FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2000878-has-anyone-ever-received-suite-upgrade-marriott.html)

jnojr Dec 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott?

I just hit Titanium w/ 78 nights last year. Not once did I ever receive any kind of room upgrade. I'm wondering if that'll change with Titanium, or if it'll be like status with American... you just never get to the front of the bus. I just passed over to Executive Platinum, and my last flight I was #18 on the upgrade list.

stallion114 Dec 15, 2019 4:00 pm

It doesn’t get better

spainlover Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm

I’ve gotten one many times. Odds definitely depend on location, hotel chain, how many suites they have. But since being Platinum or Titanium, would say I get 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

paolo64 Dec 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by spainlover (Post 31843252)
I’ve gotten one many times. Odds definitely depend on location, hotel chain, how many suites they have. But since being Platinum or Titanium, would say I get 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

...and duration of stay....more likely for a 1 night stay than an extended one...

Diplomatico Dec 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, I have. Many times.....probably a dozen suite upgrades in 2019.

UA-NYC Dec 15, 2019 4:21 pm

More detail is needed - if you have a lot of limited service stays, those hotels are very suite/jr. suite lite. Legacy Starwood properties also tend to have more suites than their Marriott counterparts, so that would also be a good data point. Finally, upgrades are best in Asia, and then drop down from there, arguably better still in Europe than the US.

swingaling Dec 15, 2019 6:56 pm

I got a suite upgrade from Manila Marriott last year and I don’t have any status with Marriott. Admittedly, I only got upgraded for operational reasons (the hotel was very full and I checked in at 8PM).

get0ffdanutzz Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Ha- I was thinking the same thing- Stay a bit over 50 nights per year, and not once was upgraded.. Usually dont care since I travel for business, I am rarely in the room.. But a few times when I travelled to Asia on vacation, I was hoping to finally get one- But nada. Oh well- I don't expect it- No expectations, life is better that way.

GateGuardian Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm

I've gotten once only because my original room wasn't ready when I arrived at the Marriott Waikiki. She had to get manager approval, but it was a very nice suite.

margarita girl Dec 15, 2019 7:58 pm

I’m amazed that OP has missed this thread with 475 posts since Feb 2019. :confused:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...2019-a-32.html

I guess the answer to the question is a few people here and there have received suite upgrades.

SacTownGuy Dec 15, 2019 8:19 pm

VERY rare.

carlitos Dec 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Where do I start. Just for my last five stays (as a Marriott Platinum):

- Marriott Phuket Nay Yang Beach: Upgraded to an amazing one bedroom suite with 1 and a half bathrooms plus tube and swimming pool access (Got the cheapest room on a prepaid rate at marriott.com) and my SNA were denied one week before.
- Courtyard Hong Kong: Upgraded to a corner suite after booking the cheapest prepaid rate.
- Sheraton Boston: Upgraded to a 1 bedroom Corner Suite for work with a corporate rate
- Ranaissance Wien Hotel: Upgraded to a super modern Jr Suite and love the hotel.
- Four Points by Sheraton Danang Vietnam: Upgraded to a corner suite on a top floor ocean front

And those are just my last 5 stays. Before that, got a nice room at Marriott Marquis Chicago (no upgrade) and also a nice room at Washington Marriott Marquis, but no upgrade either. Also, no upgrade at the JW Marriott Panama, but room was nice and big.

cmd320 Dec 15, 2019 8:54 pm

I stayed at the Boston Marriott at Copley Place every year for 4 years in October (2014-2017) and received a suite upgrade every time as a Gold (pre-merger Marriott). I've also received a suite upgrade at a few other random properties ACs, standard Marriotts, etc. As a platinum, I cannot recall more than once or twice receiving a suite upgrade other than the times I've used SNAs.

esquiar Dec 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Ended up having better luck on leisure stays than work stays.

Got unforgettable full suite upgrades at JW Hanoi and Le Meridien Chiang Mai. Four-night stays. Traveling shoulder season, right after end of rains. Staying on points at JW.

Had excellent corner junior suite upgrade at Aloft El Paso and HiLo Portland on weekend stays.

All as Plat after the merger. In my opinion, upgrades should be about surprise and delight more than entitled reward for elite nights... the point of Bonvoy is ubiquity, consistency, and earn-and-burn, not so much elite benefits. Of course, it’s sleazy for Marriott to offer SNAs without providing properties enough compensation for them to work

junglematt Dec 16, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 31843800)
Where do I start. Just for my last five stays (as a Marriott Platinum):

- Marriott Phuket Nay Yang Beach: Upgraded to an amazing one bedroom suite with 1 and a half bathrooms plus tube and swimming pool access (Got the cheapest room on a prepaid rate at marriott.com) and my SNA were denied one week before.
- Courtyard Hong Kong: Upgraded to a corner suite after booking the cheapest prepaid rate.
- Sheraton Boston: Upgraded to a 1 bedroom Corner Suite for work with a corporate rate
- Ranaissance Wien Hotel: Upgraded to a super modern Jr Suite and love the hotel.
- Four Points by Sheraton Danang Vietnam: Upgraded to a corner suite on a top floor ocean front

And those are just my last 5 stays. Before that, got a nice room at Marriott Marquis Chicago (no upgrade) and also a nice room at Washington Marriott Marquis, but no upgrade either. Also, no upgrade at the JW Marriott Panama, but room was nice and big.

My stay at the Marriott Nai Yang was exactly the same. SNAs denied for my 7-night stay, then they upgraded me to a villa with a pool. Win-win!

I have had my best luck with upgrades in Asia and Eastern Europe