Search

Walked from Hotel mid-stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by fadippides
Thanks for any opinions.
I might have been inclined to stay. Let them call the police. You had checkin documents reflecting your entire stay and the terms of your stay, too. That they changed ownership is not your problem.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
They only learned of the reflagging after OP checked in???
Yes, that's entirely possible. Owners negotiating for sale but keeping things quiet in case the sale doesn't go through.
wrp96 and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by jxd
The StR aspen, Al maha fiasco, and now this. And we're not even in the middle of 2019 yet. Just how low can Marriott get? They really do want guests to say "bon voy-age" to them don't they?
Since bonvoy 10x more emails (most irrelevant to me) and 1x less service. LTE status doesn't mean much.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:25 am

You have to understand the Marriott agents have almost NOTHING to work with on these high dollar issues. The "let me speak to your supervisor" level agents have a cap of ~30,000 pts/~$175(I wont give the exact amount lest people expect that every single time they feel remotely slighted) to resolve issues with. If your issue cannot be resolved with that it flat out will not/cannot be handled "immediately". Especially after hours when all the actual supervisors go home. When you call at 3am because you got walked, agents hands have already been tied before you even got on the phone. That ultimate reservation guarantee: you better read those t&c carefully. Once you leave the property you aren't owed ..... Customer service can't give it to you after the fact so you better get it at property or you arent getting it. A case can be opened and escalated but no one in any of the call centers has that level of empowerment. At least not that has been advised to the poor .......s having to take your call. Surely someone can but they're not there at 10pm or even 8:30pm. So save your "do you know who I am?" for someone that hasn't heard it 15 times that shift alone. Yes, they know you're upset, they weren't the ones that walked you. Don't you think if they had the power to resolve it immediately they would? You think they enjoy hearing you go on and on about the injustice of it all? Here's a hint, they're not rewarded for helping you in any way. They're only rewarded for making reservations and getting you off the phone so the next person can be helped.

Believe it or not the agents mostly WANT to help you. But decisions made long before your call by people who will never hear your complaint have tied their hands and most feel as helpless/powerless as you do. Ambassador level guests get walked, what do you think that does for the odds of a regular person not having it happen to them? Agents cannot just call and force you upon another property. It doesn't matter that it's a Marriott property. I've been privy to hotels of the same brand in the same city unable or unwilling to take another's guests for any number of reasons none of which were availability. You feel you're owed a room at the same price as you booked(and you are) however the owner of that Marriott property down the street, they're able to get 2 or 300 more for the same room, they don't owe you anything. You didn't book with them. They have no obligation to take you at that rate. Sometimes they're team players and will work with the agent to make something happen. Sometimes they've got their own problems and the first property's overbooking isn't one of them. The agent on the phone has no leverage. No power. That's the reality on the ground, in the trenches.

Btw those of you that understand these realities and don't take it out on the agent, you are so appreciated and truly are what enables the agents to keep taking those calls. They're feeling your frustration/anger/whatever often times they're just utterly unable to do anything meaningful about it once their empowerment caps are hit. Agents in most cases are on your side and want to help you. For those agents that are worthless and unhelpful I truly apologize but most are just working within the constraints of the rules put upon them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:35 am

Isn't it illegal in most states to force someone from a room they've paid for assuming there's no payment or safety issues? I truly don't know but I'd think they would be on really shaky ground and especially since they told you you were good to go at check in.

That is what has always cracked me up about the people who think a printed confirmation email means anything. Read the T&C they say pretty much anything about anything can be changed at any time and you agree to it. It's not right not "fair" but as most people are taught from a very early age, life isnt fair. You're a single person, they're the hotel...unfortunately in most cases they've got the power and you're kind of at their mercy. All you can really do is hope for the best and hope to get made whole in the end. Most people aren't going to get themselves arrested just to make a point or try to keep a hotel room and the owners know that too. Terrible way to start a new hotel though...not new but newly owned.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by thebackcourse
You have to understand the Marriott agents have almost NOTHING to work with on these high dollar issues. The "let me speak to your supervisor" level agents have a cap of ~30,000 pts/~$175(I wont give the exact amount lest people expect that every single time they feel remotely slighted) to resolve issues with. If your issue cannot be resolved with that it flat out will not/cannot be handled "immediately". Especially after hours when all the actual supervisors go home. When you call at 3am because you got walked, agents hands have already been tied before you even got on the phone. That ultimate reservation guarantee: you better read those t&c carefully. Once you leave the property you aren't owed ..... Customer service can't give it to you after the fact so you better get it at property or you arent getting it. A case can be opened and escalated but no one in any of the call centers has that level of empowerment. At least not that has been advised to the poor .......s having to take your call. Surely someone can but they're not there at 10pm or even 8:30pm.
Unfortunately, I've had these kind of experiences, what you all "after-hours," with Delta. Despite being a global airline operating flights 24/7 with departures and landings in multiple time zones, as I understand it from my experiences, there aren't supervisors with any power after-hours, especially if you have baggage-related issues. It's very frustrating.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Without the original poster naming the now-former property call me very suspicious. Especially when the original poster says things like this (emphasis added):

