Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Benefits and Bonvoy credits if I have Simultaneous Stays at Different Hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits and Bonvoy credits if I have Simultaneous Stays at Different Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The problem is that getting credit for the same night could mean that someone else is checking in for you and you never physically stayed at one or more of the hotels. This is the sort of behavior that could cause trouble, not a need to keep one hotel room while briefly staying elsewhere (assuming that one has actually stayed at the first hotel).
Old May 22, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
“Doing this” - booking and paying for the same night at different hotels - is perfectly legitimate and, save for the potential clawback of Bonvoy benefits and credits under the T&Cs of the program, there are no grounds whatsoever to take any punitive action against the member.
My read is not as clear-cut and absolute as yours is.

Originally Posted by Marriott Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions
The Company may cancel a Member’s accumulated Points, suspend Loyalty Program benefits, suspend Elite Membership Status, suspend Lifetime Elite Membership Status (which will subsequently also remove protection against the forfeiture of Points […] or cancel a Member’s Account at any time with immediate effect and without written notice, for any reason and in the Company's sole discretion
Old May 22, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I would assume this is sort of like throw away segments on US airlines. Do it occasionally or infrequently and you are probably fine. Do it often and it looks like you are taken advantage of hidden city ticketing, skip lagging, etc.

To add another data point. Last month my SO and I checked into a CY in NJ for a 7 night stay on her account. That day she found out she needed to be in TX for one one in the middle of the stay for work. The one night stay posted no problem (nights and points). The longer stay did not post. After 10 days I submitted a missing stay request online under her account and explained the situation, even noting that I only expected credit for the nights that did not overlap with the other stay. Got full credit (points and nights) about a day or 2 later. Will also note that it was during double nights and points promotion. If they do audit and claw back, it would be a reasonable action, but she'll be far enough past the threshold for the next elite level at that point so it won't really make a difference to us, minus the points.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by dayone
My read is not as clear-cut and absolute as yours is.
Since the portion you quoted says that they can cancel your account and forfeit your points for ANY REASON [emphasis mine] and in their sole discretion, I'd say overlapping stays are the least of our concerns.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by dayone
I agree with all of this. I would add that if one makes a habit of doing this, the clawback of points might not be the biggest concern.
Agreed. If it’s obvious that someone was gaming the system, then that type of behavior should be dealt with. For example...staying in multiple hotels on 12/31 to hit a status threshold, or some similar shady move.

That said there are many legitimate instances where someone may need stays at two different properties on the same night. Those legitimate instances shouldn’t open a customer up to discipline.

If Marriott wanted to push some code through to prevent double counting of nights they could do it. (Half joking)
Old May 23, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
If I read the T&C correctly, then double staying like this is not breaching T&C.

1 stay will have full night and point the other stay will get points only

The complication will be determining which stay qualify for night and which one is not

This part of t&c
4.2.d. Qualifying Charges without a personal overnight stay will not earn Elite Night Credit toward Elite membership.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:30 am

I've done this a few times:

- Taking a side-trip in the middle of a Fifth Night Free stay
- Leaving the hotel early on a 7-night certificate reservation and going to a different hotel in a different city

Never had issues getting the elite points and nights in both instances.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Seeing this thread reminded me of some posts earlier this year concerning Marriott changing their "rules" on earning points and stay/night credits. So I decided to check out the Marriott Rewards T&Cs.

In reading the current Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions, I found the following (which I don't remember seeing prior to the SPG program merger):

Section 2.1.d.iii " Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s)."

That pretty much sounds to me that the rules state one should only receive points and night/stay credits at a single property per night. So you can get points for up to 3 rooms per night, but they have to be rooms at the same hotel. This doesn't mean everyone will suddenly stop receiving points/night credits for rooms at multiple locations over the same nights as I doubt Marriott has implemented some type of "check" to find when posts from multiple hotels occur over the same nights. But who knows, at some point in the future, if they think this is a big enough problem, they could implement one. Or if they are auditing an account for whatever reason and find that an account received night/stay/points from different hotels over the same nights, they could then remove those nights/points. Who knows.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Booked at two hotels (different cities) on the same date

I recently read that Marriott might audit one’s account if I have two different hotel rooms booked on the same date.

My scenario: 7 night stay booked on a cat 4 certificate in City A, then would like to visit City B (an hour train ride from A) and stay one night in City B in the middle of the 7-night stay.

So I will definitely personally check in and out at both hotels, and stay at both hotels (except for one night st the property where I booked 7 night on a certificate).

I do not care for that extra elite night credit— I know I won’t get it or at least shouldn’t get it. I do however hope for nice upgrade and free brekkie at both hotels (titanium).

I don’t want to get my Marriott account audited- am I worrying way too much?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You'll be fine. Marriott has no clue what's going on with their members at the moment.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You'll be fine. Marriott has no clue what's going on with their members at the moment.
Agreed. Plus, if you have a decent story to go with it ... I can't see Marriott not wanting the extra business.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by festriaqua
I have a three week long business trip coming up and will be staying at an Aloft for the whole trip. On weekends I want to get out of town and do something fun for myself.My plan is to keep most of my stuff at the Aloft and only take the necessities for the weekend. If I stay at another Marriott chain hotel on the weekend, would I be able to earn points and nights at both locations?
Hi OP, can we get an update, please?
1. Did you check out & leave your bags with the concierge ( not likely if company paid work trip)
2. Did you earn points and nights at both locations? Is your account still safe & active?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Two stays in one night?

We're booked into hotel #1 for seven nights. One of our day trips is going to require an overnight stay. Will we earn two stays for the night in hotel #2 ?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
"Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s)."

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Thank you. I didn’t read deep enough. This is the first year I’ll qualify for Platinum and wanted to make sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.