FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1956224-gone-3-night-ac-hotel-marriott-times-square-nov-24th-booking-not-being-honored.html)

tessy143 Feb 13, 2019 11:34 pm

GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored

Seriously good deal (one night only) Nov 24th , 2019. Other nights may be available we will update once found.

Great for anyone in the area that time or those trying to hit those elite status night thresholds.

Book then get Marriott to price match.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c9b87699fc.png

sinfonia Feb 14, 2019 12:04 am

There is a $2 rate on the Marriott site.

OCedHrt Feb 14, 2019 12:46 am

Sold out now.

mikebor Feb 14, 2019 1:18 am

I booked it for $2.00 for that night. Why not. It is obviously a glitch but I hope the AC owns up to it and honors that rate.

Star_Guy Feb 14, 2019 2:16 am

See you there :) lol

fotoflyer88 Feb 14, 2019 8:21 am

Booked it direct on Marriott app. As did a few others I know. Think they will try to squeeze out of honoring it? Maybe one of the travel sites can host an event!

hotelboy Feb 14, 2019 9:55 am

Don't count on it being honored.

TimesTwo Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

FYI this reservation now shows as cancelled in my online account. I didn't cancel it nor did I get an email confirmation showing that it was cancelled. It still shows as active in the app.

Zelucifer Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo (Post 30778827)
FYI this reservation now shows as cancelled in my online account. I didn't cancel it nor did I get an email confirmation showing that it was cancelled. It still shows as active in the app.

Same here. I don't have any problem with them cancelling an obvious rate error. I do strongly object to them not communicating it.

mikebor Feb 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Mine got canceled as well. Just left a voicemail for the GM about it. At the very least I hope he will compromise with me and offer a reasonably low rate for their error. We'll see.

fotoflyer88 Feb 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 30779494)
Mine got canceled as well. Just left a voicemail for the GM about it. At the very least I hope he will compromise with me and offer a reasonably low rate for their error. We'll see.

I have a BIG problem with a reservation being canceled without any communication - no email - no call. Thinking about my next step here, this was actually going to be fun.

fliesdelta Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88 (Post 30779662)
I have a BIG problem with a reservation being canceled without any communication - no email - no call. Thinking about my next step here, this was actually going to be fun.

An automatic cancellation of a ridiculously low rate wouldn't bother me a tiny bit, because I would've made the booking knowing it was a mistake rate.

myperks Feb 14, 2019 4:24 pm

I would be okay with an automatic cancellation followed by an email either from Marriott or the hotel stating to that fact. I’m however, it appears that it’s just an automatic cancellation without any notice whatsoever that I have a problem with. Did not book so it doesn’t affect me as much but it makes me wonder if the hotel can cancel without penalty because it was an error, then customers should be able to cancel because it was an error... although this appears to been caught in a timely manner.

CLEguy Feb 14, 2019 4:30 pm

I just received an email from the GM. With cancellation and communication within 24 hours, I can’t say I’m too upset.

SkiAdcock Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm

It's not surprising it was canceled. It would be nice if the property communicated such cancellation vs finding out accidentally. But I think most booking a $3 rate in Times Square knows it's a mistake rate & it shouldn't be surprising it's canceled. (and before anyone goes there, spare me the I booked a non-refundable airfare expecting this to be honored crap).

Cheers.

Mr. Vker Feb 14, 2019 5:31 pm

There's another recent thread where a hotel was offering confirmed rates of $1/night. I think they were new or opening after major overhaul. So, this rate is not impossible-though highly improbable.

Star_Guy Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm

The emailed I received

My name is Benjamin Britton, General Manager of the AC Hotel New York Times Squareregarding your reservation at our property on November 24th.

We recently discovered that an error resulted in a number of reservations being made at the hotel at incorrect rates. Unfortunately, your reservation was one of the affected. As a result of this error your reservation, confirmation *********, has been cancelled.

