FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1965800-next-bonvoy-global-promotion-after-4-june-2019-a.html)

kaizen7 Apr 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm hoping for a global (not targeted) double night credit promotion :D

escape4 Apr 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 31013880)
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...

The promo started not even a month ago, so ignoring the fact that the first stay did not earn any bonus, that means $7500 spend in less than 30 days = $250 per night if you have been in hotels all month and did not spread the wealth to other hotel chains. Or maybe a 10-night vacation splurge at $750 per night.

I am not doubting what you say, but I would simply note that you are probably at the high end of who benefited the most from the promo; you are not the norm and therefore I would not call the promo lucrative simply based on your experience. Of course anybody spending $5k+ in the promo month will benefit, but most Ambassador level guests spend $20-40k per year, not $5k per month (= $60k per year), let alone $7.5k per month. Not even mentioning the large number of guests below AMB level who are nowhere near that.

I have spent $2600 since the promo started and cutting out my first stay I am at $2k spend, so 20k bonus points... as far as I am concerned it's nothing to write home about bonus-wise, it's a good bonus but not over the top. And I am sure I benefited more than 95% of folks, yet you are almost at 4x my bonus so far... which means you are possibly in the 99.9 percentile. For the vast majority of people, this promo is just ok.

Maybe it's just semantics but for the fun of the discussion, for me to call a promo "lucrative" I need to see better than double points because all it's doing is giving you an extra 10% discount, approximately. A lucrative promo in my humble opinion is Hilton's occasional triple points promo, or Hyatt's promo a couple of years ago where 25 nights during the period netted you 75k points (= great value if you stay at cheap hotels). Or when Hilton had a stackable promo of double points + 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay, great if you have lots of 1-night stays, in fact it made some stays almost free. Those promos resulted in a discount of far more than 10%. Double points is a decent promo, but fairly average. I prefer a 10% discount to no discount, but it won't change my decisions for many stays.

escape4 Apr 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 31014748)
I'm hoping for a global (not targeted) double night credit promotion :D

I would trade you some of your spend dollars for some of my night credits :D

uscgto Apr 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31014785)
The promo started not even a month ago, so ignoring the fact that the first stay did not earn any bonus, that means $7500 spend in less than 30 days = $250 per night if you have been in hotels all month and did not spread the wealth to other hotel chains. Or maybe a 10-night vacation splurge at $750 per night.

I am not doubting what you say, but I would simply note that you are probably at the high end of who benefited the most from the promo; you are not the norm and therefore I would not call the promo lucrative simply based on your experience. Of course anybody spending $5k+ in the promo month will benefit, but most Ambassador level guests spend $20-40k per year, not $5k per month (= $60k per year), let alone $7.5k per month. Not even mentioning the large number of guests below AMB level who are nowhere near that.

I have spent $2600 since the promo started and cutting out my first stay I am at $2k spend, so 20k bonus points... as far as I am concerned it's nothing to write home about bonus-wise, it's a good bonus but not over the top. And I am sure I benefited more than 95% of folks, yet you are almost at 4x my bonus so far... which means you are possibly in the 99.9 percentile. For the vast majority of people, this promo is just ok.

Maybe it's just semantics but for the fun of the discussion, for me to call a promo "lucrative" I need to see better than double points because all it's doing is giving you an extra 10% discount, approximately. A lucrative promo in my humble opinion is Hilton's occasional triple points promo, or Hyatt's promo a couple of years ago where 25 nights during the period netted you 75k points (= great value if you stay at cheap hotels). Or when Hilton had a stackable promo of double points + 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay, great if you have lots of 1-night stays, in fact it made some stays almost free. Those promos resulted in a discount of far more than 10%. Double points is a decent promo, but fairly average. I prefer a 10% discount to no discount, but it won't change my decisions for many stays.

You and I seem to be the same boat.
I spend 4-6 nights a week at category 2-3 hotels. So basically 22 or so nights a month.

excluding the first stay, I spent close to $2300 and that gave me ~ 29 nights but only 2300 x 10. so 23000 points.

Now, if Marriott was to offer mega points (75k bonus) for 25 nights or so, i'd be a happy camper.

