Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

‘Conference’ password for my car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘Conference’ password for my car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You have an iPhone, right? Do it on your iPhone.

How do you connect to the camera now? If it's via an app, and you don't have to be on the same wifi network, it's probably connecting through an intermediate server. My guess anyway. And if that's true, then it might work.

If you have to be on same wifi network to connect to it, then yeah, the isolation thing probably comes into play.

-David
Earlier today, I went to the car with my iPhone X. I connected to the BV by using the BV ‘Wifi’. I looked for the MAC address, but all I saw was AT&T data.

In order to change settings on the BV, download videos direct to my iPhone, I must use the BV Wifi with the BV app (shown up thread). However, obviously when my iPad or iPhone is on the same Wifi as my BV then I can see live views through the cameras.

Just to make certain we are on the same page, you are saying substitute iPhone for iPad with the instructions given upthread by @nobodyherebutme , right?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:58 pm

Yes, you have to follow the instructions in post #59 , replace iPad with your iPhone.

You will be enabling the wifi hotspot on your iPhone, then have the BV webcam connect to your iphone's hotspot. Then run the network analyzer app on your iPhone in order to capture and display the mac address of the camera. That's the sole purpose of doing that.

Then you can turn off the hotspot on your phone. Call the support people, give them the mac address you found and then connect the BV camera to the hotel's guest network.

and so on ... as in post #59 .

For anything that requires them to be on the same wifi network, that might be blocked by that protocol.

Once you get the BV camera connected to the guest network, try the BV camera app on your iOS device. See what you can do.

-David
Xeno likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
I suspect it may be something that an IT person could do (if any were working at the hotel). It may be similar to my trying to connect a chromecast device - that device cannot "sign in" but the IT person can add the MAC address into their system and then I can use it as if I had signed in. Maybe not since your device can login but just a thought.
So basically what I said - but didn't know how hard it would be to find the MAC address.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, you have to follow the instructions in post #59 , replace iPad with your iPhone.

You will be enabling the wifi hotspot on your iPhone, then have the BV webcam connect to your iphone's hotspot. Then run the network analyzer app on your iPhone in order to capture and display the mac address of the camera. That's the sole purpose of doing that.

Then you can turn off the hotspot on your phone. Call the support people, give them the mac address you found and then connect the BV camera to the hotel's guest network.

and so on ... as in post #59 .

For anything that requires them to be on the same wifi network, that might be blocked by that protocol.

Once you get the BV camera connected to the guest network, try the BV camera app on your iOS device. See what you can do.

-David
I have tried these instructions for two days now and have not been able to get the BV dash cam to connect to my iPhone X hotspot. I can connect my iPad Pro3 to the iPhone hotspot, but not the BV.

When I am doing this in the car, I have my iPhone hotspot on and I connect to the BV Wifi to open the app and search for available networks. It shows various networks, but not my iPhone hotspot.

I tried these instructions at having using my home router rather my iPhone hotspot but when I pull up Net Anaylzer it does not show the BV dashcam.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Xeno
When I asked about generating a password, she said that was she they did not the ability to do. She said Internet is all off site and she gave me a phone number to call to see how they would respond.
I'm going to skip some of the technical detail, but the hotel is not going to be able to give you the kind of password you need for your device. Your dash cam only works with a network-level password; if the network is protected with that kind of password, every other guest in the hotel would have to use it for every other connected device. This is a technical limitation, not a policy thing.

If you think about it, when you go to a coffee shop or similar, they give everyone the same password, and everyone has to use it. You don't need to do that to connect your laptop at a hotel, because they use a different kind of security. Sadly your camera doesn't support that kind of security.

As for the MAC address, here is some information on how to find that for your camera:

https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/e...Cloud-service-

I've never used a BlackVue, but it looks like when you connect to it to configure it for a new network, you connect to a network like "DR650GW-F04CDD" (where DR650GW is the model of the camera).

According to this thread, the MAC address is 00:25:42 + the last six digits of that configuration network. So for the example cam above, it would be 00:25:42:F0:4C: DD .

If you call the hotel tech support and give them the MAC address for your camera, they should be able to put it on the network. You would then be able to join the network from the camera with no password.
Xeno likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm going to skip some of the technical detail, but the hotel is not going to be able to give you the kind of password you need for your device. Your dash cam only works with a network-level password; if the network is protected with that kind of password, every other guest in the hotel would have to use it for every other connected device. This is a technical limitation, not a policy thing.

If you think about it, when you go to a coffee shop or similar, they give everyone the same password, and everyone has to use it. You don't need to do that to connect your laptop at a hotel, because they use a different kind of security. Sadly your camera doesn't support that kind of security.

As for the MAC address, here is some information on how to find that for your camera:

https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/e...Cloud-service-

I've never used a BlackVue, but it looks like when you connect to it to configure it for a new network, you connect to a network like "DR650GW-F04CDD" (where DR650GW is the model of the camera).

