Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ADDED to the post about the $1 charge that was reversed: As I indicated this was not an award stay.However, as I think about it, the hotel did try to do some "contract supplements" by email too. I'll have to check the email dates versus when the $1 charge was done. The email,which didn't ask for a response, had some expected welcome information but then also gave some very punitive conditions for an early departure.

IME if a hotel wants to check the validity of a credit card in advance, it would do a hold on funds (subtracted from the credit limit for cards with credit limits) that would then briefly appear as a pending charge. This was an actual charge followed by an actual credit and I've never noticed such a practice before. Moreover, the hold would protect the hotel much more than just knowing that the credit card company will approve a $1 charge as for all they knew, the card could have been within $2 of my credit limit versus having a portion of the credit limit set aside to cover the anticipated bill, which is what hotels typically do at check in (or sometimes shortly before arrival, assuming a guaranteed but not nonrefundable rate plan).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ADDED to the post about the $1 charge that was reversed: As I indicated this was not an award stay.However, as I think about it, the hotel did try to do some "contract supplements" by email too. I'll have to check the email dates versus when the $1 charge was done. The email,which didn't ask for a response, had some expected welcome information but then also gave some very punitive conditions for an early departure.

IME if a hotel wants to check the validity of a credit card in advance, it would do a hold on funds (subtracted from the credit limit for cards with credit limits) that would then briefly appear as a pending charge. This was an actual charge followed by an actual credit and I've never noticed such a practice before. Moreover, the hold would protect the hotel much more than just knowing that the credit card company will approve a $1 charge as for all they knew, the card could have been within $2 of my credit limit versus having a portion of the credit limit set aside to cover the anticipated bill, which is what hotels typically do at check in (or sometimes shortly before arrival, assuming a guaranteed but not nonrefundable rate plan).
Regardless of your opinion on whether it is a good method to check the validity of a credit card, submitting a $1.00 charge and then reversing it is the current benchmark for e-commerce.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Regardless of your opinion on whether it is a good method to check the validity of a credit card, submitting a $1.00 charge and then reversing it is the current benchmark for e-commerce.
This isn't e-commerce; it's a normal refundable hotel reservation and the $1 charge was done at some random time long after I had made the reservation.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This isn't e-commerce; it's a normal refundable hotel reservation and the $1 charge was done at some random time long after I had made the reservation.
e-commerce is an industry term that means any transaction where the card was not presented to the merchant submitting the charge and the cc details were obtained by phone or online.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
e-commerce is an industry term that means any transaction where the card was not presented to the merchant submitting the charge and the cc details were obtained by phone or online.
Regardless, on a flexible hotel reservation with Marriott hotels, it is not typical for a hotel to charge the card (even for verification purposes) before check in. I say this having made hundreds, if not thousands, of hotel reservations. Of course, a prepaid reservation is a different story.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I had a two night stay booked at the Marriott at Circular Quay in Sydney last August 31st which I had already checked in for and which was well past the cancellation window. My QF F flight DFW-SYD was delayed 24 hours due to Mechanical. I messaged the property through the APP and explained the situation. They, without issue and without charge, cancelled my first night and changed the reservation to a 1 night stay. When I arrived at 7:30 am the day after my original booking I was checked-in early and upgraded to a Junior Suite with a smile. Fantastic Customer Service.

I am all for the 48 hour check-in. It allows you to comminicate directly with the hotel. I have also been able to confirm suite upgrades before arrival if I haven't already been upgraded prior to check-in. I also advise the hotel again what time I will be arriving when enroute to the hotel so it is fresh in their minds when I get there.