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 31014026)
i have to admit that what you wrote sounds strange - i have never heard of people leaving an airline/travel brand not because of the quality, but exclusively because of their perception of other customers and the price that they feel these customers may have or may not have paid for the service. i'm not sure hotels and airlines should delve into dynamic pricing if such concerns are held by the majority of customers. the fact that everyone pays a different price on a plane and likewise at each property must cause you and others great concern - perhaps to the extent that you would do a survey and where you find the biggest variance, you could tell the brand that you're leaving them for this reason? i don't think so somehow. because typically you are more interested in the product and service than the inconsequentials that make little to no difference to your 'experience'.

it is fair to say that people don't want to pay more than they have to and if they see other people getting a freebie then they won't like it. i travel exclusively in business and first and yes, i understand this. american carriers are less popular with me because they give their loyal customers free upgrades. in fact there are often debates about whether economy people should be able to use facilities and i do think they should be pushed back to where they came from - but that's a separate debate.

with regards to your discussion about airline loyalty for error fares, then maybe i'm in the minority in selecting airlines based on my experience. if i got lucky with a cheap fare in business somewhere then in future i'm more likely to fly with that airline than someone i've never been with. similarly, there are now so many youtube, instagram, and other travel blogs that detail experience which provide many people who wouldn't ordinarily consider premium travel. you just need to look at the video views to see that the aspiration is there. for me, depending on the maths i'd pay the extra if i've had good experiences in that premium cabin before. and if i hadn't, i'd take a look on youtube etc. so you can see how the marketing works.. i really don't see premium customers leaving cathay because some people got a few cheap flights.

your discussion is simply you saying that there should be limited sales and prices should be high - that way people who are loyal don't feel disgruntled when they see others getting something for less. and while i can see that, it does just look to me like one side of a coin. marriott is simply not an elite brand and acting in such a way would just drag down its business. it would wait for the customers to arrive and they just wouldn't arrive without being incentivised.

you have a strange way of interpreting what I said. I am not concerned who paid what for his/her seat as long as my price does not increase to cover his/hers unnecessarily. When Cathay sold thousands of tickets in mistake, the availability of cheaper/award premium cabin decreases. As a cash paying customer for premium cabin, you bet I am not happy when my regular price increases by a few K. Cathay screws me to please someone who probably won’t pay for another premium seats.

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31014091)
You're missing my point: You said that MR sells points to anyone WITH money. My response is that it's generally people WITH LESS MONEY who are the ones buying points, not the ones with more money. Relatively poor people buy points, while rich people don't need to do so and probably won't bother.

My guess is quite a lot of Marriott customers are price-sensitive. If I can get a room cheaper by buying points, I will do it. There is no reason for me to pay more to enjoy the same.

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 31014123)
there are different ways of looking at value and worth, but typically it's how much someone is willing to pay for something.
this can be affected by the means with which they do this - currency, points, etc.
however, not everyone sees value in the same way, and not everyone's circumstances are the same.
what you've written seems to imply that value cannot be defined in terms of convenience, preference, and that variance in approach does not exist amongst customers.
hotels would typically have higher prices that increases nearer the date of stay.
as a loyal customer, i would be incentivised to stay by the convenience of booking points nearer the time as the points price of the stay may be less than the cash price. if i couldn't find value in the points price, then maybe my loyalty is not worth that much and i would just stay somewhere else.. similarly, if i was staying for business, the price wouldn't matter so much. in each case, the hotel would benefit by having a good price points deal and high rack rate.

From what you described, you are not looking for quality? Your choice is based on whether you can get a bargain. With more people buying more points cheaply, you are guaranteed to find less availability, so you move your loyalty away because points can be bought cheaply. Isn’t that what I said?

Also if you want to buy large amount of points with money, there isn’t much loyalty to speak of, right? Or you simply bought points, because they look good, no intention of using them?

Lookoutitzsean Apr 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Alright folks we’ve gotten too off topic...

I speculate that the next promo will be that you have to post when you got screwed by someone or something and use the hashtag #Bonvoyed to get 500 points after your second post during the promo period.

