Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Human (Carlson Wagonlit) Travel Agent Bookings and Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

It seems from trying to plow through other threads that online travel agents are a pox on Bonvoy as far as points and nights go.

I use a human TA at Carlson and I'm not sure if this penalty extends to them as well. My experience at their Residence Inns worked OK as does Radisson.

Are human agencies now on the same bad list as OTAs?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You should be fine provided you book an eligible rate (I don't know if they sometimes offer rates via OTA's nowadays?)... We're all waiting for clarification from the lurker team on another thread who seemed to announce that all third parties were now verboten, but the assumption is that was probably a "mis speak".
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Are human agencies now on the same bad list as OTAs?
It's going to depend on the rate that's booked. If they book a discounted or consolidator rate for you, it's not going to qualify. If they book a retail rate, it should.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
We're all waiting for clarification from the lurker team on another thread who seemed to announce that all third parties were now verboten, but the assumption is that was probably a "mis speak".
Classic example of FT knowing more than the cs agents.
EuropeanPete and C17PSGR like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's going to depend on the rate that's booked. If they book a discounted or consolidator rate for you, it's not going to qualify. If they book a retail rate, it should.

Classic example of FT knowing more than the cs agents.
Rarely have I seen a rate that was obviously some kind of hugely discounted rate. That said if they offered 1/2 price then who cares about the points or nights, really.

I have booked Sky City in HK a few times, and a couple Residence Inns without drama. I find the Marriott site is horrible to use so when I don't use a TA I call them instead anyway. On the phone they are quite capable at least so far.

I never use OTAs for anything. Or booking sites other than Hotels.com when I am on a road trip and I am booking for an hour ahead of arriving somewhere. And not for Marriott, usually Best Western when you going to stay in Carbondale or other small towns.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If you book a rate like: "Regular Rate - Regular Rate, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Sabre) " it counts.

OTOH, if you book a rate like "Special, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Hotels.com)" it doesn't count
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I've just been denied all elite benefits and stay credit at the Westin Warsaw due to the stay having been booked by Carlson Wagonlit, which is the only way my company (80.000+ employees) has been booking stays for years. I've asked their reservations department for clarification, but if these stays indeed fall under the "third-party bookings" rule, then I'm definitely moving my 40+ nights a year completely away from Marriott.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by gojko88
I've just been denied all elite benefits and stay credit at the Westin Warsaw due to the stay having been booked by Carlson Wagonlit, which is the only way my company (80.000+ employees) has been booking stays for years. I've asked their reservations department for clarification, but if these stays indeed fall under the "third-party bookings" rule, then I'm definitely moving my 40+ nights a year completely away from Marriott.
It's not a matter of whether you booked it through Carlson -- its a matter of what rate you booked.

For example, in Concur, "Regular Rate - Regular Rate, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Sabre) " provides all elite benefits and stay credit. OTOH, if you book a rate like "Special, Standard, Guest Room, 1 King (Hotels.com)" it doesn't count.

This isn't a matter unique to CWT.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.