FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1965800-next-bonvoy-global-promotion-after-4-june-2019-a.html)

uscgto Apr 17, 2019 6:57 am

Next Bonvoy global promotion after 4 June 2019 ?

Hello guys

I was wondering what could I expect from Marriott as regards potential upcoming promotion, once the "double points" end on 2nd June.

You could call it simple speculation. But based on what Marriott has offered before, or based on what Hilton, Hyatt have offered, you guys would be the most eligible lot to assist in the "speculation". It's on this forum that the most seasoned members respond and would have an idea of what it could be.

I am thinking they might extend the double point? Or perhaps, they might introduce 1 free night for every 4 nights stayed promotion. I dont know, just thinking out loud..

LovetoTravel83 Apr 17, 2019 7:07 am

What I expect is that sometime in the next 3 months, we will see an announcement of the next promo.

uscgto Apr 17, 2019 7:10 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 31009843)
What I expect is that sometime in the next 3 months, we will see an announcement of the next promo.

All I asked for was your opinion with slight speculation injected in there somewhere...
But it's okay, Mornings can be slow for some people.. :)

MSPeconomist Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am

So far Bonvoy doesn't hasn't been doing imaginative or strong promos, so I would expect 500 points per eligible paid stay of 2+ nights after your first eligible paid stay of 2+ nights.

nachosdelux Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am

they seem to like tiered point bonuses after set number of stays, e.g. 5000 points after 5 stays, 10000 after 10, or something like that

Kacee Apr 17, 2019 7:51 am

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed :)

uscgto Apr 17, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31009869)
So far Bonvoy doesn't hasn't been doing imaginative or strong promos, so I would expect 500 points per eligible paid stay of 2+ nights after your first eligible paid stay of 2+ nights.

That'd suck for me since I typically spend 4-5 nights (1 week) at each property for business. I mean, at $150 a night, the points I gather at titanium are 5 x 150 x 10 x 1.75 (titanium) + 5 x 150 x 6 (credit card) = 13125 + 4500 = 17625. So 500 points would be less than a fraction of what I would accrue normally.

lol.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 31009983)
they seem to like tiered point bonuses after set number of stays, e.g. 5000 points after 5 stays, 10000 after 10, or something like that

I hope they either anchor it off based on nights or evaluate the bonus based on points accrued during the stay.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31009990)
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed :)

That's a good starting point.

Problem is I have gotten used to expecting more with the double point promotion. lol.

I think I have been accruing close to 8000 points every week ever since this started and it'll probably be the same until the promo ends.

paolo64 Apr 17, 2019 8:04 am

Yes, and I don’t get the logic in that approach . What is it about ‘stays’ rather than ‘nights’ ?( surely the bottom line is the same , regardless). It’s not only Marriott, other chains have the same ‘stays’ requirement in some promos.

uscgto Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by paolo64 (Post 31010043)

Yes, and I don’t get the logic in that approach . What is it about ‘stays’ rather than ‘nights’ ?( surely the bottom line is the same , regardless). It’s not only Marriott, other chains have the same ‘stays’ requirement in some promos.

Lemme answer that.

hypothetical situations

1) As a heavy user, You typically stay on 4-5 nights and spend 130-160 / night for a total stay value of 4 x 150 = $600

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 4 nights
- Marriott paid by the stay - they would be paying bonus for only 1 stay
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $600

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on stay.

2) As a heavy or high end user, You typically stay on 1-2 nights and spend 300-400/ night for a total stay value of 2 x 350 = $700

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 2 nights
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $700

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on number of stays.

3) As a infrequent user, You typically stay on category 1-2 for 2 night and spend 90-110 of ~ 2 x 100 = $200

Now if
- Marriott paid by the night - they would be paying bonus for 2 nights
- Marriott paid by the $ - they would be paying bonus for $200

So cheapest for them is to stick with stay and offer bonus dependent on number of stays.

Cledaybuck Apr 17, 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by paolo64 (Post 31010043)

Because once they have you at their property of night one of a multi night stay in a certain location, most people are unlikely to change properties.

MSPeconomist Apr 17, 2019 9:38 am

Sometimes this is Hyatt's game plan, although it's based on nights rather than stays.

