Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bon Voyage: When does this forum get renamed to "...Bonvoy..."?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bon Voyage: When does this forum get renamed to "...Bonvoy..."?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=KRSW;30728545]I dunno... it seems pretty obvious to me which thread belongs to which hotel group...
QUOTE]

Me too. If I'm searching the whole site, I'm not looking specifically for Marriott-related results. If I'm searching for Marriotts in NYC, for example, I would search just the Marriott sub-forum. Then I assume that all my results are related to Marriott and any of it's brands. So "Hotels in NYC" would make perfect sense as a thread in the Marriott sub-forum.

That said, I recognize the Moderators have a tough job organizing these threads and forums, as well as reviewing some of the ridiculous content we all add. So I appreciate the explanation for the naming convention. I still don't like it, but I now understand the intent and can accept it.
aaupgrade likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Why not "Hotels in xxxxx."? "Bonvey" is superfluous and annoying at best. JMHO
Agreed. But very much appreciate the background and rationale that hhoope01 provided. I appreciate the efforts of you and the other mods.

That said, what about "Program hotels in xxxxx."? That keeps it flexible and goes forward and backward to cover former SPG, RC, MR and Bonvoy or whatever they call it in the future.

"Marriott hotels in xxxxx" implies only legacy Marriott brand hotels
"Bonvoy hotels in xxxxx" isn't accurate and offensive to see FT embrace the company's branding
"Marriott Family hotels in xxxxx" implies hotels with say waterslides or facilities catering to a more traditional definition of family
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, I noticed both of those threads this morning as well and was trying to decide how to deal with both of them (and there is yet a third thread to throw in there as well "Marriott Bonvoy hotels near LaGuardia Airport (New York City)". So trying to figure out how best to deal with them. Right now, I'm thinking of closing the Starwood one and the LaGuardia Airport and add a final post to each with a link to the newer NYC thread. Normally, I try to not just react to something when I first see it. Instead I try to check out it out and work out how best to deal with it as that way I, hopefully, will have less rework later fixing what I broke because I didn't do any due diligence first.

BTW, whenever anyone sees these types of overlapping threads, you can always use the RBP button on a post in one of them to notify the moderators as it is very possible we haven't seen or noticed the issue yet.
Since you brought this up (please excuse me if you consider my suggestion to be improper in any way), I don't consider hotels near LGA to be in NYC. If someone needs to stay near LGA (missed connection and forced to overnight, or separate tickets with an early departure), they're interested only in information that pertains to airport hotels or at least hotels that are close and convenient for the airport. Similarly, if someone is coming to NYC, they don't want to stay near LGA/JFK/EWR unless they're very price sensitive and can miraculously find a good rate close to an airport.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Forum renaming will occur on February 13, the official date that Marriott has announced for the launch of Bonvoy.

Carol
Community Director
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:38 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since you brought this up (please excuse me if you consider my suggestion to be improper in any way), I don't consider hotels near LGA to be in NYC. If someone needs to stay near LGA (missed connection and forced to overnight, or separate tickets with an early departure), they're interested only in information that pertains to airport hotels or at least hotels that are close and convenient for the airport. Similarly, if someone is coming to NYC, they don't want to stay near LGA/JFK/EWR unless they're very price sensitive and can miraculously find a good rate close to an airport.
Not a problem and I agree with you. This is why I try not to make decisions and changes instantly. Earlier today, I did close the older SPG NYC thread and added a pointer to the newer "Marriott Bonvoy" thread, but left the LGA thread alone (for the same reasons you stated here.)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I appreciate everything the mods do here to make FT such a great experience.
The Bonvoyization of thread titles seems like an awful amount of work when "Marriott family" works well no matter who is added or removed from that family now and in the future.

Just curious, but is Marriott compensating FT for promoting the Bonvoy name and the effort required to make sure that name is more prominent across the Marriott boards? After all, a new name lacks value until it is recognized and used in casual conversation. It would make sense that Marriott might pay outside entities to use that name early and often while their own IT tries to update Marriott's own internet footprint with that branding.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
We've had this discussion already. It's clear to me that Marriott is the company, Marriott Bonvoy is the program, hotels are owned my Marriott Bonvoy not Marriott so they should be Marriott properties, and mods of this forum don't care and are naming them Bonvoy properties anyway.
1. This is FlyerTalk, a website about points and miles. Marriott Bonvoy hotels means hotels at which you can earn and/or redeem Marriott Bonvoy points and/or get Marriott Bonvoy elite status benefits. It's that simple! It's shorthand for "hotels at which you can earn/redeem Marriott Bonvoy points". And FTers are mostly interested in the hotels they'll earn, redeem and/or get status benefits from, not who runs them.

And points as well as elite status benefits are part of the Marriott Bonvoy program, not Marriott the company.

2. Marriott the company happens to have one brand out of 29 also called Marriott. So it would be very confusing to have threads all called "Marriott hotels in" when they are covering 29 brands, not 1. Calling them "Marriott Bonvoy hotels' is shorthand for "hotels in any of the 29 brands in the Marriott Bonvoy program".

3. As far as I know, all 29 brands participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program in all countries. It would be more complicated if this were Hilton Honors, where Hamptons in China for some reason don't participate in Hilton Honors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.