It wasn't a particularly good hotel and had many warts, but the family wasn't with me so I could deal with things like some mold in the bathrooms, worn carpets, etc... It was a category 1 so the points stretched a bit further.
Oh yeah, this was his first post to Flyer Talk since 2011.

And back in 2011, he was complaining about a Fairfield property. See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16885486-post1.html
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:53 am
jxd

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Without the original poster naming the now-former property call me very suspicious. Especially when the original poster says things like this (emphasis added):

And back in 2011, he was complaining about a Fairfield property. See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16885486-post1.html
doesn't change the fact he got walked mid stay and had to fight with marriott to get them to do anything about it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jxd
doesn't change the fact he got walked mid stay and had to fight with marriott to get them to do anything about it.
IF "he got walked mid stay and had to fight with marriott to get them to do anything about it."
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jxd
We have no idea if he was, in fact, walked mid-stay or whether Marriott did anything.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IF "he got walked mid stay and had to fight with marriott to get them to do anything about it."
Exactly.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should try to check local innkeeper laws regarding whether a guest can be kicked out after check in. As others have suggested, in most places in the USA this is not permitted, although the rules can be more strict if kids or cold weather/winter season is involved. However, what the hotel can generally do is to charge the person rack rate if someone tries to stay, for example, beyond the end of the reservation.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The stay was at a Fairfield Inn in Hopewell VA. I was walked midstay (or told I could pay with a credit card after my points had already been taken as payment upon checkin)
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hockeyinsider, I appreciate the skepticism, and being that this is the Internet, there really is no other way to prove it without posting the reservations which I am unwilling to do. I have named the hotel, but that still really doesn't prove anything. As noted, I tend to lurk and not post as I am sure do a large percentage of people. Most issues are handled without needing to post here, things such as lack of water, bugs in the room, etc. I really only post if I need additional insight into policy or if I my expectations are too high.
JBauer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP should try to check local innkeeper laws regarding whether a guest can be kicked out after check in. As others have suggested, in most places in the USA this is not permitted, although the rules can be more strict if kids or cold weather/winter season is involved. However, what the hotel can generally do is to charge the person rack rate if someone tries to stay, for example, beyond the end of the reservation.
I never thought to check the local Innkeepers law which is something I can keep in mind in the future if this ever happens again. This is several weeks after the issue, so it wouldn't help now.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fadippides
I never thought to check the local Innkeepers law which is something I can keep in mind in the future if this ever happens again. This is several weeks after the issue, so it wouldn't help now.
The local innkeeper laws might give you the right to receive some compensation for the hotel violating the law or alternatively you might be able to cause trouble for the property with some state/local regulatory or licensing agency.

I'm curious about exactly when a hotel receives payment for an award stay. If the hotel is paid when the guest checks in, then I would assume that you had a prepaid stay for the entire length of your reservation. OTOH, if the hotel only receives payment at the conclusion of your stay, IANAL but this could make a difference; it could also be the case that Starriott will not or does not pay for award stays for nights after a hotel leaves the program.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry about your situation. I think most of the reports here are that hotels that reflag have recognized award reservations even after reflagging but don't provide elite benefits. Among other things, its just good common sense. If they don't want to do it, however, I'm not sure there is anything Marriott can do. I'm surprised they would hire all new staff. Its amazing a GM could be so short sighted.

Any idea who the management company is that operates the property now? I suspect they might be willing to do something. Is there a tripadvisor for the new property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.