Old Hickory Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am

Expect gripes and complaints.

myperks Apr 17, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Old Hickory (Post 31010445)
Expect gripes and complaints.

don’t expect, it has already started.

bgrizzled Apr 17, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31009869)

I concur with this estimate based on the past and that we are coming into the busier travel season.

uscgto Apr 17, 2019 11:51 am

I think if it happens to get that low - I'll start using my AMEX Platinum to book hotels.

Collierkr Apr 17, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31009852)
All I asked for was your opinion with slight speculation injected in there somewhere...
But it's okay, Mornings can be slow for some people.. :)

You might as well ask us if we think it will rain tomorrow... a complete guess and a complete waste of our time. Seems like you answered your own question anyway.

sdsearch Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31009809)
But based on what Marriott has offered before

Up to now they haven't done what they've done for years before, so I see no reason to expect that the next promo will be based on long-term Marriott history either.

Just the very recent history. It'll probably expect a promo (based on the last 2 public promos) where the first stay counts for nothing and you only start earning whatever with your second stay.

And it's hard to tell whether they'll even focus on public promos, or shift more to targeted promos like the diverse batch in February.

Remember, this is a new program, so it's not necessarily gong to anything quite like the two or three programs (Marriott, Ritz,and SPG) that preceded it. They may have gotten a big head about being a big program and decided they want to do promos differently than when they were a smaller (set of) program(s).

C17PSGR Apr 17, 2019 4:37 pm

I think the fall promotion was exceptionally poorly designed and poorly received.

The current one seems to be more rewarding with double points and targeted incentives. That seems to be a recognition that the incentive is to make members happy, as opposed to driving behavior.

I'd guess he next one will be more focused on trying to drive some behavior. Hopefully, it won't be based on something Arne heard from hanging around people in Davos or from someone telling him they heard something on a blog ....

RoxyMountain Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I expect there will be an announcement of a promo.......but the link will not work and nobody will be able to sign up
:D

RollAnotherFatOne Apr 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31009809)
Hello guys

I was wondering what could I expect from Marriott as regards potential upcoming promotion, once the "double points" end on 2nd June.

You could call it simple speculation. But based on what Marriott has offered before, or based on what Hilton, Hyatt have offered, you guys would be the most eligible lot to assist in the "speculation". It's on this forum that the most seasoned members respond and would have an idea of what it could be.

I am thinking they might extend the double point? Or perhaps, they might introduce 1 free night for every 4 nights stayed promotion. I dont know, just thinking out loud..

it's all downhill. latest offering for purchasing points is absurd. don't really see what they're doing other than cheapening the brand. spg was miles ahead...

mahasamatman Apr 17, 2019 7:23 pm

The days of lucrative promos are long gone. Expect next to nothing and take what you get.

freed0m Apr 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 31012191)
it's all downhill. latest offering for purchasing points is absurd. don't really see what they're doing other than cheapening the brand. spg was miles ahead...

SPG routinely sold points for 35% discount, max 30K(equals 90K Marriott points). How could the way SPG sold point be better than Marriott without cheapening the brand? This is the first time I can remember that Marriott sold points at discount and with max 50K.

RollAnotherFatOne Apr 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31012272)
SPG routinely sold points for 35% discount, max 30K(equals 90K Marriott points). How could the way SPG sold point be better than Marriott without cheapening the brand? This is the first time I can remember that Marriott sold points at discount and with max 50K.

Because by selling points at a ridiculously poor rate, it's utterly pointless and alienating it's loyal customers.
This is a 50% mark up when you consider the 1:3 ratio between spg and marriott.
It would be stretching things a little bit to call this a betrayal but sneaking in such mark up wouldn't make me want to trust this brand - which is what quality branding is about.

admittedly there's more to it than that, but rises in everything doesn't make things more premium when you're looking at hitting loyal members. rises have been seen across all of the rewards catalogue, from event redemptions, to travel certificates, to rooms etc. while you get devaluations all the time, and they have provided notice about the some of these, it's still an across the board increase without any quality improvement. for me that pushing the price up in an 'apple-style way' is not making it more premium. it's making it less desirable and i'd be more concerned about what undesirable cost cutting measures will be put in place.

freed0m Apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 31012319)
Because by selling points at a ridiculously poor rate, it's utterly pointless and alienating it's loyal customers.
This is a 50% mark up when you consider the 1:3 ratio between spg and marriott.
It would be stretching things a little bit to call this a betrayal but sneaking in such mark up wouldn't make me want to trust this brand - which is what quality branding is about.

