FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1966155-westin-st-john-resort-villas-usvi-reopened-post-hurricane-master-thread.html)

stc Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by azhoopsfan (Post 13464860)
Does anyone know if you need to your own CAT cable to connect to the internet in the room (or is there a CAT cable fixed to the desk that you must use)? I'm wondering if we can bring our own cable to browse the web from bed.

Also, can anyone comment on the size of the safes? Could a smaller laptop (ie 13'' screen) fit inside?

Thanks!

There are CAT / Ethernet cable couplers. So, even if there is a cable fixed to the desk, you should be able to attach your cable with a coupler.

cvonbar Jun 2, 2010 1:02 pm

Westin St. John, USVI

Planning a stay at Westin St. John during the week of Thanksgiving 2010. I've booked first two nights with Starwood points and need 4 more nights. Anybody heard of any deals there?

gores95 Jul 6, 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by cvonbar (Post 14064268)
Planning a stay at Westin St. John during the week of Thanksgiving 2010. I've booked first two nights with Starwood points and need 4 more nights. Anybody heard of any deals there?

Here are some courtesy of Google: http://deals.westin.com/Westin-St-Jo...rt-1098/so.htm

azhoopsfan Jul 20, 2010 10:40 am

FYI, there was wireless and plug in internet in our room (but the plug in didnt work). The wireless was fine for web browsing but generally really, really slow. Don't think about streaming Netflix or Amazon movies through your computer.

heybehbeh Oct 8, 2010 3:45 pm

Anyone stay here recently?

Will be here first week of November, notice they are "improving infrastructure" through November 23. Anyone have any first hand reports?

Also, I am attending a conference there and am using my points. Noticed if I booked room through confernce web site, they are getting a reduced resort fee of $20.00.

I will nicely ask for no resort fee, but my back up is asking for the reduced resort fee of $20

any comments?

Alemdude Oct 23, 2010 6:13 am

I'm there right now and will be here for another week. Westin property got hit by Tropical Storm Otto. Currently all of their facilities by the beach are closed for repairs; they are not charging a resort fee because there is no 'resort' to speak off. The restaurant above the main lobby is available and you can still schedule off-site tours using their facilities.

They have free shuttles to Hawksnest, Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay Beaches.

zachary Oct 23, 2010 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Alemdude (Post 14997977)
I'm there right now and will be here for another week. Westin property got hit by Tropical Storm Otto. Currently all of their facilities by the beach are closed for repairs; they are not charging a resort fee because there is no 'resort' to speak off. The restaurant above the main lobby is available and you can still schedule off-site tours using their facilities.

Others may disagree, but I wish they'd keep it that way. I'd trade the lack of beach facilities for the $40 resort fee any time. In fact, the resort fee has kept me from thinking this property was worth the use of my points. I'd need two rooms for my family, so my "free" rooms would start at $80/night.

me4tux Oct 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alemdude (Post 14997977)

I am just getting up to speed on this recent news...

How bad is the damage? We're planning to go sometime Dec 2 - 6.

Should we even bother at all?? Since you are literally on "ground zero", could you recommend which other hotels that have not been severely damaged?

How bad is damage on the east side of St Thomas?

Sorry for the questions.....

I hope you're still making the best of the situation on St John....

Alemdude Oct 29, 2010 9:06 am

They are hoping to have the resort ready by mid November; they are busy trying to fix things up for their high season. I come here to bunk for the night; most of my time has been spent at the beaches and the BVI. I suggest that you talk directly to management if the resort activities/features are important to you. The rest of the island is fine; the roads are fine for the most part. The only place that had significant damage was the Westin property.

Personally, I liked the fact that I wasnt paying $40 a night for the resort; it forced us to explore more. Good luck.

me4tux Oct 29, 2010 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Alemdude (Post 15036727)
They are hoping to have the resort ready by mid November; they are busy trying to fix things up for their high season. I come here to bunk for the night; most of my time has been spent at the beaches and the BVI. I suggest that you talk directly to management if the resort activities/features are important to you. The rest of the island is fine; the roads are fine for the most part. The only place that had significant damage was the Westin property.

Personally, I liked the fact that I wasnt paying $40 a night for the resort; it forced us to explore more. Good luck.

Right! Thanks for the heads up on their situation... I guess I still have 1 month to see how they are progressing....

Enjoy the rest of your time at STT :)

The Weekly Flyer Dec 19, 2010 9:51 am

Does anyone have any recent experiences with the resort grounds?

Are the beach and facilities still closed and not charging the $40 resort fee?

Appreciate any comments, we are heading there in 1 week. I will post an update when I get there.

Schutzee Dec 19, 2010 7:11 pm

flyfarfar, We will also be there next week (12/26 to 1/2) Look for the Flyertalk luggage tag. ;)

Schutzee Dec 27, 2010 6:33 am

dulpicate

Schutzee Dec 27, 2010 6:34 am

I'm here at the Westin now. The $40 resort fee is back but it includes (slow)internet access. Pool, tennis, beach all are fine. Still some signs of storm damage. Landscape crews at work restoring the grounds.

The kids are sad that they are missing the blizzard back in NY. Dad is happy to not be shoveling snow this morning :cool:

kevinsac Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 15529163)
Dad is happy to not be shoveling snow this morning :cool:

That alone is worth $40 a day, right mon? :D