The loyalty of our customers who have been impacted by this error is important to us. Please feel free to contact me within the next two weeks so that my team and I can assist you with rebooking your reservation for future dates.

I can be reached via email at[email protected] Monday through Friday.

I look forward to speaking with you and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

**** Marriott Information may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including but not limited to inaccuracies relating to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Marriott does not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Marriott reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to Marriott Information, and to the products and programs described in such information, at any time without notice, including after confirmation of a transaction.****

Kindest Regards,

Benjamin Britton

General Manager [email protected]

T: 212.398.2700 Ext:4001

F: 212.398.2718

Wow, So if a customer messed up on a reservation, it’s on us and they can charge us fees and stuff, But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it??

Tanic Feb 14, 2019 6:50 pm

You mean this wasn't their Welcome to bonvOy rate? :p

Repooc17 Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pm

On the same night, there is a Fairfield property in Manhattan with lowest member prepay rate at $881. More than Chatwal, and not much less than SR.

:D

mahasamatman Feb 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Star_Guy (Post 30780145)
But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it?

The FTC and common sense both say yes.

joeags Feb 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Wow, So if a customer messed up on a reservation, it’s on us and they can charge us fees and stuff, But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it??

You get 24 hours to cancel a reservation that you've made without any fees or penalties.

And really classy putting all of the personal information up for that individual.

Star_Guy Feb 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 30780673)
You get 24 hours to cancel a reservation that you've made without any fees or penalties.

And really classy putting all of the personal information up for that individual.

well I didn’t give him permission to cancel my reservation and they should have honored my reservation!!!

Everyone who reservation got cancel, please call him and demanded our room to be reinstated !

porciuscato Feb 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Star_Guy (Post 30780696)

well I didn’t give him permission to cancel my reservation and they should have honored my reservation!!!

Everyone who reservation got cancel, please call him and demanded our room to be reinstated !

You can also tell him he writes a decent opera! ;-) That couldn't be his real name, could it?

yeunganson Feb 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Under common law used in North American courts, there is a reasonableness test. Will a reasonable person seeing $3 per night in New York consider it a mistaken fare. If it is more likely than not, a reasonable person thinks it is a mistaken fare, then I think one can get out of the deal. Just like if a night of hotel of a regular room shown to be 9999 instead of 99.99 and you thought it was 99.99 and booked it, the hotel more likely than not cannot hold you to the reservation.

There are situations where the hotel will need to accept the deal. W New York when launched had a botched nightly rate of like sub $100. It's low enough that people believe it is a possible promotion but high enough that a reasonable person can't say it is obviously a mistaken nightly rate. So the hotel ended up honoring all reservations. At that time, lots of SPG flyertalkers flew to New York just for the hotel grand opening week and had a blast/short vacation.

I think if the rate was say $30 instead of $3, the Marriott Time Square probably would have had to honor it.

mikebor Feb 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Star_Guy (Post 30780696)

Exactly. And I asked the GM of the current hotel I am staying at tonight about this situation. She told me that hotel SHOULD honor the rate and she would as a GM if her property had published a rate in error. I tend to agree actually and that email from the AC General Manager was conveniently sent AFTER I left that voicemail for him. He probably received my voice message, realized they didn't communicate anything to all the people who booked the $2.00 rate and quickly created that email. I received that email around 6 pm EST and I left him a voicemail at 5 pm EST. He never called me back though.

Obviously there isn't really much I can do other than to try and convince him that they should do the right thing and honor this rate. The GM at my current hotel brought up an interesting analogy on the other side. She said, what if the hotel had mistakenly put a higher rate that evening of $699? And let's say 10 people booked it. Would they cancel their reservation like they did ours and say they couldn't honor it? I highly doubt it. This AC GM needs to do the right thing and honor that rate for the 1 night in error. That's my opinion at least.

KRSW Feb 14, 2019 11:31 pm

What a missed opportunity for the hotel! Charge it to marketing and call it a day... or at least come back with a deep discount and see if you can expose new customers to your property.

