Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott opening 1700 new hotels by 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott opening 1700 new hotels by 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Not every city in the world can support a Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott or Luxury Collection property.

My travel patterns take me from the big cities to the smaller ones where you are lucky to get any branded properties at all.

Avoiding Marriott these days has allowed me experience great service from a new Holiday Inn (would put a five-star property to shame) and couple of Preferred Rewards properties as well as a two small boutique hotels. This allows be to avoid the frustration with the useless customer service agents and the terrible website and app.
not saying non full service properties don’t work for others. I just don’t like them, personal preference not a knock on others

whats wrong with their app though? I find their iOS apps for iPad and phone to be quite good and far superior to their website
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
By my count, the overwhelming majority will be limited service. There are 400+ Fairfields in development alone.

The money is in limited service! Beyond Marriott, banks are reluctant to finance high end properties. For example, there is a great development planned for a W in the Algarve that was supposed to have opened last fall but hasn't broken ground ... presumably because they can't get financing to build.
The financing of high end properties in many locales requires an associated residential component, otherwise the numbers no longer crunch. There's plenty of empirical evidence already.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
By my count, the overwhelming majority will be limited service. There are 400+ Fairfields in development alone.

The money is in limited service! Beyond Marriott, banks are reluctant to finance high end properties. For example, there is a great development planned for a W in the Algarve that was supposed to have opened last fall but hasn't broken ground ... presumably because they can't get financing to build.
This is deeply unfortunate. There is literally nothing that excites me about staying at a Courtyard or a Fairfield. In fact, the majority of the select service portfolio is just so blahhh. The only SS brand that is of any interest to me is AC, and it's because they seem to consistently deliver a good, modern product. When I think Courtyard or Fairfield I think high school athletics teams, clubs, old people visiting relatives, families driving from New Jersey to Florida, etc.

Would love to see some new EDITION properties added to the mix. IMO this is the best brand in the Marriott portfolio.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Not every city in the world can support a Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott or Luxury Collection property.
Of course not, but more Ritz-Carlton, J.W. Marriott and St. Regis properties can open in Asia because the cost of labor in these markets is much lower than in Europe or North America.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I hope they open more STR, LC, and JWs in Asia, especially resort locations! Those are what is keeping me staying at Marriott in near-term. Throw in some in Africa and I'll be happy. To be fair, Marriott's development plans are top of class. I m just surprised at how they went cheap on IT
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Ambitious plan!

Realistically the majority of those new hotels will be limited-service, and I don't think that's bad news.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Marriott Australia.

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Please open more hotels in Europe and in Australia.
I am no expert in Europe but Marriott are certainly expanding in Australia.
Last year they opened a Westin in Perth with a Ritz Carlton to come.
They are building a Westin in Darwin.
They are building a W and Four Points in Sydney, although they will lose the Westin.
They opened two new hotels in Brisbane in 2018, a W and a Westin.
They have 4 hotels in Melbourne, with a further 8 being built or planned.
This is not a comprehensive list, just meant to illustrate the expansion, which is most welcome.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:38 pm

How far ahead do they plan these hotels?

I was in Penang last year and realised they have/had nothing there
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Why shouldn't they? MR is the biggest global hotel chain with the biggest loyalty program (which converts to people that have some incentive to actually frequent your property). Since MR Bonvoy isn't as rewarding as it could be from a traveller perspective, the provision of elite benefits will not significantly impact your PnL (from an investor's perspective). So I think MR - from a hotel developer and manager perspective - has a lot of positves.
Wyndham has over 8000 hotels.

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Marriott is having big trouble managing their already large and wide ranging portfolio, it's clear the solution is to increase their size by 25% before fixing the current problems.
Why waste money on IT when you can grow your biggest asset, lots of properties.

Originally Posted by dtremit
They're just trying to justify having those 30 brands!
Why stop at 30? Let’s make it 40 or 50 so we can make the breakfast benefit even more indecipherable!

Originally Posted by SQTraveller

Isn’t there a FourPts and a Design Hotel there?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
If referring to penang Malaysia there is an edition hotel in Georgetown, but that’s it
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is deeply unfortunate. There is literally nothing that excites me about staying at a Courtyard or a Fairfield. In fact, the majority of the select service portfolio is just so blahhh. The only SS brand that is of any interest to me is AC, and it's because they seem to consistently deliver a good, modern product. When I think Courtyard or Fairfield I think high school athletics teams, clubs, old people visiting relatives, families driving from New Jersey to Florida, etc.

Would love to see some new EDITION properties added to the mix. IMO this is the best brand in the Marriott portfolio.
I love Edition too, but demographically, there are many times
more high school athletic team members, families doing road trips (or increasingly international trips from China, India and Africa), and frugal young travelers and such than jetsetters that can spend $500 a night on rooms and $150 a night on dinner and drinks at the Barcelona Edition. The fact is that ignoring the limited service segment is exactly the reason that everyone’s beloved Starwood eventually had to sell itself
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
If referring to penang Malaysia there is an edition hotel in Georgetown, but that’s it
Oops you’re right. And it looks like the Four Pts left in Oct 2018.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SQTraveller

Keep in mind these hotels are not being developed by Marriott. They are being developed by independent developers who sign franchise agreements with Marriott. The developers choose the locations.

Originally Posted by Adelphos

I love Edition too, but demographically, there are many times
more high school athletic team members, families doing road trips (or increasingly international trips from China, India and Africa), and frugal young travelers and such than jetsetters that can spend $500 a night on rooms and $150 a night on dinner and drinks at the Barcelona Edition. The fact is that ignoring the limited service segment is exactly the reason that everyone’s beloved Starwood eventually had to sell itself
Exactly. Marriott is happy to sell more Edition properties to developers. But if you're a developer/operator, the ROI can be much better on a Fairfield Inn/Courtyard/AC than on a St. R or Edition. Plus, on an AC, you can really save on furnishings and electricity since the AC brand seems to think its "cool" to skip on room lighting!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I guess we will see if they can indeed add this many properties and what kind of properties they will be. The pessimist in me that's taking everything Marriott does and says with a grain of salt expects the majority of these to be FI and CY that will end up being Category 5's or above since they will be new. The optimist hopes that it's some nice high-end properties that I can book to work down my account balance even more.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Wyndham has over 8000 hotels.

Count rooms, not properties. Mariott has 1.2 million; Wyndham isn't even #2 with 675K.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.