According to this thread, the MAC address is 00:25:42 + the last six digits of that configuration network. So for the example cam above, it would be 00:25:42:F0:4C: DD .

If you call the hotel tech support and give them the MAC address for your camera, they should be able to put it on the network. You would then be able to join the network from the camera with no password.
Thank you. I am reviewing your helpful post and hope that I will be able to implement as you suggest.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why should you be able to sponge off of something for free that another group is paying for? I'm sure that if you pay the hotel to hold a conference, they will give you the password.
I disagree. I think that it you are staying in the hotel, it's reasonable for the hotel to give you internet access in the hotel's public areas -- sometimes this might mean the visitor or conference wi-fi connection if the connection that reaches the guest rooms does not reach the lobby. A similar example is if there is a courtyard or other smoking area outside, and one wants to sit there with a cigar and use the internet, or in the pool area at a large hotel. I have never had a hotel refuse to give me the public-area connection.

Perhaps this is it outside the letter of the T&C, but is hardly an abuse.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm w/ dayone on this one.

More importantly, I'm assuming the OP has insurance. From what I've read/interpreted, he & spouse are worried about the car being carjacked. Unless his connecting to wifi gives him an instant alert while they're asleep, I'm confused on how this is going to help. Maybe I'm missing something? And if he's got a wonderful car, then he presumably has wonderful insurance.

Re: the public area. A parking garage is not generally included in the lobby or smoking area in terms of wifi access, and often due to cement can't pick up on hotel wifi. Frequently the parking garage isn't even run by Marriott, so free wifi wouldn't apply either.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: the public area. A parking garage is not generally included in the lobby or smoking area in terms of wifi access, and often due to cement can't pick up on hotel wifi. Frequently the parking garage isn't even run by Marriott, so free wifi wouldn't apply either.
But if there is a wi-fi signal from the hotel that reaches the parking garage (be it the lobby or conference connection), which seems to be the OP's case, then it seems reasonable to me that the hotel would give him access to this wi-fi signal. We are not talking about a dedicated parking garage wi-fi connection run by the outsourced garage manager.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
But if there is a wi-fi signal from the hotel that reaches the parking garage (be it the lobby or conference connection), which seems to be the OP's case, then it seems reasonable to me that the hotel would give him access to this wi-fi signal. We are not talking about a dedicated parking garage wi-fi connection run by the outsourced garage manager.
this is what the op said:

I am a registered guest. My dash cam (BlackVue) can see both Guest and Conference WiFi’s
so the op can get the normal (non-conference) guest WiFi but I’m assuming it’s more difficult to program since conference WiFi only needs a password to connect while the guest one requires the input of room number validation.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm w/ dayone on this one.

More importantly, I'm assuming the OP has insurance. From what I've read/interpreted, he & spouse are worried about the car being carjacked. Unless his connecting to wifi gives him an instant alert while they're asleep, I'm confused on how this is going to help. Maybe I'm missing something? And if he's got a wonderful car, then he presumably has wonderful insurance.

Cheers.
Can't believe (well actually I can, but didn't think you'd fall for it too) how we all judge somebody for asking a technical question. They are entitled to use the guest wifi as a registered guest and that's the direction the thread went, helping OP to figure out how to connect to it from a device that won't display the web page connect screen.

Yet, so many people feel the need to judge the person for what they want to do with a resource they are entitled to use. (Not the 'conference' wifi, the 'guest' wifi)

I'm sure everybody else uses the hotel wifi strictly for business purposes, right?

-David
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
However, my dash cam does not have a way to enter last name and room number, only a password.
Therein lies the problem. It doesn't matter where you log in at the property, hotels (and most other public WiFi access points) use captive portals where you must enter or acknowledge an agreement using a web browser. There are two ways to handle this. 1) Get a travel router. There's some <$20 ones which work well enough. Connect up the dash cam to your travel router, as well as your phone/tablet/laptop, then connect to the hotel's WiFi through the router. Once you've logged in on there, all of your devices will have access to WiFi without sign-on screens. 2) Call the tech support for the hotel you're staying at. Have the MAC address of the dash cam, and they can add it for you.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
Therein lies the problem. It doesn't matter where you log in at the property, hotels (and most other public WiFi access points) use captive portals where you must enter or acknowledge an agreement using a web browser. There are two ways to handle this. 1) Get a travel router. There's some <$20 ones which work well enough. Connect up the dash cam to your travel router, as well as your phone/tablet/laptop, then connect to the hotel's WiFi through the router. Once you've logged in on there, all of your devices will have access to WiFi without sign-on screens. 2) Call the tech support for the hotel you're staying at. Have the MAC address of the dash cam, and they can add it for you.
Thank you. I mentioned a travel router upthread and post #80 showed me how to get a MAC address. I need to test this, but am now focused on three international trips in a row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.