Repooc17 Feb 14, 2019 11:38 pm

Most of you would have needed to position (and re-position) + incidentals = additional costs. Benefits: 1 night of credit and very little in points. Plus, NYC gets crazy that time of the year. Worth it? I am not sure.

MSPeconomist Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am

For all we know, the AC general manager might offer some special rate for people who booked the $3 rate, although it won't be $3. Perhaps the person who received the email (I'm not sure whether it's the OP or someone else) should contact the GM about rebooking and see what is offered.

fotoflyer88 Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 30780754)
Exactly. And I asked the GM of the current hotel I am staying at tonight about this situation. She told me that hotel SHOULD honor the rate and she would as a GM if her property had published a rate in error. I tend to agree actually and that email from the AC General Manager was conveniently sent AFTER I left that voicemail for him. He probably received my voice message, realized they didn't communicate anything to all the people who booked the $2.00 rate and quickly created that email. I received that email around 6 pm EST and I left him a voicemail at 5 pm EST. He never called me back though.

Obviously there isn't really much I can do other than to try and convince him that they should do the right thing and honor this rate. The GM at my current hotel brought up an interesting analogy on the other side. She said, what if the hotel had mistakenly put a higher rate that evening of $699? And let's say 10 people booked it. Would they cancel their reservation like they did ours and say they couldn't honor it? I highly doubt it. This AC GM needs to do the right thing and honor that rate for the 1 night in error. That's my opinion at least.

I would have let it sit a few days before calling - for this reason to see if they are just amateur hour. Have not decided yet how I will respond but I will add it was a missed opportunity for some marketing.

Happy Feb 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Marketing for what? The locust who decent on the error rate? They may be better off not to have this kind of customers to "discover" their hotel. From its root (a Spanish chain) it has never been known for being generous just by how they meticulously distinguish their rooms down to whether the coffee/tea making pots are available depending on the rates booked... for those who are unwashed and think this is just another low end brand of the big Marriott "family".

HHonors OUTSIDER Feb 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30781692)
For all we know, the AC general manager might offer some special rate for people who booked the $3 rate, although it won't be $3. Perhaps the person who received the email (I'm not sure whether it's the OP or someone else) should contact the GM about rebooking and see what is offered.

The property definitely 100% mishandled it. They should not of cancelled the reservations. The first step is contact all the bookings letting them know the rate was an error but they can offer whatever in exchange allowing time of a week or two for the guest to accept or cancel.

Antarius Feb 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30783187)
Marketing for what? The locust who decent on the error rate? They may be better off not to have this kind of customers to "discover" their hotel. From its root (a Spanish chain) it has never been known for being generous just by how they meticulously distinguish their rooms down to whether the coffee/tea making pots are available depending on the rates booked... for those who are unwashed and think this is just another low end brand of the big Marriott "family".

Easy PR. CX screwed up spectacularly a few months ago offering sub 1000 USD roundtrips in F to the US from Vietnam - they owned it, honored it and earned some good press.

fotoflyer88 Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30783430)
Easy PR. CX screwed up spectacularly a few months ago offering sub 1000 USD roundtrips in F to the US from Vietnam - they owned it, honored it and earned some good press.

exactly.especially considering I doubt it was all 260 rooms that got booked at this rate. I’ll add that I’ve never stayed at an AC and imagine many others don’t know the brand in the USA either.

mikebor Feb 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88 (Post 30783640)

exactly.especially considering I doubt it was all 260 rooms that got booked at this rate. I’ll add that I’ve never stayed at an AC and imagine many others don’t know the brand in the USA either.

The General Manager never called me back today at all. I have never stayed at an AC but for me at least(not speaking for anyone else) this hotel's actions AFTER they realized they published a rate in error makes me less inclined to ever stay in one. Canceled everyone's reservation without even reaching out, never sent any correspondence until I left the GM a voicemail late in the day yesterday and then lo and behold - an email gets sent out soon after. Finally the lack of a callback from this GM after I left 2 messages and am an Ambassador member. Pretty bad all the way around if you ask me.