Oh oh and the catch is that the points will never post. :rolleyes:

kaizen7 Apr 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31014789)
I would trade you some of your spend dollars for some of my night credits :D

Maybe Marriott should make this as a feature for their Amb tier! ... exchange $ credit to night credit to another member (non related)

That would be very interesting feature for some :D

dgparent Apr 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I actually have seen the next promo, after you book you spin the wheel and get the prize you land on or a free spin, you must take the prize no exceptions and all hotels are participating here it is:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2b8f8280ef.png

escape4 Apr 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 31020533)
Maybe Marriott should make this as a feature for their Amb tier! ... exchange $ credit to night credit to another member (non related)

That would be very interesting feature for some :D

I wonder what the going "market rate" would be on that!

Newman Apr 21, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31009809)
Hello guys
I was wondering what could I expect from Marriott as regards potential upcoming promotion......

There is NO doubt that if the next promo would be a free lobster and champagne dinner with chocolate layer cake for dessert, there would still be complaints.
The chronic whiners and malcontents that knock the Bonvoy Rewards program at every turn would rush to their computer keyboards to criticize the size of the lobster, the vintage of the champagne, or the number of layers in the cake....... then after all of the huffing and puffing, threaten to leave the program - which they never do.
It's become all too predictable and comical....

Newman

escape4 Apr 21, 2019 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 31022200)
then after all of the huffing and puffing, threaten to leave the program - which they never do.

I agree with a lot of what you say, except that this time a non-negligible number of FTers have pulled the trigger and have not had a paid stay at Marriott properties for many months. So it has not just been talk this time around, there have been actions taken.

mahasamatman Apr 21, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31022207)
a non-negligible number of FTers have pulled the trigger and have not had a paid stay at Marriott properties for many months.

Non-negligible to whom? It's a drop in the bucket, and I doubt that Marriott has even noticed.

kaizen7 Apr 21, 2019 9:16 am

Bonvoy have 120 million members .....
Assuming (very random assumption) that only 10% of these numbers are active members .... the number still clocked 12 millions members

If there are 120 thousand members say Bonvoyed to Bonvoy, that only 1% of assumed active members .

Would be interesting to know the actual structure of Bonvoy

How many members - active members - silver - gold - platinums - titaniums - ambassadors out there

Oxon Flyer Apr 21, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 31022200)
It's become all too predictable

As is the over-repetition of the ‘whiners and malcontents’ theme across numerous threads.

Let’s focus on discussing the next promotion, not taking potshots at the character of the forum. @:-)

uscgto Apr 22, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 31022533)
As is the over-repetition of the ‘whiners and malcontents’ theme across numerous threads.

Let’s focus on discussing the next promotion, not taking potshots at the character of the forum. @:-)

+1

I am thinking either Marriott will extend the present promotion.

Or

Introduce something more in-line with the summer travel. Possibly stay based instead of night based.

kaizen7 Apr 22, 2019 8:35 am

My guess :
Global promotions will be something related to points ...... triple points on select locations ... or n times point after n stays

sdsearch Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31025014)
I am thinking either Marriott will extend the present promotion.

That's unthinkable (for them). That way they'd be giving you double points for your first stay in the extended period.

Obviously, what they'd rather do is stop this promo and start a new identical promo, so that they can have yet another "first" stay on which you don't get double points.

But I hope Marriott doesn't do what US Bank gave me for a promo on my Biz Radisson card: It was spend $5000, then only after that, get double the normal points for some limited time. I'd hate to see Marriott go from no double points on the first stay, to no double point until starting with your 15th night during the promo period, or something like that. Ie, the most feeble promo earnings with the most serious promo restrictions on earning.

escape4 Apr 22, 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31022395)
Non-negligible to whom? It's a drop in the bucket, and I doubt that Marriott has even noticed.

Well among other things, non-negligible according to what Hilton says about the number of new guests / members from other hotel chains (= Marriott)

BaconSF Apr 23, 2019 4:32 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 31022207)
I agree with a lot of what you say, except that this time a non-negligible number of FTers have pulled the trigger and have not had a paid stay at Marriott properties for many months. So it has not just been talk this time around, there have been actions taken.

My coworkers and I definitely moved our stays from Marriott over to Hyatt due to all the IT issues resulting in missing points/stays. Roughly 80 days/year.

AbuCordoba May 12, 2019 1:25 am

Any news on the next worldwide promotion

Anyone have any idea on what and when the next worldwide promotion will be?

