Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy awards reservation hold fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG

Has anyone noticed this occurring as described in the travel blog post for relatively high credit card charges made when a new rewards reservation made.

One Mile at a Time

Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Yep. W Koh Samui $3k USD refundable charge on your cc for a 5 night award stay.... nope
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by harrisk7
Yep. W Koh Samui $3k USD refundable charge on your cc for a 5 night award stay
Just because it has that verbiage doesn't mean it happens. Lots of people in that blog report seeing the wording but I don't see reports of anyone ever actually being charged.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because it has that verbiage doesn't mean it happens. Lots of people in that blog report seeing the wording but I don't see reports of anyone ever actually being charged.
And they want the deposit paid by check or money order sent by mail?!... does anybody still mail checks to pay for hotels?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

how about you test it and report back
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by harrisk7
how about you test it and report back
Seriously. How can anyone defend this?
UA-NYC, Happy, Duke787 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
And they want the deposit paid by check or money order sent by mail?!... does anybody still mail checks to pay for hotels?
Bank bill pay services can do that, if the hotel is not setup for electronic payments. I use that feature to send money when Zelle doesn't work.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Well, this is the hotel chain that suggests you can fax them hotel folios for missing credits...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Well, this is the hotel chain that suggests you can fax them hotel folios for missing credits...
Exactly! Because their new target customers (the millennials) surely know what a cheque and money order are!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
Originally Posted by Ripley62
Has anyone noticed this occurring as described in the travel blog post for relatively high credit card charges made when a new rewards reservation made.

One Mile at a Time

Recently booked award stays for December... Flipped out when Ambassador said there was a $2k deposit guarantee... I was not happy about the idea of $2K being held by the hotel interest-free for a year. She explained that they've been seeing this increasingly on the most popular resorts - skiing season in Colorado, etc.

Finally went ahead and booked... So far, no charge... But I'm not assuming it won't happen at some point.

If Marriott does go down this route of allowing the kind of pre-charge, especially months ahead of the stay, I think it will seriously damage the program. I'll definitely think twice about staying.
RogerD408 and Ripley62 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Holding charge

A refundable holding charger or even hold on a credit line, is interesting since on rewards reservations they already effectively prepay by deducting all the points for the reservation at the time of booking.

a number of times I’ve done prepaid non-refundable nights and my card hadn’t been charged until checkout.

If if they’re going down this path and cancellation of rewards bookings are a problem, why not just have a discounted rate non refundable rewards points redemption and CLEARLY state it as such as is done with cash bookings.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seriously. How can anyone defend this?
I don't see anyone defending it.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
if the hotel is not setup for electronic payments.
Are there any of those left in the world?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have to think if they start charging it, a lot of folks won't be able to redeem. Not everyone could afford the $2k deposit, less about the interest and more of a cash flow issue.
Ripley62 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachfan
I have to think if they start charging it, a lot of folks won't be able to redeem. Not everyone could afford the $2k deposit, less about the interest and more of a cash flow issue.
These are typically combined with a very harsh cancel policy (60 or more days in advance), making them particularly odious.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ripley62
A refundable holding charger or even hold on a credit line, is interesting since on rewards reservations they already effectively prepay by deducting all the points for the reservation at the time of booking.
To be fair, from the property’s point of view the reservation has not been prepaid with points. It’s Marriott that deducts the points. The property will only be paid several weeks after the guest checks-out. If the reservation is cancelled (even after the cancellation deadline) Marriott pays the property zero and returns the points to the member’s account. Property is compensated for a late cancellation by charging a cancellation penalty directly from the guest. Now, it’s only natural that a property would like assurances that the cancellation penalty would be paid in the event of a late cancellation, especially in the case of seasonal properties (ski resorts, etc). However, requesting that the full cancellation penalty (or even a higher amount) be prepaid seems disproportionate. A hold on the credit card could be acceptable, as long as it is clearly stated in the booking process. A full transaction seems absolutely inadequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.