admittedly there's more to it than that, but rises in everything doesn't make things more premium when you're looking at hitting loyal members. rises have been seen across all of the rewards catalogue, from event redemptions, to travel certificates, to rooms etc. while you get devaluations all the time, and they have provided notice about the some of these, it's still an across the board increase without any quality improvement. for me that pushing the price up in an 'apple-style way' is not making it more premium. it's making it less desirable and i'd be more concerned about what undesirable cost cutting measures will be put in place.

help me understand that Marriott sells points cheaply does not cheapen the brands. Maybe Marriott should try to give every member 1 million points for free and let everyone redeem whatever hotels they want. Yeah, that will not cheapen the brands.

Loyal customers earn their points, not purchase points. Only cheap customers purchase large amount of points because they can't earn enough.

RollAnotherFatOne Apr 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31012363)
help me understand that Marriott sells points cheaply does not cheapen the brands. Maybe Marriott should try to give every member 1 million points for free and let everyone redeem whatever hotels they want. Yeah, that will not cheapen the brands.

Loyal customers earn their points, not purchase points. Only cheap customers purchase large amount of points because they can't earn enough.

because there's a long and short game. you're looking at a limited short game. that's like saying airlines that honour error fares go bust.. never seen that contribute. in fact, honouring error fares is a great way to market their product and get people interacting and experiencing the product.
selling points cheaply and often, regularly would cheapen the brand to some extent, depending on how often this happened and how aggressively they sold them. however, the price is so inflated (to start off with) vs their true value that rarely does it make sense to buy the points at such prices. simply making them more expensive cuts off a revenue stream, increases the need to find profitability elsewhere and results in further cost cutting, higher marketing budgets etc. it's nonsense to suggest that cheap rather than loyal customers buy points because points can only be redeemed with that brand. in other words, as soon as the points are bought, there is instant profit, which may or may not be cashed in. do you think shops would offer giftcards for sale if it there wasn't opportunity in there, and why would they be discounted? loyalty does matter.

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne (Post 31012718)
because there's a long and short game. you're looking at a limited short game. that's like saying airlines that honour error fares go bust.. never seen that contribute. in fact, honouring error fares is a great way to market their product and get people interacting and experiencing the product.
selling points cheaply and often, regularly would cheapen the brand to some extent, depending on how often this happened and how aggressively they sold them. however, the price is so inflated (to start off with) vs their true value that rarely does it make sense to buy the points at such prices. simply making them more expensive cuts off a revenue stream, increases the need to find profitability elsewhere and results in further cost cutting, higher marketing budgets etc. it's nonsense to suggest that cheap rather than loyal customers buy points because points can only be redeemed with that brand. in other words, as soon as the points are bought, there is instant profit, which may or may not be cashed in. do you think shops would offer giftcards for sale if it there wasn't opportunity in there, and why would they be discounted? loyalty does matter.

The airlines that honor error fares alienate their loyal paying customers. If it helps, every airline should honor them. There are more airlines which don't give a .... about error fare.

Just ask those loyal Cathay paying customers. How many have left Cathay because there aren't enough "cheaper" seats? Cathay gains more customers who will not ever pay for another premium seats, by losing some who will pay for premium seats. Yeah. great strategy.

As a loyal paying customer, why would I ever want to compete with anyone who does not pay cash, but simply purchasing points cheaply? I can always give my business to whoever values my business and stay in Marriott with points purchased cheaply. Marriott certainly does not value my loyalty by selling points cheaply to anyone with money.

MSPeconomist Apr 18, 2019 3:41 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31012958)
The airlines that honor error fares alienate their loyal paying customers. If it helps, every airline should honor them. There are more airlines which don't give a .... about error fare.

Just ask those loyal Cathay paying customers. How many have left Cathay because there aren't enough "cheaper" seats? Cathay gains more customers who will not ever pay for another premium seats, by losing some who will pay for premium seats. Yeah. great strategy.

As a loyal paying customer, why would I ever want to compete with anyone who does not pay cash, but simply purchasing points cheaply? I can always give my business to whoever values my business and stay in Marriott with points purchased cheaply. Marriott certainly does not value my loyalty by selling points cheaply to anyone with money.

Aren't they selling those points cheaply to anyone *without* money? Many people who can afford to stay in these hotels would just book a room and not bother with purchasing points during the sales and then redeeming for award nights.