I need to book a hotel for a week from May 31st to June 8th and I believe the current promotion ends on June 4th.

joakgarp May 12, 2019 1:46 am

Yeah I was wondering about that too. Planning a longer holiday middle of june until july so a promo would be very nice from Marriott. I guess they will wait out the current one on 4/6 and a week later launch a new one? I hope..

margarita girl May 12, 2019 4:09 am

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba (Post 31092221)
Anyone have any idea on what and when the next worldwide promotion will be?

I need to book a hotel for a week from May 31st to June 8th and I believe the current promotion ends on June 4th.

1) No one knows the answer to that.
2) It’s unlikely that a new promo would start the day after the first one ends.
3) The good news is you’re already covered by the existing double pts promo. Just look at the FAQ in the wiki. :)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-5-mar.html#

AbuCordoba May 12, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31092464)

1) No one knows the answer to that.
2) It’s unlikely that a new promo would start the day after the first one ends.
3) The good news is you’re already covered by the existing double pts promo. Just look at the FAQ in the wiki. :)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-5-mar.html#

Thank you for th link! Is the FAQ provided by Marriott? as I couldn't find the same wording in Marriott T+C's.

I was hoping Marriott would do like Hilton and have a promotion that starts the day after the old one expires but I guess not!

margarita girl May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba (Post 31092844)
Thank you for th link! Is the FAQ provided by Marriott? as I couldn't find the same wording in Marriott T+C's.

I was hoping Marriott would do like Hilton and have a promotion that starts the day after the old one expires but I guess not!

The FAQ answers were provided by the Starwood Lurkers (sorry, they will always be the Starwood Lurkers to me)!

Too_Fly1 May 27, 2019 6:51 am

Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ?

Any word or the likelihood of any promotions after the June 4th date? I have a lot of paid stays on the second half of the month.

yorkboy24 Jun 3, 2019 7:19 am

Any idea when the next promotion will start? Is there usually a gap of a few weeks from this one finishing?

txpenny Jun 3, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24 (Post 31165535)
Any idea when the next promotion will start? Is there usually a gap of a few weeks from this one finishing?

There is usually a gap of a few weeks in between promos.

Jerry Vandesic Jun 6, 2019 9:35 pm

New promotion for June?

Now that the Double Take promotion ended on June 4, is there anything new taking its place?

mahasamatman Jun 6, 2019 9:41 pm

When something is announced, it will probably appear here before the general public finds out about it.

Saidoh Jun 7, 2019 7:34 am

When I logged into my account yesterday, I was able to register for a promotion valid thru 9/30 where I get 1500 points on my next paid stay, and 3000 for the next paid stay after that, for a grand total of a whopping 4500 points.

MePlatPremier Jun 7, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Saidoh (Post 31179399)
When I logged into my account yesterday, I was able to register for a promotion valid thru 9/30 where I get 1500 points on my next paid stay, and 3000 for the next paid stay after that, for a grand total of a whopping 4500 points.

that’s probably a select promo. hopefully the next general promo will be a redo of the last one, double points on every stay, no property exclusions. wishful thinking...

Jerry Vandesic Jun 9, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny (Post 31166049)
There is usually a gap of a few weeks in between promos.

That's unfortunate. I just cancelled a three day stay this week and rebooked at Hilton to take advantage of their double points offer. While Hilton has its problems, at least they schedule the promotions back-to-back.

Mr. Vker Jun 9, 2019 5:05 pm

You don't get 4500 points for your 3rd stay-total of 9000? That's what mine is.

Cll1881 Jun 9, 2019 5:59 pm

This is the same promo I received.

nufnuf77 Jun 9, 2019 10:51 pm

I cancelled my Marriott june stays and rebooked at Hilton, can't bear the basic earning...

Kacee Jun 9, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerry Vandesic (Post 31186497)
I just cancelled a three day stay this week and rebooked at Hilton to take advantage of their double points offer.

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 31187202)
I cancelled my Marriott june stays and rebooked at Hilton, can't bear the basic earning...

IMO 30 Hilton are worth less than 17.5 Marriott.

Not to mention Hilton just stealth devalued again.

Keyser Jun 9, 2019 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 31186570)
You don't get 4500 points for your 3rd stay-total of 9000? That's what mine is.

lots of people have received different variations of this promo....

Kacee Jun 9, 2019 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 31187249)
lots of people have received different variations of this promo....

And many of us got nothing.

Though I'm not complaining after my double double-up promo.