Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First timer in a Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

First timer in a Ritz Carlton

Later in June I am taking my Wife to the Palm Springs RC Rancho Mirage for a weekend "babymoon" prior to our second child being born. She nor I have ever stayed at an RC and we are both super excited. For us, we're cool with a regular level Marriott, so this is a serious treat for us.

I know that RC does not accept Suite Night Awards, BUT does upgrade elites based on availability. I am currently a Platinum Elite just shy of Titanium or whatever element they call it (this stay will put me at 8 to go!). LOL. For those who are more familiar, have you seen success in the RC upgrades, and, if so, what have they been? I couldn't imagine a regular room and being placed in a suite in the off chance my luck comes to be.

I have seen conflicting info on Platinum status amenities at an RC:
Do I get club access? Or at least breakfast included?
Is the wifi included at my tier level?
They charge $32/day for Valet. Any chance to get that comp'd? self park is not an option forcing this payment

Separately, How has ones experience been in an RC? do you walk in and feel like royalty?

I would like to communicate with the hotel staff prior to the stay to work some magic to surprise my wife with a couple goodies. Does that sort of communication help with an upgrade?

Thanks so much!! I'll make sure to report back.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Middleseatguy
Later in June I am taking my Wife to the Palm Springs RC Rancho Mirage for a weekend "babymoon" prior to our second child being born. She nor I have ever stayed at an RC and we are both super excited. For us, we're cool with a regular level Marriott, so this is a serious treat for us.

I know that RC does not accept Suite Night Awards, BUT does upgrade elites based on availability. I am currently a Platinum Elite just shy of Titanium or whatever element they call it (this stay will put me at 8 to go!). LOL. For those who are more familiar, have you seen success in the RC upgrades, and, if so, what have they been? I couldn't imagine a regular room and being placed in a suite in the off chance my luck comes to be.

I have seen conflicting info on Platinum status amenities at an RC:
Do I get club access? Or at least breakfast included?
Is the wifi included at my tier level?
They charge $32/day for Valet. Any chance to get that comp'd? self park is not an option forcing this payment

Separately, How has ones experience been in an RC? do you walk in and feel like royalty?

I would like to communicate with the hotel staff prior to the stay to work some magic to surprise my wife with a couple goodies. Does that sort of communication help with an upgrade?

Thanks so much!! I'll make sure to report back.
no club access
no breakfast included
no comp parking

reach out to the property to say what you are celebrating but I wouldn’t flat out ask for things you are not willing to pay for or entitled to. Ymmv.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
I’ve had my first ever stay at RC last months (Abu dhabi), as Platinum Member

no upgrade (and surely not one of the best level room)

no early (just 1 hour requested) check in (got room with 30 minutes delay

I’ve payed for lounge access

had to fight to have champagne at lounge

not any special Platinum recognition

it has been a great stay overall, but I feel myself better welcomed at any Mercure 😂
Old May 20, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Keep the expectation low ..... and as platinums, only normal upgrade ... not suite.

But mentioning your special occassion to the hotel should increase the chance hotel do extra to you (but again dont expect too much else you get disappointment)

I did stay at 2 different RC and didnt get upgraded on both stays. But then at that time, the room I booked is already a suite.
And it comes with club access on one of the stays.

from t&c :
At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
The first couple of days of hearing "my pleasure" will be cool. Then it just gets over-played and you'll want to stop saying thank you/thanks.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
No upgrades, no breakfasts and no lounge access.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:44 am

...far from walk in and feel like a royal ...
Old May 21, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some RCs, there's a dress code in certain places at certain times, so plan ahead if, for instance, you plan to have dinner in the hotel or use the hotel bar in the evening.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dav77
I’ve had my first ever stay at RC last months (Abu dhabi), as Platinum Member

no upgrade (and surely not one of the best level room)

no early (just 1 hour requested) check in (got room with 30 minutes delay

I’ve payed for lounge access

had to fight to have champagne at lounge

not any special Platinum recognition

it has been a great stay overall, but I feel myself better welcomed at any Mercure 😂
Were you trying to get champagne during Ramadan?
Old May 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Keep your expectations in check, they're not called resort factories for nothing
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
The first couple of days of hearing "my pleasure" will be cool. Then it just gets over-played and you'll want to stop saying thank you/thanks.
Do they have an on-site Chick Fil-A?
Old May 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
do you walk in and feel like royalty?
Only if you felt like royalty BEFORE you walked in.

I'd normally have my man (servant) call the hotel, but if you do not have a man then ring them up and make sure you let them know who you are and what status you have. Once you arrive you might need to repeat the same message in person and if need be use your OUTSIDE voice, so there is no confusion.

Also please be aware of how "liberal" PS is. I know it was a bit shocking to us and I was a bit put off my man did not mention this to us beforehand.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
We stayed at the RC Rancho Mirage last year and we had a good stay despite a few problem (all small but they soon add up), it is a lovely setting and a nice property. We upgraded to a Club room by emailing the hotel in advance and for $150 per day we thought this was a good deal considering how much breakfast would cost (and then you have the free flowing booze).

We we did have a few service issue with noise (there was a private event one evening) and the lack of some simple amenities (the coffee machine in the lounge kept breaking down and no alternative offered). These were however addressed following our stay (we tried to sort them out while we were there and they didn’t want to know, only when the GM got involved did they remedy the issues).

We we will be back at for a stay at Christmas so we are hoping for a better stay, but I would recommend you keep your expectations fairly low and pay for an upgrade to the Club level if you really want to enhance your stay.

Old May 21, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were you trying to get champagne during Ramadan?
no. It was during Easter week end April. Plenty of alcoholic at Club lounge...except champagne, but at the end they have opened 1 bottle every evening just for us.

Prosecco (cheap one) was given to other guests.

No cocktails also, and for me it’s little bit strange, considering we are habit to get quite at any Accor (Sofitel) club lounge.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Did you notice any good cognac? I remember noticing XO in addition to VS/VSOP, with the latter being given unless one asked very explicitly for the good stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.