FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Amex Travel Reservation & Elite Benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1959298-amex-travel-reservation-elite-benefits.html)

meecks Mar 4, 2019 10:14 am

Amex Travel Reservation & Elite Benefits

Hi guys,
Bonvoy Plat here...
Just received a very good offer from amex travel and I'd like to book the Apollo Amsterdam. I know marriott doesn't guarantee elite benefits on third party agency, just wondering if any of you had different experience after the merge.
Thanks in advance

t1c Mar 4, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by meecks (Post 30846465)
Hi guys,
Bonvoy Plat here...
Just received a very good offer from amex travel and I'd like to book the Apollo Amsterdam. I know marriott doesn't guarantee elite benefits on third party agency, just wondering if any of you had different experience after the merge.
Thanks in advance

If its thru FHR then you will be fine...you will get all of your normal benefits.

Dav77 Mar 4, 2019 12:09 pm

Normally also if on Hotel collection. Isn’t it ?

t1c Mar 4, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77 (Post 30846957)
Normally also if on Hotel collection. Isn’t it ?

Correct i think HC uses Orbitz to book travel..

SP03 Mar 6, 2019 2:27 am

Originally Posted by t1c (Post 30846820)
If its thru FHR then you will be fine...you will get all of your normal benefits.

How about the prepaid option for FHR? I’m reading on the points guy that Marriott hotels was the only chain not giving elite benefits and points because reservations are showing up as Expedia. Any first hand experience?

Handcake Mar 6, 2019 2:38 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30853648)

How about the prepaid option for FHR? I’m reading on the points guy that Marriott hotels was the only chain not giving elite benefits and points because reservations are showing up as Expedia. Any first hand experience?

I used FHR for a RC and I got all my elite benefits and points. It should never show as expedia as the travel agency is Amex. If you read the terms on FHR it clearly states about AMEX travel MUST be the one on the reservation or you do NOT get the FHR benefits.

EDIT: I should note that I am a Canadian Plat holder, and the rules between Canada/US Plat seem slightly different at times.

SP03 Mar 6, 2019 2:43 am

Here’s the link to TPG story

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultim...s-and-resorts/

I wonder if the issue is booking prepaid vs paying at hotel?

cfischer Mar 6, 2019 9:24 am

I have always gotten points and benefits if booking through Amex.

SP03 Mar 6, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 30854692)
I have always gotten points and benefits if booking through Amex.

Including the new prepaid option and Hotel Collection?

cfischer Mar 6, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30854720)
Including the new prepaid option and Hotel Collection?

no, I never book pre-paid. All have been paid at the hotel.

I don't see how this could work. Pre-pay you are charged by Amex ... to get your 5x ... so it is not charged by Marriott which is what would essentially be needed to get MR points.

exploreaswego Mar 6, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30853692)
Here’s the link to TPG story

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultim...s-and-resorts/

I wonder if the issue is booking prepaid vs paying at hotel?

Wow, this sucks. The testing booking shows FHR reservations do not appear on the Marriott page, which Hilton and Hyatt does..

SP03 Mar 6, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 30855181)
Wow, this sucks. The testing booking shows FHR reservations do not appear on the Marriott page, which Hilton and Hyatt does..

We need more data points to know if this only affects pre-paid bookings or FHR books to be paid at the hotels. I suspect this is only prepaid, but even then, it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.

Kacee Mar 6, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30855466)
it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.

It really doesn't. On points, it just inhibits double dipping. The main consequence if you're a Marriott elite is no qualifying nights credit.

For me, the main benefit of FHR rates is obtaining top tier elite-like benefits at properties where I don't hold top tier status. 5x MR makes that even more attractive.

SP03 Mar 6, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30856270)
It really doesn't. On points, it just inhibits double dipping. The main consequence if you're a Marriott elite is no qualifying nights credit.

For me, the main benefit of FHR rates is obtaining top tier elite-like benefits at properties where I don't hold top tier status. 5x MR makes that even more attractive.

You have Marriott Titanium so if you had booked a prepaid FHR reservation, you would get mostly the same FHR benefits as you would get as a Titanium (except an extra $100). You could in theory even lose a suite upgrade if the hotel decides to stick to a strict interpretation of FHR upgrade.

No double dipping is a net loss because you could be earning credit card points (3x with CSR, 5x with Citi Prestige) and MR points if you book direct with Marriott. The 5x Amex MR basically replaced credit card earning.

cfischer Mar 6, 2019 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30855466)
We need more data points to know if this only affects pre-paid bookings or FHR books to be paid at the hotels. I suspect this is only prepaid, but even then, it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.

my pay-at-hotel FHR bookings have always showed up (none right now, so can't check if still true)