AbuCordoba Apr 18, 2019 4:13 am

The thing that gripes me is not the value of the points, its the limit of 50K, why impose the limit? or at least such a low one, why not offer something that people can really utilise such as 250K even if it costs thousands of dollars at least offer an increased cap.

Many people will purchase not to redeem in hotels but to transfer for airlines or use for marriott moments (at least I will)!

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 4:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31013085)
Aren't they selling those points cheaply to anyone *without* money? Many people who can afford to stay in these hotels would just book a room and not bother with purchasing points during the sales and then redeeming for award nights.

Let me explain this way.

Marriott rewards loyalty in two ways: 1. Elite benefit 2. Marriott points. The value of Marriott points depends on how much per point you can acquire large amount of points. If Marriott sells points at 0.5 cents in large quantity, the most value you can get out of Marriott point is 0.5 cents per point. Any higher value than that will be driven down by people keeping purchasing points. So when Marriott sells points at a lower price, it screws its loyal paying customers with reduced point value.

I, as a loyal paying customer, will take my business elsewhere my loyalty is valued.

freed0m Apr 18, 2019 4:56 am

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba (Post 31013137)
The thing that gripes me is not the value of the points, its the limit of 50K, why impose the limit? or at least such a low one, why not offer something that people can really utilise such as 250K even if it costs thousands of dollars at least offer an increased cap.

Many people will purchase not to redeem in hotels but to transfer for airlines or use for marriott moments (at least I will)!

The only reason that people purchase points to redeem anything is that it is cheaper through points.

The value of points depends on how much per point you can acquire a large amount of points. If Marriott sells points in large enough quantity, it indirectly sets the max value of its points. Why would Marriott want to do that? Screwing its loyal paying customers by reducing point value?

That Marriott only sells one member max 50K points, in a way, tells that Marriott sees its point can be redeemed at more than 1 cent per point.

UA-NYC Apr 18, 2019 8:59 am

Lucrative promos aren't long gone...just long gone w/Marriott

Voodoo Daddy Apr 18, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31011799)
That seems to be a recognition that the incentive is to make members happy, as opposed to driving behavior.

If you believe this, I have some real estate I'd like to talk to you about...

MePlatPremier Apr 18, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31013827)

The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...

RollAnotherFatOne Apr 18, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31012958)

i have to admit that what you wrote sounds strange - i have never heard of people leaving an airline/travel brand not because of the quality, but exclusively because of their perception of other customers and the price that they feel these customers may have or may not have paid for the service. i'm not sure hotels and airlines should delve into dynamic pricing if such concerns are held by the majority of customers. the fact that everyone pays a different price on a plane and likewise at each property must cause you and others great concern - perhaps to the extent that you would do a survey and where you find the biggest variance, you could tell the brand that you're leaving them for this reason? i don't think so somehow. because typically you are more interested in the product and service than the inconsequentials that make little to no difference to your 'experience'.

it is fair to say that people don't want to pay more than they have to and if they see other people getting a freebie then they won't like it. i travel exclusively in business and first and yes, i understand this. american carriers are less popular with me because they give their loyal customers free upgrades. in fact there are often debates about whether economy people should be able to use facilities and i do think they should be pushed back to where they came from - but that's a separate debate.

with regards to your discussion about airline loyalty for error fares, then maybe i'm in the minority in selecting airlines based on my experience. if i got lucky with a cheap fare in business somewhere then in future i'm more likely to fly with that airline than someone i've never been with. similarly, there are now so many youtube, instagram, and other travel blogs that detail experience which provide many people who wouldn't ordinarily consider premium travel. you just need to look at the video views to see that the aspiration is there. for me, depending on the maths i'd pay the extra if i've had good experiences in that premium cabin before. and if i hadn't, i'd take a look on youtube etc. so you can see how the marketing works.. i really don't see premium customers leaving cathay because some people got a few cheap flights.

your discussion is simply you saying that there should be limited sales and prices should be high - that way people who are loyal don't feel disgruntled when they see others getting something for less. and while i can see that, it does just look to me like one side of a coin. marriott is simply not an elite brand and acting in such a way would just drag down its business. it would wait for the customers to arrive and they just wouldn't arrive without being incentivised.

MSPeconomist Apr 18, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31013189)
Let me explain this way.

