Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why there is no Elite member check in desk in Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why there is no Elite member check in desk in Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 6:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EricH
An elite check-in line is nice when the alternative is a long line, but my ego isn't so fragile that I need to distinguish myself from the hoi-polloi just for the sake of it.
When I'm at a convention hotel at 4:00 pm and the elite line has four people and the regular line is 30+, I appreciate having the elite line. It has nothing to do with ego.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Apparently, bonvoy no longer list priority check in lane as elite benefit, hence the removal of such counter
Nazdoom likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:40 am

I asked corporate back in January whether elite check-in line was a brand standard and they said it was at the discretion of each hotel whether to have one.

Personally, it would have been nice from a customer experience perspective if there was consistency among all Bonvoy properties during check-in, such as one standard "Welcome Back Bonvoy Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elite" rug or plaque leading to a desk (if unmanned, FDA calls on that person next / verifies status). Check-in lines can be quite long and bothersome, especially after a long flight or in hot climates, or when chasing MegaBonus with 30 stays in 30 days.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I remember checking into the LAX Marriott & there were more elites in the elite line than there were in the regular check-in line. After waiting for ages I switched to the non-elite line & got checked in faster than the folk still waiting in the elite line

Cheers.
JBord likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
W Singapore did something I consider very smart about elite spg lines before.

They left the counter unattended. But when someone queueing there they send extra staff out and check the guest credentials. If the guest is elites, they process the check in if not the person was directed to other queue.

Maybe smart for the hotel, not for the customer. If there's no one at the desk, why in the world would I line up there not knowing if someone will show up or not? I assume most people would just use the regular line then, making the elite line even more elite I suppose...
Fizzer likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I remember checking into the LAX Marriott & there were more elites in the elite line than there were in the regular check-in line. After waiting for ages I switched to the non-elite line & got checked in faster than the folk still waiting in the elite line

Cheers.
Reminds me of BA boarding queues, where there are often more in boarding groups 1 and 2 (Gold and Silver) than there are in 3 and 4 (Bronze and Blue). In this situation the Gold and Silver folks still get to board first, however
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaejaez
From what I've seen, the elite check-in counters are by far the toughest to manage from a operational perspective.
If you man this counter, guests will want to check-in regardless of status.. and it isn't always easy to turn status-less guests away simply by telling them that the counter is 'only for elite guests'... particularly if the counter is not serving anybody at the time.
And so this counter becomes just any other counter if manned, defeating the purpose of having one in the first place.

airline never had problem with separate economy and business class guest , and people who are not entitled to use that line would been told back to your economy regular line.

This is weird , people will not use business class in the airport. they know they just couldn’t use that area, but they are not afraid to use member area in a hotel. I think hotel is the one to blame for.What the hell is a “ membership zone”?...

I think hotel industry never really care about this , otherwise it’s the same thing as airline .

Btw, in Asia you can just asking to go to the executive lounge to check in to avoid the line, not sure if they got check in facility in the US, my experience told me there is no.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Airline can utilise their priority lane better as they have some degree of certainty about how many people use them on a given flight. Given the nature that whole pax in same flight will be checking in within certain period (some did offer early check in)
Hotel check in is spread into pretty much 24 hrs period.
And depends on hotel size, they most likely handling less people /day compare to airline check in desk.

One 300 room hotel would handle check in and check out (if all move in and out) similar to just 1 fully load a380
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Now I'm getting flashbacks to Operations Management class!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 am

I've probably just been lucky, but I usually only find1-2 guests to before me.

The only place I've been recently where check-in was problematic was the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Orlando, FL, but that was due to the timeshare saleholes, but I'll save that for another thread.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Something like this?

In addition to expediting the check-in experience for Elites, you would also think that the agent handling that lane would be more experienced, especially about all the features of the Bonvoy program (arrival gifts, upgrades, etc.). I've stayed several times at the NYC Marriott Marquis Times Square, and I've always found the agent in the dedicated lane. to have that experience (talk about a loooong regular line!).
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.