FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Human (Carlson Wagonlit) Travel Agent Bookings and Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1984657-human-carlson-wagonlit-travel-agent-bookings-points.html)

ricktoronto Aug 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Human (Carlson Wagonlit) Travel Agent Bookings and Points

It seems from trying to plow through other threads that online travel agents are a pox on Bonvoy as far as points and nights go.

I use a human TA at Carlson and I'm not sure if this penalty extends to them as well. My experience at their Residence Inns worked OK as does Radisson.

Are human agencies now on the same bad list as OTAs?

EuropeanPete Aug 26, 2019 11:05 pm

You should be fine provided you book an eligible rate (I don't know if they sometimes offer rates via OTA's nowadays?)... We're all waiting for clarification from the lurker team on another thread who seemed to announce that all third parties were now verboten, but the assumption is that was probably a "mis speak".

Kacee Aug 27, 2019 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31460591)
Are human agencies now on the same bad list as OTAs?

It's going to depend on the rate that's booked. If they book a discounted or consolidator rate for you, it's not going to qualify. If they book a retail rate, it should.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 31460609)
We're all waiting for clarification from the lurker team on another thread who seemed to announce that all third parties were now verboten, but the assumption is that was probably a "mis speak".

Classic example of FT knowing more than the cs agents.

ricktoronto Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31460777)
It's going to depend on the rate that's booked. If they book a discounted or consolidator rate for you, it's not going to qualify. If they book a retail rate, it should.

Classic example of FT knowing more than the cs agents.

Rarely have I seen a rate that was obviously some kind of hugely discounted rate. That said if they offered 1/2 price then who cares about the points or nights, really.

I have booked Sky City in HK a few times, and a couple Residence Inns without drama. I find the Marriott site is horrible to use so when I don't use a TA I call them instead anyway. On the phone they are quite capable at least so far.

I never use OTAs for anything. Or booking sites other than Hotels.com when I am on a road trip and I am booking for an hour ahead of arriving somewhere. And not for Marriott, usually Best Western when you going to stay in Carbondale or other small towns.

C17PSGR Aug 27, 2019 6:17 pm

If you book a rate like: "Regular Rate - Regular Rate, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Sabre) " it counts.

OTOH, if you book a rate like "Special, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Hotels.com)" it doesn't count

gojko88 Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm

I've just been denied all elite benefits and stay credit at the Westin Warsaw due to the stay having been booked by Carlson Wagonlit, which is the only way my company (80.000+ employees) has been booking stays for years. I've asked their reservations department for clarification, but if these stays indeed fall under the "third-party bookings" rule, then I'm definitely moving my 40+ nights a year completely away from Marriott.

C17PSGR Aug 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88 (Post 31477542)
I've just been denied all elite benefits and stay credit at the Westin Warsaw due to the stay having been booked by Carlson Wagonlit, which is the only way my company (80.000+ employees) has been booking stays for years. I've asked their reservations department for clarification, but if these stays indeed fall under the "third-party bookings" rule, then I'm definitely moving my 40+ nights a year completely away from Marriott.

It's not a matter of whether you booked it through Carlson -- its a matter of what rate you booked.

For example, in Concur, "Regular Rate - Regular Rate, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Sabre) " provides all elite benefits and stay credit. OTOH, if you book a rate like "Special, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Hotels.com)" it doesn't count.

This isn't a matter unique to CWT.