Marriott rewards loyalty in two ways: 1. Elite benefit 2. Marriott points. The value of Marriott points depends on how much per point you can acquire large amount of points. If Marriott sells points at 0.5 cents in large quantity, the most value you can get out of Marriott point is 0.5 cents per point. Any higher value than that will be driven down by people keeping purchasing points. So when Marriott sells points at a lower price, it screws its loyal paying customers with reduced point value.

I, as a loyal paying customer, will take my business elsewhere my loyalty is valued.

You're missing my point: You said that MR sells points to anyone WITH money. My response is that it's generally people WITH LESS MONEY who are the ones buying points, not the ones with more money. Relatively poor people buy points, while rich people don't need to do so and probably won't bother.

RollAnotherFatOne Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by freed0m (Post 31013194)
The only reason that people purchase points to redeem anything is that it is cheaper through points.

The value of points depends on how much per point you can acquire a large amount of points. If Marriott sells points in large enough quantity, it indirectly sets the max value of its points. Why would Marriott want to do that? Screwing its loyal paying customers by reducing point value?

That Marriott only sells one member max 50K points, in a way, tells that Marriott sees its point can be redeemed at more than 1 cent per point.

there are different ways of looking at value and worth, but typically it's how much someone is willing to pay for something.
this can be affected by the means with which they do this - currency, points, etc.
however, not everyone sees value in the same way, and not everyone's circumstances are the same.
what you've written seems to imply that value cannot be defined in terms of convenience, preference, and that variance in approach does not exist amongst customers.
hotels would typically have higher prices that increases nearer the date of stay.
as a loyal customer, i would be incentivised to stay by the convenience of booking points nearer the time as the points price of the stay may be less than the cash price. if i couldn't find value in the points price, then maybe my loyalty is not worth that much and i would just stay somewhere else.. similarly, if i was staying for business, the price wouldn't matter so much. in each case, the hotel would benefit by having a good price points deal and high rack rate.

C17PSGR Apr 18, 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 31013880)
The current Double Points promo has already netted me some 75k points—if that’s not lucrative, I don’t know what is...

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy (Post 31013853)
If you believe this, I have some real estate I'd like to talk to you about...

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31013827)

This is the best Marriott promo in quite a while, from a guest perspective. Very simple and very lucrative. I've probably earned more already than in the last three or four promos combined.

I don't see much thought into this promo, which is why I think its just to try to dial back the noise with a simple easy promo.

uscgto Apr 18, 2019 11:33 am

correct. I don't even spend a lot ($700 or so a week) and in last 4 weeks, I have managed to get close to 30k points thanks to promotion.. another 25k plus as titanium bonus and a base of 30k plus points ..add the credit card spend and it's a 100k month. expect the next 2 be similar.

and so I think perhaps it'll be hard to match a promotion as lucrative as this.

C17PSGR Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31014393)
correct. I don't even spend a lot ($700 or so a week) and in last 4 weeks, I have managed to get close to 30k points thanks to promotion.. another 25k plus as titanium bonus and a base of 30k plus points ..add the credit card spend and it's a 100k month. expect the next 2 be similar.

and so I think perhaps it'll be hard to match a promotion as lucrative as this.

Exactly. I can't remember another Marriott promo where lots of people were getting 75-150k in points from a promo.

A good promo needs to drive consumer behavior, such as a decent bonus to try different brands. For example, the 10k for 10 brands was a good idea. The 29k for 29 brands was stupid because no one could do it and it wasn't much of a bennie anyway.

The two night stay requirement in the last one was difficult and irritated Marriott's best guests. It was driven by Arne hearing about a blog talking about getting multi plat bonuses by switching hotels.

sdsearch Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

You're presumably staying at expensive properties (perhaps reimbursed by work)?

2x promos are lucrative only for people who either stay at a hotel almost every night of the promo anyway, and/or stay at expensive properties.

They're not all lucrative for people who stay in cheap suburban properties (either because they're on their own dime and/or just because that's where they need to stay anyway) and only a few nights a week at most. For those people, 25000 bonus points for 10 nights would be way more lucrative (especially if they can shift the rest of their stays to other hotel programs with other "lucrative" promos), while for the people who stay at expensive properties and stay lots of nights anyway it may be less lucrative.

So "lucrative" is often in the eyes of the beholder.