Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by boolean64
This is not the definition of a no-show. THis happened to me this week in fact. I was extremely delayed...called the hotel when i had a better sense of when i would arrive, arrived at 3AM and checked in no problem. This is for a hotel i've stayed at almost every week for the last 9 months. But because i checked in after they ran the 2AM night audit, guess what my bill said today. one night of "no show room" and two nights of room charge. I actually did use the room three nights so didn't dispute, but these things are actually pretty automated.

Now a few weeks ago i ended up being delayed a day, same thing happened, and the front desk clerk reversed the no show charge when i checked out since i was delayed due to a cancelled flight. but "no show" does not mean "never show for the entire reservation."
Wow, I thought no show means you don't show up. As long as the hotel makes it right then it's a "relatively" small nuisance compared to what OP is going through.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boolean64
This is not the definition of a no-show. THis happened to me this week in fact. I was extremely delayed...called the hotel when i had a better sense of when i would arrive, arrived at 3AM and checked in no problem. This is for a hotel i've stayed at almost every week for the last 9 months. But because i checked in after they ran the 2AM night audit, guess what my bill said today. one night of "no show room" and two nights of room charge. I actually did use the room three nights so didn't dispute, but these things are actually pretty automated.

Now a few weeks ago i ended up being delayed a day, same thing happened, and the front desk clerk reversed the no show charge when i checked out since i was delayed due to a cancelled flight. but "no show" does not mean "never show for the entire reservation."
if that was a definition there would be no way for anyone to book a room for, say, 4 am arrival - the system would code them all as no show and charge a fee.

In reality hotels just need to mark late arriving guests appropriately so the software doesn't automatically flag them as no shows with all associated consequences.. and most hotels promptly do as long as you warn then of late arrival (had that with JW in asia last month on travel package stay after flight changes delayed arrival by nearly a day)..
the only thing not clear to me is whether OP situation developed due to hotel incompetence/poor communication (eg noone bothered to note OP's late arrival) or by informed and intentional "noshowing" OP in the system which IMO is an outright fraud
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Antarius
I have checked in at odd hours (1-3 am) 6 times this year. 2 point reservations, 4 paid ones. Never had an issue, not even with elite nights or points posting. One of those trips, I showed up the following day after letting them know that I was stuck. Still no issue. Properties were in the US (all over) and Colombia.
Ditto. Due to a 7 hour UA delay, I checked in at 6 am just three weeks ago at the RI Downtown/World Trade Center. This was using a 25k cert. I had no issues at all. I had updated the hotel as to my arrival time using the chat function.

This whole "it's the system's fault" is just a distraction from what's really going on, namely St. Regis Aspen cheating its guests. Note that this bogus "issue" was raised by the same apologists who originally said this was fine per the T&C.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If it were me I would post a review on Trip Advisor. Looking at the reviews on TA maanagement is proactive in responding to complaints.

I also got an issue resolved very quickly via the Lurker's e-mail address posted on this forum:

[email protected]
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kacee
Ditto. Due to a 7 hour UA delay, I checked in at 6 am just three weeks ago at the RI Downtown/World Trade Center. This was using a 25k cert. I had no issues at all. I had updated the hotel as to my arrival time using the chat function.

This whole "it's the system's fault" is just a distraction from what's really going on, namely St. Regis Aspen cheating its guests. Note that this bogus "issue" was raised by the same apologists who originally said this was fine per the T&C.
+1

I'd like to see the confirmation email the OP received. Hoping it doesn't say something about this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:40 pm

Last point here - they can hide behind whatever hidden terms they want to hide behind., They might win in a court or not. Terms not on the booking page that were supposedly emailed to you at some point when Marriott bought Starwood and were supposedly agreed to by default even though many people did not ever see them may or may not hold up in various jurisdictions. There is a reason why well written contracts have every page or clause initialed and accepted. The T&C here is also super vague if you can even find it with no real definition of acceptable hotel rate and certainly no definition of a no show. Most normal people would say if you checked in you were a show. Anyways, the St Regis might win a flimsy argument in some courts.

Ive stayed at over 500 hotels on card and points. Ive checked in late maybe 50+ times. No hotel has ever had an issue so I didn't even have an idea that checking in late makes you a no show. Thats how rare it is for a hotel to do this.

Across 500+ stays Ive generally found when you pay $1000 or $2000 at a Ritz or Park Hyatt or whatever you tend to get top notch service,.

