Amex Travel Reservation & Elite Benefits

Old Mar 4, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, GP DIAMOND

Hi guys,
Bonvoy Plat here...
Just received a very good offer from amex travel and I'd like to book the Apollo Amsterdam. I know marriott doesn't guarantee elite benefits on third party agency, just wondering if any of you had different experience after the merge.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:38 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by meecks View Post
Hi guys,
Bonvoy Plat here...
Just received a very good offer from amex travel and I'd like to book the Apollo Amsterdam. I know marriott doesn't guarantee elite benefits on third party agency, just wondering if any of you had different experience after the merge.
Thanks in advance
If its thru FHR then you will be fine...you will get all of your normal benefits.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Normally also if on Hotel collection. Isnt it ?
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:13 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Dav77 View Post
Normally also if on Hotel collection. Isnt it ?
Correct i think HC uses Orbitz to book travel..
Old Mar 6, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by t1c View Post
If its thru FHR then you will be fine...you will get all of your normal benefits.
How about the prepaid option for FHR? Im reading on the points guy that Marriott hotels was the only chain not giving elite benefits and points because reservations are showing up as Expedia. Any first hand experience?
Old Mar 6, 19, 3:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SP03 View Post

How about the prepaid option for FHR? I’m reading on the points guy that Marriott hotels was the only chain not giving elite benefits and points because reservations are showing up as Expedia. Any first hand experience?
I used FHR for a RC and I got all my elite benefits and points. It should never show as expedia as the travel agency is Amex. If you read the terms on FHR it clearly states about AMEX travel MUST be the one on the reservation or you do NOT get the FHR benefits.

EDIT: I should note that I am a Canadian Plat holder, and the rules between Canada/US Plat seem slightly different at times.

Last edited by Handcake; Mar 6, 19 at 4:03 am
Old Mar 6, 19, 3:43 am

Heres the link to TPG story

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultim...s-and-resorts/

I wonder if the issue is booking prepaid vs paying at hotel?
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have always gotten points and benefits if booking through Amex.
Old Mar 6, 19, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I have always gotten points and benefits if booking through Amex.
Including the new prepaid option and Hotel Collection?
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Including the new prepaid option and Hotel Collection?
no, I never book pre-paid. All have been paid at the hotel.

I don't see how this could work. Pre-pay you are charged by Amex ... to get your 5x ... so it is not charged by Marriott which is what would essentially be needed to get MR points.
Old Mar 6, 19, 12:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Heres the link to TPG story

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultim...s-and-resorts/

I wonder if the issue is booking prepaid vs paying at hotel?
Wow, this sucks. The testing booking shows FHR reservations do not appear on the Marriott page, which Hilton and Hyatt does..
Old Mar 6, 19, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
Wow, this sucks. The testing booking shows FHR reservations do not appear on the Marriott page, which Hilton and Hyatt does..
We need more data points to know if this only affects pre-paid bookings or FHR books to be paid at the hotels. I suspect this is only prepaid, but even then, it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.
It really doesn't. On points, it just inhibits double dipping. The main consequence if you're a Marriott elite is no qualifying nights credit.

For me, the main benefit of FHR rates is obtaining top tier elite-like benefits at properties where I don't hold top tier status. 5x MR makes that even more attractive.
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It really doesn't. On points, it just inhibits double dipping. The main consequence if you're a Marriott elite is no qualifying nights credit.

For me, the main benefit of FHR rates is obtaining top tier elite-like benefits at properties where I don't hold top tier status. 5x MR makes that even more attractive.
You have Marriott Titanium so if you had booked a prepaid FHR reservation, you would get mostly the same FHR benefits as you would get as a Titanium (except an extra $100). You could in theory even lose a suite upgrade if the hotel decides to stick to a strict interpretation of FHR upgrade.

No double dipping is a net loss because you could be earning credit card points (3x with CSR, 5x with Citi Prestige) and MR points if you book direct with Marriott. The 5x Amex MR basically replaced credit card earning.
Old Mar 6, 19, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We need more data points to know if this only affects pre-paid bookings or FHR books to be paid at the hotels. I suspect this is only prepaid, but even then, it defeats the whole purpose of earning 5x points if you end up losing Marriott points.
my pay-at-hotel FHR bookings have always showed up (none right now, so can't check if still true)

Search this Thread