Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Expand in Mexico 50% by end of 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott to Expand in Mexico 50% by end of 2023

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
If Marriott was only expanding where it's "Safe' most major US cities would never get another hotel.

I think I would bet on them having realized that there's more of a market than we might realize.

As for "treating like dirt". Well, I have never been treated that way so I am not panicking now just because some people are upset over breakfast.
Your last 2 comments I agree with. But if I'm recalling correctly some of the studies I've read, Mexico has twice the number of homicides as the US, with only about 35% of the population. As I said, right now it's just be smart about where you go. But the numbers are actually getting worse every year, and I do think visitors will begin to stay away at some point. As others have said, the hotels are not just for foreign visitors though. I'll assume Marriott has done it's homework, but the aggressive growth plan still surprised me.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by TRANSWORLDMARINE
So,It is unanimous, That Marriott Hotels in Mexico Treat Elites like Dirt!!
I've always been treated quite well at the FS Mar in CDMX. Full buffet daily in a very spacious lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Tanic
I've always been treated quite well at the FS Mar in CDMX. Full buffet daily in a very spacious lounge.
I've also been treated well there.

I think the issue is that the resorts generally flout rules for elites in that (a) they don't follow the upgrade rules even the hotels are virtually empty -- applying the one category up principal rather than best room available and (b) are flouting the breakfast rules.

I have found the staff to be generally very good. For example, the staff at the JW Cabo and Westin PVR have been very professional when they explained they had multiple suites available but wouldn't upgrade me. The staff at the Marriott PVR was very polite too when they explained they only upgraded one category so that if I upgraded one category, they would give me a suite. The staff at the St.R. Punta Mita was very polite when they told me they couldn't do anything on my reservation when I had a travel issue that mooted out the trip. I didn't get an upgrade at the JW Cancun but they seemed busy so I'll give them a pass. Several others on here have reported problems at that property.

The facilities are all good but there is a consistent theme across the resorts in Mexico of not following the program that I don't see in other parts of the world. Even though there has been violence in the tourist areas in Cancun and Cabo, I'm not particularly worried but not following the rules doesn't help.

There is a large middle class in Mexico and I think this is a good plan of expanding ... but making the resorts follow the rules would be a good step as well.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Diamond,Amb,Wyndham Diamond
Well said! Maybe it was the Easter weekend ,But The selection of Items at the PVR Marriott is also less than desirable otherwise paying for Breakfast is no problem either.Beans and Beans related Items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.