Happy Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88 (Post 30783640)

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 30783911)
The General Manager never called me back today at all. I have never stayed at an AC but for me at least(not speaking for anyone else) this hotel's actions AFTER they realized they published a rate in error makes me less inclined to ever stay in one. Canceled everyone's reservation without even reaching out, never sent any correspondence until I left the GM a voicemail late in the day yesterday and then lo and behold - an email gets sent out soon after. Finally the lack of a callback from this GM after I left 2 messages and am an Ambassador member. Pretty bad all the way around if you ask me.

The point is, they dont care, especially for the type of guests they dont want.

You can voice your displeasure everywhere on the internet, but that probably would not make any damage to the brand or the property when people learn the reasons of your rant - not getting the $3 a night error rate for a property in NYC Time Square...

It is nice when the airlines / hotels honor the error rates but please not kid yourselves that this would be good press for the airlines / hotels and you would bring business to them... Yeah right, with CX honored the mistake fares you would buy their premium cabin fares? Get real.

CX probably has done some calculation that for the money it pulls in, might not be too much less than letting those seats being redeemed by AA or AS members, or worse, fly the cabin almost empty.

Star_Guy Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Ughhhh the reply from the GM! This guy is a joke!

Thank you for your email response and understanding

As stated in my original email, we discovered this error that resulted in your reservations being made at the hotel at incorrect rates. Unfortunately, because of this system error, your reservation was canceled.

Your loyalty is extremely important to us. Due to this loyalty, I would like to offer you a 25% discount off of the actual selling rate of $229 (+ taxes per, night, per room, no meals included) for the night of November 24th, 2019 if booked directly through the hotel. This rate is valid for astandard king bedded room, max occupancy of two (2) people. Should you require a standard double beddedroom, max occupancy of four (4) people, I can offer 25% off the selling rate of $249(+ taxes per, night, per room, no meals included). While I understand that this is not a $2 rate, I hope you can understand that we are truly sorry for the confusion and want to do right by our most valuable guests, you.

The above rates will be valid for 2 weeks, until 3 pm EST on Friday, March 01, 2019; after this date rates and availability will be subject to change.

No discounted rates apply to upgraded room types.

As a reminder, Marriott Information may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including but not limited to inaccuracies relating to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Marriott does not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Marriott reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to Marriott Information, and to the products and programs described in such information, at any time without notice, including after confirmation of a transaction.

If you would like to move forward with this offer please reach out to me as soon as possible, as I am sure you are aware our hotel availability is limited.

I look forward to assisting you with rebooking and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

DJ_Iceman Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Seems perfectly reasonable to me--good service recovery by that GM!

Antarius Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30784190)
CX probably has done some calculation that for the money it pulls in, might not be too much less than letting those seats being redeemed by AA or AS members, or worse, fly the cabin almost empty.

One other factor is the structure of hotels vs airlines too. CX is a homogeneous entity, they own and operate their entire operation. This AC (as with most) are franchised, which changes the responsibility paradigm somewhat.

To me, Marriott Corporate should own this mistake and invest in some basic data validation. I work in enterprise systems and it isn't hard to put a check in that says "Hey, this rate is absurdly low relative to average/threshold/seasonal/geographic area", maybe you should check it again?

light02 Feb 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Probably we need to bring up the case to Marriott instead of dealing with the hotel manager. Why wouldn't they cancel any overpriced booking as price drops? It is ridiculous.

Repooc17 Feb 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Now, can someone post they will take the property and Marriott to court, just like in almost every mistake airline fare thread? :D

Originally Posted by light02 (Post 30784429)
Why wouldn't they cancel any overpriced booking as price drops? It is ridiculous.

Marriott has cancellation options, where you can cancel without incurring charges, and rebook at lower rates at the same property, or competing/nearby locations.