Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eCertificate for stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
eCertificate for stay?

Sorry for the dumb question. Longtime SPG, first time MR...I did search, but did not find this basic question/answer.

I've got a points stay coming up next weekend. On the info page of my confirmation on my iPhone using the app, it has a "eCertificate required prior to check in". Where is this? I have the reservation stored in my Wallet, too, but no mention of an eCertificate. I know with SPG, there is a cert sent between SPG and the hotel and the guest does not need to worry.

what happens with MR? Do I need to worry that I don't have an eCert? Nothing like waiting until the last minute to figure out things
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:30 pm

If you book with points you can complete the reservation without enough. It will say you need to attach an e-certificate.
If you booked with points amd had enough this is a moot point.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:34 pm

As mentioned above, Marriott lets you "hold" reservations even if you don't have enough points in your account. Once you get enough points, an E-certificate will be issued. Sometimes you have to call to make sure they do it. If you already had enough points to begin with, usually an E-certificate will be sent to the hotel automatically once you book the reservation. If you're concerned you can always call Marriott to make sure it has been done. If it's a new property that hasn't opened yet and you book with points they will mail you a physical certificate that you have to give to the hotel directly. Not sure what your situation is.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
what am I missing here?

Transferred Starpoints into my MR account for a cat 7 award stay. Now have 37K points in account, need 35K, check.

Make award reservation; all looks good, except 1) points aren't actually withdrawn from my account, and 2) getting the yellow flagged "Please remember to order e-certificate(s) once you earn the required points" note in the reservation. And no way to "force" the issuing.

Any suggestions, other than making a call?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If you did not have the required points when you made the reservation, it will not automatically pull the points until about a week prior to your stay. Everything is OK. You have nothing to worry about. If it will make you feel better, sometimes a button appears on the reservation confirmation page that you can click to have the points withdrawn immediately or you can call. Or you can just wait until the points are automatically taken about a week before your stay.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:34 pm

You have nothing to worry about.

The worst I've ever seen was when my ecert wasn't sent to the hotel until 4 days after checkin! Hotel was accommodating in that instance (Amex's fault)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks both. My point was though, I had the points in my account I logged out, logged back in, same issue. Whatever not sweating it too much.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post-script...I am two weeks out from a stay, have the points in my account to fund the e-certificate, and even have the button to order the e-cert. But of course Marriott IT:

An unexpected error has occurred

This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Post-script...I am two weeks out from a stay, have the points in my account to fund the e-certificate, and even have the button to order the e-cert. But of course Marriott IT:

This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later.
I'm in the same situation and getting the same error message. The e-certificate site does say "If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you". Should I trust that or do I need to call?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You guys are one-up on me. I tried to make a new reservation, and wanted to use a CAT1-5 cert, but couldn't figure out how to do it on the new website.
Ended up calling reservations and having it done...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm in the same situation and getting the same error message. The e-certificate site does say "If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you". Should I trust that or do I need to call?
I'm going to live on the wild side and let things take their course naturally
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:42 am

Getting same issue. Transferred SPG to Marriott and transfer was near instantaneous. Booked hotel (and given confirmation) and then message about not enough points but yes you can book now and wait for points to arrive. Then given message about needing an e-cert. OK click on that and it wants to charge me $1500 for the stay lol.

Call in and they are clueless - CSR says they are reservations and have nothing to do with points but "it should be fine". Very reassuring. This is also a new hotel not open yet but will be in one week and we are staying there four weeks from now so perhaps that is why the e-cert message shows up as well. I will wait until tomorrow and see if it is any clearer.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by thedude99
Getting same issue. Transferred SPG to Marriott and transfer was near instantaneous. Booked hotel (and given confirmation) and then message about not enough points but yes you can book now and wait for points to arrive. Then given message about needing an e-cert. OK click on that and it wants to charge me $1500 for the stay lol.
I'm a bit confused about your post. Did you have enough points in your account when you tried to order the e-certificate? If not, that's why they wanted to charge you for the missing points. Although you can book and get a confirmation number without having enough points in your account, you have to wait until you do have enough points before you order the e-certificate (unless you want to buy those points).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

To follow-up on this, I had the same message but I just e-mailed Marriott Rewards and they took care of everything right away. They ordered the e-certificate and deducted the points from my account. Quick and easy.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
does anyone know if I book a 45k/night property today that is going up to 60k/night post-merger, and if I do not order the e-certificates until after the merger in August, what rate would I be charged? 45k or 60k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.