Here we have a top tier hotel in a world class destination Aspen basically telling $1000_+ room renters F U there are some vague terms somewhere that we are going to enforce even though we didn't say a word about them when you called us and we'd rather treat you with a scam than win your business long term. I've never seen this in 43 years of traveling at a Red Roof Inn or Holiday Inn let alone the ST Regis. The ST Regis in other cities are some of my favorite hotels I the world. The one in Aspen should not be part of the brand. They clearly wish to pray on customers whether legal or not through poorly disseminated hidden and unclear rules. This is what scum does.
ExpAAt05 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wow, this is insane. How can they call the late arrival of the OP a no-show? When the OP advised that it was due to flight cancellations? the OP showed up prior to the check-in deadline the following day. I sure hope the lurkers can fix this or someone else.
Right now ... this hotel goes on the 'do not ever consider list'.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Actually, the St Regis is only #9 /34 hotels in Aspen on TripAdvisor. Not a very good rank. You have an Hyatt Residence Club with a better ranking (it's even closer to the gondola by the way). And you even have an Ascend Collection (Choice hotels !) with a better ranking as well.
If I came back in Aspen area and want to stay in a Marriott hotel I will just chose the Westin Snowmass. At least it's cheaper, I won't have too much expectation about the hotel itself, it's a ski-in ski-out hotel and Snowmass is bigger (and IMO better) than Aspen/Ajax. Or maybe the new W depending of the reviews...
It may not be ranked as high as some but its the party and be seen hotel in Aspen. Its always sold out and much like clubs in Miami or Ibiza or NYC that know this it obviously treats its customers like Sh T. I too prefer the Westin in Snowmass but the people going to meet me wanted to have fun and wanted the ST Regis
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:21 pm

When I last looked rooms were about $900. when I chose to use points they were also about 900. Whether they were 895 or 910 I don't remember. I've never seen an 1100 outside weekend or holiday there though Im sure they have it coded as the rip off rate
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. OP here. As suggested, I have reached out to the hotel general manager via a lengthy and detailed email (with a cc to her regional VP). I have also reached out to Lurker via PM and via an email using the email address listed above.

One factual clarification: I checked in around 12:30 PM the next day (after morning flight to GJT and drive to Aspen). Some are perhaps confusing my facts with those of sean1397 (see his thread Nearing the end of my relationship with Marriott - how to deal with the ST Regis) for his facts). Confusing his situation and mine is easy to do b/c they have many similarities, both occurred at around the same time at the same St. Regis in Aspen and many of his facts are posted in this thread (which is perfectly ok).

Hopefully both of our issues get resolved favorably and quickly. I will keep you all posted on what becomes of at least mine.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by apodo77
If it were me I would post a review on Trip Advisor. Looking at the reviews on TA maanagement is proactive in responding to complaints.
I wouldn't count on it. They will answer with a polite apology and thank you for your review and won't do anything...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I wouldn't count on it. They will answer with a polite apology and thank you for your review and won't do anything...
sounds about right. every now and then you get a manager that offers you an email for direct contact but don’t count on it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cletraveler
Thanks everyone. OP here. As suggested, I have reached out to the hotel general manager via a lengthy and detailed email (with a cc to her regional VP). I have also reached out to Lurker via PM and via an email using the email address listed above.

One factual clarification: I checked in around 12:30 PM the next day (after morning flight to GJT and drive to Aspen). Some are perhaps confusing my facts with those of sean1397 (see his thread Nearing the end of my relationship with Marriott - how to deal with the ST Regis) for his facts). Confusing his situation and mine is easy to do b/c they have many similarities, both occurred at around the same time at the same St. Regis in Aspen and many of his facts are posted in this thread (which is perfectly ok).

Hopefully both of our issues get resolved favorably and quickly. I will keep you all posted on what becomes of at least mine.
They were confusing...I thought it was you with 2 screen names.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Hmm this is a strange case.. What about all these folks who go to Thailand/Somewhere and wants to secure a room early in the morning when they arrive at 8AM so they book a room for the previous day but check in at 8AM instead of waiting until 3PM. Will Marriott consider that to be a no show lol if you let the hotel know of your late check in? The property will no matter get its revenue, win-win everybody happy? It feels something here is processed automatically by the system and causes this mess. I stumbled upon this article today https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/03/14/...ce-april-2019/ with further info about Marriott and its so called epic internal systems.

Not sure what time OP checked in the 2nd day but the fee $ above points is awkward.
It is not Marriott deciding a no-show. It is the property deciding it is a no-show. How could Marriott know whether you are there or not without the hotel telling them?

And if the property submits a no-show, the property does not get paid by Marriott. The property will charge a no-show fee.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by freed0m
It is not Marriott deciding a no-show. It is the property deciding it is a no-show. How could Marriott know whether you are there or not without the hotel telling them?

And if the property submits a no-show, the property does not get paid by Marriott. The property will charge a no-show fee.
So very likely the no-show fee represented the greater opportunity for the property versus what Marriott would've compensated for the points redemption, no? A scam, in essence.

I can't stand the vibe in Aspen - used to stop there for lunch from time to time but now I just drive straight on through town when I'm in that part of the state. Everything's about money, money, money to pretty much everyone. Ick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.