James in Phoenix
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Before reading this thread, I had no idea that a night in Aspen could cost mode than double that of a night at the Ritz in Paris or London
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
The mental exercise we are discussing concerns using a $50 pre paid card to serve as the card on file. Let them try to milk that cow.
They could still send a bill to you, and if you didn't pay it, send it to a collection agency.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jaunts
They could still send a bill to you, and if you didn't pay it, send it to a collection agency.
Whether that is a viable option will vary a lot, depending on the guest’s residence. If from a different country, collection will be very difficult. They can also let Marriott know and have the guest fired as a member of the loyalty program.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Whether that is a viable option will vary a lot, depending on the guest’s residence. If from a different country, collection will be very difficult. They can also let Marriott know and have the guest fired as a member of the loyalty program.
That is true. There are some countries that wouldn't enforce US contract law, but Canada and most Western European countries usually do. However, for US residents, an unpaid bill could affect a credit score.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I had a two night stay booked at the Marriott at Circular Quay in Sydney last August 31st which I had already checked in for and which was well past the cancellation window. My QF F flight DFW-SYD was delayed 24 hours due to Mechanical. I messaged the property through the APP and explained the situation. They, without issue and without charge, cancelled my first night and changed the reservation to a 1 night stay. When I arrived at 7:30 am the day after my original booking I was checked-in early and upgraded to a Junior Suite with a smile. Fantastic Customer Service.

I am all for the 48 hour check-in. It allows you to comminicate directly with the hotel. I have also been able to confirm suite upgrades before arrival if I haven't already been upgraded prior to check-in. I also advise the hotel again what time I will be arriving when enroute to the hotel so it is fresh in their minds when I get there.

James in Phoenix
Some properties definitely treats customers better than others...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jaunts
That is true. There are some countries that wouldn't enforce US contract law, but Canada and most Western European countries usually do. However, for US residents, an unpaid bill could affect a credit score.
I am not sure for US resident. I am skeptical that, if you live in Canada, they can recover anything or even affect your credit score if you book using points and no amount was specified in the reservation. Whatever happens, it is probably not as bad as having to reimburse a 10,000$ for a stay you already paid by point. Not that I want to try that. Actually for my next ski trip I am thinking to just book a Residence Inn in the Salt Lake City area which would cost not more than 200$ per night or maybe around 20,000 points - with a 48h cancellation policy - and just drive to Alta / Snowbird / Solitude / Brighton / Deer Valley each morning. At least, you won't end in an over-rated hotel which hates points paying customers and try to rip them off as much as they can.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I am not sure for US resident. I am skeptical that, if you live in Canada, they can recover anything or even affect your credit score if you book using points and no amount was specified in the reservation. Whatever happens, it is probably not as bad as having to reimburse a 10,000$ for a stay you already paid by point. Not that I want to try that. Actually for my next ski trip I am thinking to just book a Residence Inn in the Salt Lake City area which would cost not more than 200$ per night or maybe around 20,000 points - with a 48h cancellation policy - and just drive to Alta / Snowbird / Solitude / Brighton / Deer Valley each morning. At least, you won't end in an over-rated hotel which hates points paying customers and try to rip them off as much as they can.
I sell into the Canadian market on a regular basis, and if a Canadian defaults on payment, I know we have legal recourse on that through international law. Although, I don't know about the particulars of this situation. I'm not a lawyer. But in general, if a US citizen owes a debt in Canada, or a Canadian owes a debt in the US, there are ways to collect it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Regardless, on a flexible hotel reservation with Marriott hotels, it is not typical for a hotel to charge the card (even for verification purposes) before check in. I say this having made hundreds, if not thousands, of hotel reservations. Of course, a prepaid reservation is a different story.
I doubt you would know if they put "a hold" on your card and removed it when you arrived. As I understand it, that is what most hotels do.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Originally Posted by Gadot
I doubt you would know if they put "a hold" on your card and removed it when you arrived. As I understand it, that is what most hotels do.
There is a difference between a funds hold and an actual charge, and they represent different transaction codes to the credit card isssuer. The funds hold ensures you have adequate credit for a potential charge and while it does lower your credit availability it is not an actual charge. When a funds hold Is done, it can be followed up by later by an actual charge or removal. It will also automatically be removed if not re posted after a certain number of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.