrades and even late checkout.

escapefromphl Dec 23, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mctaste (Post 31869728)
It is strange logic to me that spending $20k in a year somehow entitles you to a free $1k/night (or more) suite at RC.

Why, thats supposedly the deal with the frequent stay programs, if they don’t sell it or don’t predict to they give it to the customers who spend the most money with them. The airlines work in the same way... It’s not an entitlement it’s a benefit.

cre95 Dec 23, 2019 11:37 am

And if we discount all the "upgrades" to better view and/or enhanced rooms, my experience has been zilch.

At some of the hotels I frequent, the rooms are:
Deluxe, Premier, Superior, etc. before you even get to the suites
or
Traditional, Deluxe, Premium, Grand Deluxe, Deluxe Corner, Premium Corner, Grand Deluxe Corner, etc. before you then start seeing suites

You can see how it plays out... I see you are a Plat/Titanum/whatever with us and see you are visiting us again, we upgraded you to a Deluxe or Deluxe Corner room or some other non-Traditional labeled room.
It's even more comical when that's what you actually booked. Typically the assumption is that you booked a Traditional room so as long as they give you something different, it's an upgrade by default.

brianinok Dec 23, 2019 11:37 am

I've had a few this year, but I mostly just book suites when I want one. And on no SNAs (though I am hoping my SNAs get approved at JW San Antonio Hill Country later this week). I've gotten suites after booking basic rooms the last few months at the Renaissance OKC and the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch. I also got a spectacular upgraded room (because of the view and patio) at the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay after booking on points.

cre95 Dec 23, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 31869750)
Why, thats supposedly the deal with the frequent stay programs, if they don’t sell it or don’t predict to they give it to the customers who spend the most money with them. The airlines work in the same way... It’s not an entitlement it’s a benefit.

I know the argument that you got to the Platinum or Titanium by staying xx nights at cheap properties and then want to get to the suite at their highest brands doesn't quite align.

My lack of upgrade experiences in the new world, however, is based on staying at the same properties on mostly 1-night or 2-night stays. Even when seeing plenty of suite availability upon check-in, all I tend to see is being "upgraded" to better view or different label on the same non-suite rooms. From my perspective, it's just the way they run the program. To be fair, I don't ask for the suite upgrade at check-in since I'm typically traveling for business and not spending much time in the rooms.

fdem Dec 23, 2019 11:54 am

As a lowly LT Platinum have been pleasantly surprised. During a recent trip to SE Asia during Chinese New Year, got upgrades at all properties on paid stays, eg Sheraton grand Sukhumvit executive suite, le meridien Putrajaya ambassador suite, JW Khao lad duplex suite ( did have to ask and received after 2 days). Meridien Marrakech upgraded to suite but again did need to ask. I think in the old days when upgrades were automatic are over but find if asking politely usually does the trick

CIT85 Dec 23, 2019 11:55 am

4 suite upgrades in 2019, SGS Bangkok and Renaissance Phuket while on vacation with family, and Junior Suites at JW Marriott Tomorrow Square Shanghai on business. No suites in the US and Europe.

arlflyer Dec 23, 2019 12:04 pm

It's strange logic to me that MR properties want to potentially lose a customer with CLV in the hundreds of thousands USD in order to let unused inventory with no marginal cost lie vacant, but to each his own.

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 31869744)
perhaps Bonvoy want to change their T&C and remove the terms : upgrade to the best available room including select suites?...Or the said RC are more than welcome to deflag themself and becoming independent. With that, they will never have issue with overentitled Bonvoy elites demanding upgrades and even late checkout.

Kaizen nailed it. Marriott sets the rules, I just play by them. I'm happy to play by whatever set of rules they wish - just make it transparent and I'll make my business decisions according to the data. If they say "no suites", then that's entirely within their rights, and I'll roll that into my calculus. But a good business doesn't go to market by touting benefits and not delivering on them. The phrase is "under-promise and over-deliver", not the other way around.