Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What's the best Category 6 hotels? (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond

If looking for rest and relaxation, preferably somewhere warm. I have two 7-day travel packages unused and need to use them by November.. any suggestions on best value for the certificates?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Do you want US only or are you willing to travel outside of the US?

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It is the one that works best for you! More expensive doesn't necessarily mean a better property. You also have to consider the cost to get there and the costs to be on property including food & beverage. I am staying at the Bora Bora St. Regis nrxt month. The airfare and marine transfer for two from PPT is $1200 before you step on the property. Add $300-$400 per day for meals plus whaterver excursions/activities you want to do and the cheap redemption is already priced out of a lot of budgets.

Please do research where you would like to go and price out transportation, F&B, activities and accessibility to off property services so you aren't married to your destination property to see if it fits within your budget. Others opions may not work particularly well for you.

If you are able to provide your starting location and budget, others may be able to offer opinion on their experiences more in tune with your desires.

James
margarita girl and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 16, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
And it might help to now what you mean by "rest and relaxation". For example, JW Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort and Spa would be a different type of resting than say the Amelia Island RC or even the Grande Lakes RC. One is more of a golf resort, another is a beach resort and the last is more of an amusement type being close to Disney/Universal. But all could be considered in "warm" locations.

BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hhoope01
And it might help to now what you mean by "rest and relaxation". For example, JW Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort and Spa would be a different type of resting than say the Amelia Island RC or even the Grande Lakes RC. One is more of a golf resort, another is a beach resort and the last is more of an amusement type being close to Disney/Universal. But all could be considered in "warm" locations.

Do not give that poor guy a hard time. Just tell him what you would go, no other questions asked.

A lot of people just purchased the TPs at the last minute before the program was gone. Many of the TPs are speculative anyhow. Quite some people do not normally go to the kind of hotels they booked for with the TPs.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

hhoope01 wasn't giving the OP a hard time. If the OP provides more details re: what he is looking for specifically, then FTers can provide recommendations more tailored to what he seeks.

Just telling the OP where we (generic we) would go doesn't help much if it's not something he's interested in. Different people have different tastes, as well as different travel companions (family, solo, dating partner).

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Try the following:

Marriott Free Night Redemption Rates

One can sort by category and quickly scan for possible Cat 6 rewards that seem suitable. Once the OP has narrowed the list, it is likely that others will have some useful suggestions.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
Try the following:

Marriott Free Night Redemption Rates

One can sort by category and quickly scan for possible Cat 6 rewards that seem suitable. Once the OP has narrowed the list, it is likely that others will have some useful suggestions.
Good idea!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do you want US only or are you willing to travel outside of the US?

Cheers.
I'm actually based in Europe, so basically willing to travel anywhere

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Gotcha! For instance, we loved the Phoenician in Scottsdale. We have no kids so definitely looking for a chill by the pool type vacation, preferably avoiding kids :P
theOtherHolmes likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:24 am
Fiz

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
I'm actually based in Europe, so basically willing to travel anywhere

Gotcha! For instance, we loved the Phoenician in Scottsdale. We have no kids so definitely looking for a chill by the pool type vacation, preferably avoiding kids :P
Which proves that what the OP is looking for is important. For example the golf at the Phoenecian is mediocre compared to other options in the Valley, but the property itself is quite nice, pool included, and I believe recently upgraded.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I had a quick look at the Cat 6 hotels that could be interesting for us - any of these that you guys would especially recommend or not recommend? We have been meaning to visit Florida for quite some time, any of the hotels below that you'd put above the other?

United States

The Ritz Carlton, Amelia Island

Playa Largo Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection

JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort

The Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami

The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples

The Ritz-Carlton Sarasota

Asia

Caresse, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Bodrum

Caribbean

French Leave Resort, Autograph Collection

Europe

Falisia, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Portopiccolo

JW Marriott Cannes

JW Marriott Venice

Mexico

W Punta De Mita

JW Marriott Los Cabos

Middle East

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi

Al Bustan Palace, A Ritz-Carlton Hotel

Last edited by brokenwindow; Feb 17, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Some good hotels amongst these. Immediate thoughts of what I'd pick:
  • Al Bustan Palace: Oman is one of my favourite countries, and Al Bustan Palace is a spectacular building in spectacular grounds. Not too difficult to get to from Europe, and lots to see in Muscat around within a few hours
  • Caresse, Bodrum: Easyish to get to from Europe, Caresse is a very beautiful resort which in season can get quite expensive (it was originally designed as a $1,000 a night resort, but then the Turkish economy tanked)
  • W Punta de Mita: A really fun Mexican resort, very W. It's a bad of a journey from Europe, but Mexico is an amazing country and so a lot to see
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

I loved Caresse and would happily return. Look at the property thread for more extensive information. The St Regis Saadiyat Island was a bit meh in my opinion but was very close to the Abu Dhabi Louvre.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I loved Caresse and would happily return. Look at the property thread for more extensive information. The St Regis Saadiyat Island was a bit meh in my opinion but was very close to the Abu Dhabi Louvre.
I second your opinion on Saadiyat.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I would not recommend The Cosmopolitan. Anything in Las Vegas can be inexpensive when there's no convention going on. This means you can pay for the best hotel. There are far better hotels in Las Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.