Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"BONVOY-ING" Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

"BONVOY-ING" Yourself?

So, I like to monitor the Marriott site for price fluctuation and rebook the stay when able. The last couple days I have seen my exact booking drop over $50 and have cancelled and rebooked my stay. Heck- why not?

I assume Marriott tracks cancellation rates. For those who have been in the practice of rebooking frequently. has Marriott found the necessity to flag your account or anything like that???

What is the proposed outcome when it has happened?
Old May 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My employer expects me to use the lowest (not nonrefundable) available rate that I'm entitled to use in the hotel where I'm staying (unless of course a suite is needed for the business purpose of the trip). I don't obsess about checking rates after I've made a reservation, but I do check once or twice when I remember.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Middleseatguy
So, I like to monitor the Marriott site for price fluctuation and rebook the stay when able. The last couple days I have seen my exact booking drop over $50 and have cancelled and rebooked my stay. Heck- why not?

I assume Marriott tracks cancellation rates. For those who have been in the practice of rebooking frequently. has Marriott found the necessity to flag your account or anything like that???

how is this different than any other hotel chains? Rebook when the rate is lower.
Duke787, Dav77 and jaejaez like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My employer expects me to use the lowest (not nonrefundable) available rate that I'm entitled to use in the hotel where I'm staying (unless of course a suite is needed for the business purpose of the trip). I don't obsess about checking rates after I've made a reservation, but I do check once or twice when I remember.
Right. When on business, it don't make it a practice. but for personal travel.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
My grandmother always told “it’s better 1.000 lire - a long time ago - in my pocket than in someone else pocket” ...
Old May 21, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Right. When on business, it don't make it a practice. but for personal travel.
I do the same for personal travel: check once or twice when I remember, maybe more frequently if I suspect that rates/availability might change.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I usually book non refundable (if the schedule is already fixed) and dont bother check .. due to my destination is always getting more expensive the closer you book the hotel ... never going down

However, I did saw that my local courtyard price did drop price around 20% closer to the stay date ... (a friend of mine use this hotel when visiting my town)
Old May 21, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Unless you're doing it by the hundreds, doubt anything is going to get flagged.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
I once rebooked 4P in Dubai 7 times during the month. The price just kept going down every few days! I would not worry at all.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I assume Marriott tracks cancellation rates.
I don't think you need to actually cancel and rebook. Just change the existing reservation to the same set of dates.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I think the only person who has to worry is this poster.

Lifetime Status Has Me Worried About Complaining & Getting Booted

Seriously, I have BRGed the same properties over and over again as the price kept going down (more so in the old days when I had 95% success rate with BRGs) and somehow SPG/MAR both granted me LT status and my account is still alive and well.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Does anyone think that Marriott IT can pull this off?
Middleseatguy and jinrop like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I do this all the time. If I know we are going somewhere, I'll check up until the last change day for rates going down.

Sometimes there's no change, sometimes price goes up (so I do nothing), but sometimes I end up saving $20-25/day which can add up over the course of a stay.

Absolutely within the rules and no reason to be concerned -- if Marriott didn't want it to happen they would move to only non-refundable rates or increase the cancel period (which they've done).

And as mentioned above, never cancel and rebook, just modify existing reservation
Old May 22, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Duke787
Absolutely within the rules and no reason to be concerned -- if Marriott didn't want it to happen they would move to only non-refundable rates or increase the cancel period (which they've done).

And as mentioned above, never cancel and rebook, just modify existing reservation
Actually -- does the cancellation penalty ever apply if you're modifying the reservation and keep the same dates? (Or does the system just not let you do it within the cancellation window?)
Old May 22, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
I do this all the time. If I know we are going somewhere, I'll check up until the last change day for rates going down.

Sometimes there's no change, sometimes price goes up (so I do nothing), but sometimes I end up saving $20-25/day which can add up over the course of a stay.

Why Modify??? And does this have better success wth the "lower rate guarantee"... Which I seem to never get honored due to some stupid loop hole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.