Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

William Sanders [formerly Starwood / Marriott Lurker] Now at Hilton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Wow, Hilton just pulled the ultimate game move.

So Long, Farewell…and Hello! To a New Hilton Representative
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Very interesting indeed!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This doesn't speak well about Marriott...wow. Know a lot of Ambassadors have already fled for the exits (mine included)...seems like William is among them.

I wish him all the best. HH folks are lucky to have him.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow indeed.

The prior Hilton rep, Lauren, was really good.

It must be incredibly frustrating trying to help Marriott customers these days, knowing your management just doesn't care.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow indeed.

The prior Hilton rep, Lauren, was really good.

It must be incredibly frustrating trying to help Marriott customers these days, knowing your management just doesn't care.
I don't think there are any Marriott staff that try to help.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
William is awesome, and I'm sure all of us wish him well at Hilton. We will miss him for sure!

It's a social media team, and there are others. William was amazing, and he set the bar high. William will be a great asset for Hilton.That being said, the social media team at Marriott (and SPG before it) still has other wonderful members, too.

When one person's move makes this much excitement over at Hilton, you really gotta wonder.
Redhead, Condition One and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:19 pm

The better play is if Hyatt got to William first... then all around hyatt customer service will top the rest...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:25 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
The better play is if Hyatt got to William first... then all around hyatt customer service will top the rest...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while hyatt reps rarely post they were very responsive and helpful via pm in the past ime..

this is quite entertaining though and and i guess a sign of times.. companies used to poach execs now they poach influencers and social media reps
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
if he moves to Hyatt, i will dump marRIOTt and follow him asap.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I came from the Marriott side, and watched the steep drop in response from official channels over the years. Then came SPG, and for the year before the August merger of the 3 programs, saw tons of interaction. In the past year I have really felt that the responses dropped off a cliff. I would see an unsigned post by a lurker saying to send details, but this seemed to me to be quite sparse. It felt like the lurkers were Marriotted quite quickly (I can't call it bonvoyed as this reaction predated the program.).

I honestly felt customer service was quite good at Marriott call centers up to 2017, even if the presence here dropped. Now, it's lacking all around.

If this is the normal, it can't be a surprise that someone as respected as William would move on.

I haven't had many issues that needed assistance luckily, but it is a disappointment to see this occur.
DJ_Iceman and supatight80 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It’s certainly alarming that William has moved to Hilton. If this is a sign of things to come then I’ll be watching developments closely to see if switching to Hilton could become a real possibility. The fact that Marriott couldn’t / wouldn’t retain him and see the value of doing so is an indication of where Marriott is heading. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
I don't think there are any Marriott staff that try to help.
I disagree with this statement, there are quite a few Marriott staff, albeit ex Starwood people who try and help and are amazing, my Ambassador for a start but the issue is they get no backing from Marriott Corporate so are essentially given an inmpossible task. Keep customers happy but have no power or ability to do so.

At the same time Marriott is woefully understaffed and I even have emails from Marriott Corporate Liason telling me so and for this reason they cannot give the service they should be able to and this is to someone with 150(ish) nights a year and hits the Ambassador spend long before I hit the 100 night threshold etc etc so I can only imagine what it must be like for people without a great Ambassador or lower status.

The issue is not that there aren't Marriott staff who are trying to help its that Marriott Corporate culture is such that these people are not able to help and when they ask higher up they get ignored, hence they end up leaving. No idea if thats whats happened here with William but I know for sure its happened with a lot of very good ex Starwood people and the reasons are pretty much always the same!

Marriott see the client as the hotel owners, we the guests are simply there to be exploited. I can see from a short to medium term why it makes sense to Marriott to do this, I personally now only stay at properties that have management who clearly have values very different to Marriott Corporate or alternativly look at options outside Marriott when that cannot be achieved.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I have no doubt that Hyatt tried to lure William, especially with many former SPG leaders over there now. Kudos to William for Bonvoying out of Marriott at the top of his game.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
When one person's move makes this much excitement over at Hilton, you really gotta wonder.
yup....you really got to wonder how good he is & what an amazing move this is....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.